The Official Prospects Thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Official Prospects Thread

Post by glen a richter »

A couple of guys I like there... Popugayev and Comtois.

Re: Our present prospects, I see no reason why Tage Thompson shouldn't be on the team right now, but I guess with us going nowhere, it's good for him to get some playing experience in Chicago that he wouldn't get under Yeo. I can't imagine Kyrou making the team next year but stranger things have happened. He's having a hell of a season, but he's also riding a 28 game, or something like that, point streak. I think another season with production like what he's done this year and he's a lock to make the team the year after, that being the year Stastny's contract is up and off the books if I'm not mistaken. In-house replacement, minus $7 mil that can be spent elsewhere.

Thompson absolutely has to replace Lehtera though, there's no question.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Realistic draft option is Suzuki. Only knock on the kid is size, but that's a problem with our current management and coaching staff.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm sure this won't happen, but we do have 2 picks... trade up? Both picks and a lousy contract can get you up decently high, particularly if your trade partner needs to get to the cap floor and may be willing to take Lehtera's albatross of a deal. Not #1 high because after Nolan Patrick there aren't any other guys who could legitimately be the #1 pick, not like last years draft. But I could absolutely see Vegas wanting to wheel and deal.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

glen a richter wrote:A couple of guys I like there... Popugayev and Comtois.

Re: Our present prospects, I see no reason why Tage Thompson shouldn't be on the team right now, but I guess with us going nowhere, it's good for him to get some playing experience in Chicago that he wouldn't get under Yeo. I can't imagine Kyrou making the team next year but stranger things have happened. He's having a hell of a season, but he's also riding a 28 game, or something like that, point streak. I think another season with production like what he's done this year and he's a lock to make the team the year after, that being the year Stastny's contract is up and off the books if I'm not mistaken. In-house replacement, minus $7 mil that can be spent elsewhere.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I understand the situation is that Thompson can play for an AHL team on a PTO (professional tryout contract) and not burn a year of his pre-RFA rights. If he plays directly for the NHL team, he burns one year for just a few weeks play. Clearly better for him to play for The Wolves. Even without that, Thompson is a "beanpole", and needs to gain a lot of strength and bulk to withstand The NHL's heavier hitting. Let him have this summer to get him more ready for the rigours of NHL play. And let him play on a stacked team that will likely go a lot farther in The AHL playoffs than The Blues will go in The NHL, so he can get more pro games in.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Robb_K wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I understand the situation is that Thompson can play for an AHL team on a PTO (professional tryout contract) and not burn a year of his pre-RFA rights. If he plays directly for the NHL team, he burns one year for just a few weeks play.
This is correct. However, no matter what, Thompson's entry level contract kicks in next season starting the clock on the RFA rights. Next season someone has to replace Lehtera and if he isn't replaced, something is seriously wrong with Blues management for continuing to keep him on the roster. Thompson is the top candidate for 2017-18 to take that role.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kyrou extended his point streak to 29 games - 2 A, +3, 6 shots on goal last night.

63GP
30G
62A
50.1% on faceoffs

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

My concern about Kyrou is that we had a prospect a while back, forgot his name, but he scored about a zillion points playing for Dave Lowry, comes to the AHL and flamed out. I'd like to see what Kyrou can do at Chicago before we rush him up.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

You are thinking of Brett Sonne who had one really good season '08-09 for the Hitmen. Before that he hadn't done much, so that one season was an outlier and it was his 5th season in the WHL and was already 20 years old when that happened. 20 is ancient for a WHL player.

Kyrou is in his 3rd season with the Sarnia Sting and has shown steady progression, not a major leap like Sonne did. Also, Kyrou is only 18.

Code: Select all

Jordan Kyrou
Season	 Team	  Lge	GP	G	 A	Pts	PIM	+/-	GP	G	A	Pts	PIM
2014-15	Sarnia	OHL	63	13	23	36	12	8	5	1	5	6	0
2015-16	Sarnia	OHL	65	17	34	51	14	13	7	1	6	7	2
2016-17	Sarnia	OHL	63	30	62	92	36	6					

Brett Sonne
Season	 Team	   Lge	GP	G	A	Pts	PIM	+/-	GP	G	A	Pts	PIM
2004-05	Calgary	WHL	 6	 0	 0	 0	2	-4	--	--	--	--	--
2005-06	Calgary	WHL	64	12	9	21	38	6	13	1	2	3	8
2006-07	Calgary	WHL	71	21	9	30	65	3	18	5	1	6	22
2007-08	Calgary	WHL	29	8	12	20	12	10	16	3	1	4	14
2008-09	Calgary	WHL	62	48	52	100	58	39	14	7	9	16	18
Far more confident in what Kyrou can provide in the near future.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Looks like the Connor Bleakley project isn't working out. He was sent to the Missouri Mavericks (ECHL) recently.

He is apparently doing far better with the Mavericks. Although it can't be said he wasn't given a shot with the Wolves playing in 44 of 60 games. Moving down a level and performing isn't why the Blues took a shot when drafting him. We'll see if he can maintain a better level of play at the lower level.

GP  G  A  P PIM  +/-
Wolves    44  2  8  10  8  -3
Mavericks  3  1  3   4  0  +2

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:I'm sure this won't happen, but we do have 2 picks... trade up? Both picks and a lousy contract can get you up decently high, particularly if your trade partner needs to get to the cap floor and may be willing to take Lehtera's albatross of a deal. Not #1 high because after Nolan Patrick there aren't any other guys who could legitimately be the #1 pick, not like last years draft. But I could absolutely see Vegas wanting to wheel and deal.
Vegas is so interesting. Especially if they don't win the lottery and fall to pick 5-6 I could see them making a deal if they're not feeling whatever prospect they'd be looking at.

That being said, it's an open secret that you draft and develop to succeed in this league so I could also see them holding very firm on their 1st and 2nd round picks just to get some kids in the pipeline. As with every team, they're not going to do anyone any "favors" unless it clearly and obviously improves their team. Lehtera isn't going to do that without some other significant compensation attached to it.

edit: When was the last time a top 5 pick was traded at the draft? It's been years, I know that. It just doesn't happen any more.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

And McPhee rebuilt the Capitals via the draft. While they haven't won a Cup, yet, they have been contenders following his rebuild. That guy knows what he's doing and won't give up high draft picks without getting a quality player in return.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

glen a richter wrote:A couple of guys I like there... Popugayev and Comtois.

Thompson looks a lot more like a RW. Despite his playing several games with The Wolves at the end of this season, I think he should and will start next season with The Wolves, and play about 30-35 games wit them, before coming up to The Blues to play 3rd Line RW. Barbashev has proven that he's ready to stay in The NHL, so he should start with The Blues from Day 1 of next season.

IF The Blues can entice Las Vegas to choose Jori Lehterä in The Expansion Draft (maybe by giving them a 2nd round draft choice, or Carl Gunnarsson), AND they don't add a Top 6 centre through trade or free agency), then The Blues' centers would look like this: 1) Stastny, 2) Berglund (ouch!), 3) Barbashev, 4) Brodziak. So Tage would better serve The Blues as the 3rd Line RW, assuming The Blues can't add a veteran RW to move Perron down to Line 3.

Kyrou is definitely not ready to play in The NHL. I assume he will not yet reach his 20th birthday during next season. So, he'll be ineligible to play in The AHL. So, he should play another year in The OHL, where he'll be able to dominate that league.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but the way I understand the situation is that Thompson can play for an AHL team on a PTO (professional tryout contract) and not burn a year of his pre-RFA rights. If he plays directly for the NHL team, he burns one year for just a few weeks play.
This is correct. However, no matter what, Thompson's entry level contract kicks in next season starting the clock on the RFA rights. Next season someone has to replace Lehtera and if he isn't replaced, something is seriously wrong with Blues management for continuing to keep him on the roster. Thompson is the top candidate for 2017-18 to take that role.
I'm frankly shocked Tage has turned pro. Granted, I didn't see the strides this kid made in one season but there were numerous criticisms of this kid and was (I thought) viewed as a "risky" first round pick (lack of non-PP offense, not using his big body, just a raw prospect). Sounded like he was going to be a 4 year project. For him to already be up in the AHL... again, I'm shocked.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
theohall wrote:
I'm frankly shocked Tage has turned pro. Granted, I didn't see the strides this kid made in one season but there were numerous criticisms of this kid and was (I thought) viewed as a "risky" first round pick (lack of non-PP offense, not using his big body, just a raw prospect). Sounded like he was going to be a 4 year project. For him to already be up in the AHL... again, I'm shocked.
That PP only thing is gone. 12 of 19 goals this season were not on the PP and over 2 seasons at UConn, he was almost a point/game player (80 GP, 33G 31A .8/gm). Basically, he isn't going to improve any more at UConn in terms of preparing for the NHL. Already led their team in scoring as sophomore at Age 19 and doesn't turn 20 until October. Even if he isn't on the Blues next season, but is there in 2018-19, it would be the same age as when Tarasenko played his first NHL games. So he's on track.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
theohall wrote:
He already uses his body in establishing position in front of the net and winning puck battles. I can't wait to see how he looks and plays next season after a summer of intensive weight training. Same for Sanford, who is another tall skinny kid who will grow into his tall frame. With Parayko, The Blues may have both size and skill in several players for the first time in many years.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Currently, mynhldraft.com which I don't consider especially reliable, has the Blues taking LW Isaac Radcliffe and LW/RW Kailer Yamamoto with the two first rounders. Not sure what the immediate plans are for the draft but I like the idea of getting some wingers who can hopefully add to the offense down the line. We pretty much got center under control for a while with last years draft.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Considering Armstrong's general aversion to drafting small players, Yamomoto is probably not someone the Blues draft. He is a 5'8 159 lb winger. He's smaller than Fabbri. Yamamoto is ranked as high 14th and as low as 29th. The kid is skilled, but that size thing, especially considering how the Blues normally draft...

A more likely candidate, although a C, is Nick Suzuki (5'11 183) who they would move to wing. Suzuki is ranked between 21st and 28th.

Ratcliffe (6'5 194) is exactly the kind of winger Armstrong prefers. Not sure he will be available. He's ranked as high as in the top 10 prospects and as low as 29th.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues prospect Evan Fitzpatrick signs entry-level deal

Just like the article says, don't expect much unless he magically improves over night, even though he was ranked as the 2016 top ranked North American goalie prospect. That last part is kind of surprising with guys having way better numbers than him in the QMJHL. The ranking seems like it's based almost entirely around 1 playoff performance. Staying with his junior team might give him a chance to improve, but he will turn 20 next January and that age limit forces the ELC to start.

His only notable record in his 3 years with Sherbrooke isn't positive:
Most OT losses in a season (6) - that's a lifetime QMJHL record for now.

Only thing I can see standing out is he's a leftie goaltender, which is rare.

Season	Team	GP	W	L	T	Mins	     GA	 SO  GAA	 SH	  SAV%	 SGA	GAS  SSH  SSA%
14-15 Shrbrke	32	13   14	-	1689:14	96	 1	3.41	828	 0.884	29.4	6	18	0.667
15-16 Shrbrke	54	18   34	-	3067:23	175	2	3.42	1678	0.896	32.8	6	16	0.625
16-17 Shrbrke	49	16   31	-	2740:39	158	1	3.46	1569	0.899	34.4	4	10	0.600
Total       	135	47   79	-	7497:16	429	4	3.43	4075	0.895	32.6	16  44	0.636
PLAYOFFS
Season	Team	GP	W	L	T	Mins	    GA	SO  GAA	 SH	  SAV%	 SGA	GAS  SSH  SSA%
2015 Shrbrke	  3	1	1	-	144:48	  11	-	4.56	75	 0.853	31.1	-	-	-
2016 Shrbrke	  5	1	4	-	316:53	  18	-	3.41	225	0.920	42.6	-	-	-
Total       	  8	2	5	-	461:41	  29	-	3.77	300	0.903	39.0	-	-	-
Career Total	143	49 84	-	7958:57	458	4	3.45	4375  0.895	33.0	16	44	0.636

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell they drafted Fitzpatrick. We have Binnington, Husso, Opilka and then Fitzpatrick is like taking a flying leap off a cliff. I'm also sure they'll draft a goalie in the later rounds this year so we'll have another kid to develop. I know you can never have enough goalie prospects, but Fitzpatrick is terrible.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The article explains the Blues probably won't tender Binnington - a 23 year old RFA for the 2nd straight season. This would make Husso the clear #1 for the Wolves. Unless Binnington is willing to be paid as an AHL backup and accept that role, it might be time to move on from him.