JR: Blues likely to stand pat at trade deadline

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

JR: Blues likely to stand pat at trade deadline

Post by cprice12 »

Posturing by Armstrong? Or is he perfectly happy not doing much at the deadline.
I would imagine it may depend on what Chicago and Nashville do. If they make some moves, maybe we retaliate...who knows?
But if you believe Armstrong, then it looks like Berglund will remain a Blue. :-|
Blues likely to stand pat at trade deadline
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... a36c3.html

WINNIPEG • As more big names switched teams Thursday, four days in advance of the NHL trade deadline, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong remained relatively quiet and hinted it may stay that way.

In a minor deal, the club reacquired forward Adam Cracknell from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for “future considerations.”

After the trade, Armstrong said the Blues’ depth this season, the lack of available impact players on the market and the club’s unwillingness to part with premium draft picks and prospects may prevent any more activity before Monday’s 2 p.m. deadline.

In the wake of Kevin Shattenkirk’s abdominal surgery, speculation has focused on the Blues adding an experienced defenseman such as New Jersey’s Marek Zidlicky or Arizona’s Zbynek Michalek.

“This just isn’t the year to get involved in that market,” Armstrong said. “The needs aren’t as great as they were. Our top-four defense, we’re not going to improve our top-four defense in this market. We just need to get Shattenkirk healthy. That will be the biggest deadline acquisition any team can make.”

The price for a “rental” defenseman is typically a first-round pick, and the Blues don’t possess one in 2015, sending it to Buffalo last February in the Ryan Miller trade.

“We just can’t be giving away first-round picks every year,” Armstrong said. “We went for it last year in acquiring a player that could push us deeper. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Obviously last year, it didn’t.

“We’ve been aggressive the last two years giving up a first-round pick to get (Jay) Bouwmeester (in 2013) and first and third to get Miller. This year’s team I think has more depth than those teams, so if we did nothing, I wouldn’t be shocked.”

The Blues did bring Cracknell, 29, back in the fold Thursday. The forward played four seasons with the Blues (2010-14). He will report to the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League.

“It gives Chicago a very good experienced player, gives us really good depth,” Armstrong said.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: JR: Blues likely to stand pat at trade deadline

Post by ecbm »

Not surprised. He's not posturing. I agree that there's nothing out there that the Blues can get that actually improves them but I think they'd always listen to offers. That's the only way you're going to move a Berglund. You come through the door asking for an asset, whether a rental guy or a pick/prospect and offering Berg, you'll get rejected or negotiated up. A team has to want him, or want someone else from us bad enough to take 21 too. Could still happen. Either way, at least some of his contract needs to go, now or in the off season. That's especially true if they plan to retain Ott, which seems likely.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Everything Army says in the article is how I've felt and thought the deadline would go . . . until we got Cracknell. My first thought when we made that trade is that he added depth to make trading a top 9 forward more feasible both in terms of a body to fill a spot and in freeing up salary.

I'm not sure we should do anything, but I thought the Cracknell acquisition was a sign that we would. Maybe not though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Good. This team just needs to stay healthy.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

[tweet][/tweet]
This is probably just speculation from JR, but he did speak with Armstrong and still sent out this tweet. He tried to convince us they were fine with Halak last year and he still pulled the trigger.

I believe they're going to make a deal to try and upgrade Stastny's line. I have nothing more substantial than anyone else to back that up, but I think that's the move they're angling for.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Stastny was supposed to be the upgrade, and for the money they spent on him, it's kind of ridiculous they should have to get someone else to make his line better. His job is to make his line better, not to need someone to elevate his own game. Retrospectively, they probably never should have signed him. Bummer of a contract, so far. I guess time will tell though. Just like patience with Berglund paid off... oh, wait.

Hey, Chris Stewart is available. Berglund for Stewart straight up! Do it!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Building on my joke about Chris Stewart being available...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... er=ya5nbcs

If this story doesn't sound almost like Army called Buffalo and asked about Stewart, I don't know what else to think.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Glencross would look good in Blue.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

glen a richter wrote:Stastny was supposed to be the upgrade, and for the money they spent on him, it's kind of ridiculous they should have to get someone else to make his line better. His job is to make his line better, not to need someone to elevate his own game. Retrospectively, they probably never should have signed him. Bummer of a contract, so far. I guess time will tell though. Just like patience with Berglund paid off... oh, wait.

You're not wrong. As for Stewart, he played with Stastny once upon a time, but man.....I feel a little queasy about that one.

Meanwhile, in Edmonton:
[tweet][/tweet]
[tweet][/tweet]

Now I don't watch the Oilers often (and by that I mean only when they play the Blues), but I know Oiler fans love Petry and don't want to see him go. 27 yrs old, expiring contract, righty.....stay tuned on this one.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:Stastny was supposed to be the upgrade, and for the money they spent on him, it's kind of ridiculous they should have to get someone else to make his line better. His job is to make his line better, not to need someone to elevate his own game. Retrospectively, they probably never should have signed him. Bummer of a contract, so far. I guess time will tell though. Just like patience with Berglund paid off... oh, wait.

I would like to have more from Stastny too. He's making $7 mil per year and not earning it. I don't think he's been bad or anything. But, I don't think he has played at a $7 mil level yet. Hopefully that will still happen though.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

If we get Petry, who do we give up? I'm sure we wouldn't trade a top 4 dman for him. That would defeat the purpose.

We have a little over $1 mil in cap space. And he makes a little over $3 mil. So we'd have to clear $2 mil to get him, which is where I think Cracknell could come in. Ott would come just shy of getting it done (if we add Cracknell to the NHL roster), but Berglund would do it straight up.

Does Berglund plus Rattie get it done? Maybe Berglund plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:If we get Petry, who do we give up? I'm sure we wouldn't trade a top 4 dman for him. That would defeat the purpose.

We have a little over $1 mil in cap space. And he makes a little over $3 mil. So we'd have to clear $2 mil to get him, which is where I think Cracknell could come in. Ott would come just shy of getting it done (if we add Cracknell to the NHL roster), but Berglund would do it straight up.

Does Berglund plus Rattie get it done? Maybe Berglund plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder?
I'll be honest, I don't know squat about Petry as a player. Is he a guy that's a late bloomer or having a career year?

One thing I saw on Twitter that I had completely forgot about, we've got Sobotka's rights in the bag if we need to trade them. Not that I want to see him go, but it would be a bonus of not giving up a current roster player or a prospect. It's somewhere in between.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:If we get Petry, who do we give up? I'm sure we wouldn't trade a top 4 dman for him. That would defeat the purpose.

I'll be honest, I don't know squat about Petry as a player. Is he a guy that's a late bloomer or having a career year?

One thing I saw on Twitter that I had completely forgot about, we've got Sobotka's rights in the bag if we need to trade them. Not that I want to see him go, but it would be a bonus of not giving up a current roster player or a prospect. It's somewhere in between.
I don't really know much more about him than what's posted in this thread. But, I think we could use help on defense, his contract seems doable with the cap, and he's apparently a fan favorite up there. I assume he'll be better than the Cole/Butler/Lindbohm split that we have going as our 6th defenseman.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Glencross would look good in Blue.
Traded to the Caps a minute ago. I would have liked him too.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

cardsfan04 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Glencross would look good in Blue.
Traded to the Caps a minute ago. I would have liked him too.
Bah! That seemed like the kind of move we would have made.

EDIT: Yeesh, he went for a 2nd and a 3rd. Okay, I'm perfectly fine with standing pat (or shedding Bergy/Ott payroll) with those prices.
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:

I would like to have more from Stastny too. He's making $7 mil per year and not earning it. I don't think he's been bad or anything. But, I don't think he has played at a $7 mil level yet. Hopefully that will still happen though.
Well it also doesn't help there's nowhere else to put him but the 3rd line. Backes, Oshie and Steen are back together as they should be, and with Lehtera working WAY better than most of us thought... where else do you put Stastny? Has to be the 3rd line with perennial underachiever Berglund. Not terribly fair to be putting Stastny in that position and then expecting him to be at 60 points for the season. Plus with a brand new guy at his level it just takes time. I'm not saying I'm happy we're paying $7 million a season for 36 points (so far) but it's not all his fault.

edit: I also really like Army's quote about 1st round picks. You can't keep the pipeline going with nothing but 2nd round+ picks every year. Blues were trading their first every season in the late 90's early 00's and when the well dried up it was DRY. In today's NHL you HAVE to keep the young, cheap players moving in your system. Should be obvious but some GM's are better than others.

Speaking of which, I don't think the Blackhawks have a pick in this draft until the 4th round haha.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

Well it also doesn't help there's nowhere else to put him but the 3rd line. Backes, Oshie and Steen are back together as they should be, and with Lehtera working WAY better than most of us thought... where else do you put Stastny? Has to be the 3rd line with perennial underachiever Berglund. Not terribly fair to be putting Stastny in that position and then expecting him to be at 60 points for the season. Plus with a brand new guy at his level it just takes time. I'm not saying I'm happy we're paying $7 million a season for 36 points (so far) but it's not all his fault.

edit: I also really like Army's quote about 1st round picks. You can't keep the pipeline going with nothing but 2nd round+ picks every year. Blues were trading their first every season in the late 90's early 00's and when the well dried up it was DRY. In today's NHL you HAVE to keep the young, cheap players moving in your system. Should be obvious but some GM's are better than others.

Speaking of which, I don't think the Blackhawks have a pick in this draft until the 4th round haha.
Yeah, that's a good point about him being pushed to the 3rd line. Looking solely at his drop in production and not the circumstances surrounding it is a bit myopic for sure. I still hope his production increases though.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

My avs buddy said he wouldn't worry about Stastny until a full season had gone by and we got to see what he does late in the season and in the playoffs, that he heats up late. Hopefully the last couple of games are the signs of that, and not just outliers.

Definitely does look like Stastny and Jaskin are starting to play very well together (seeing Jaskin with the puck and hearing his name a LOT the past few games) and they're showing up on the scoreboard. Berglund looks more effective next to them too.

Continued improvement from that line + getting Shatty back is all the trading we need to do, IMO. If we can unload Berglund and Ott, then do it in a heartbeat, but otherwise, stick with what's working.