GDT #57: 2/17/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #57: 2/17/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Dallas Stars had hoped to extend their winning streak despite an injury to Tyler Seguin. Instead, they received a vision of what life could be like without their dynamic scorer.

The Stars face a difficult matchup without Seguin on Tuesday night as they visit the hottest team in the NHL in the St. Louis Blues, though Dallas has dominated the series of late.

Dallas (26-22-8) beat Florida 2-0 on Friday for its third straight victory, but that win came at a big price, as Seguin suffered a lower-body injury that will keep him out three to six weeks.

His absence was immediately apparent in the Stars' next game, a 4-1 loss in Colorado on Saturday.

Seguin has 29 goals and ranks near the league lead with 59 points. Dallas' 3.09 non-shootout goals per game is among the best marks in the NHL.

"In my career coaching, I've seen where sometimes this can make a team stronger," coach Lindy Ruff told the Stars' official website prior to Saturday's contest. "It can give another guy an opportunity and you don't use it as an excuse you use it as an opportunity. There's injuries on every team."

The Stars will rely on their offensive depth to fill the void, as they boast seven players with at least 10 goals, led by Jamie Benn with 19. Benn totaled three goals in the two games prior to Saturday.

Jason Spezza has also produced of late with seven points in his last five games. He scored Saturday for his third goal in four contests.

Dallas will need new goaltender Jhonas Enroth to step up while Seguin is out, but Enroth's fortunes did not immediately change in his first start for the Stars after being acquired from Buffalo on Wednesday.

His four goals allowed against Colorado pushed his goals-against average to 3.29, worst in the NHL among goalies with at least 25 starts.

St. Louis (37-15-4), opening a four-game homestand, has won three in a row after a 2-1 shootout victory over Florida on Sunday, giving it a 15-2-1 mark in its last 18 games.

Jaden Schwartz scored for St. Louis with Vladimir Tarasenko picking up an assist. Tarasenko leads the club with 29 goals and has scored five times in his last eight games, while Schwartz reached the 20-goal milestone for the second consecutive season Sunday.

"Those guys are very dangerous together," said defenseman Barret Jackman, who can pass Brian Sutter for second place on the Blues' all-time games list with 780 on Tuesday. "When they're stealing pucks like that, it gives us a lot of opportunities to score."

Brian Elliott picked up the win to bounce back from a rough stretch of performances. He had allowed 10 goals in his previous three games before Sunday's 40-save effort.

Tarasenko recorded his first career hat trick in a 4-3 overtime win over Dallas on Oct. 28 and scored again in the Stars' 4-3 victory over the Blues on Dec. 27.

Dallas has gone 4-0-1 in the last six in this series and won the past three in St. Louis.
STARS (26-22-8) at BLUES (37-15-4)

TV: FS-SW, FS-MW

Season series: Goalie Kari Lehtonen made 30 saves and Jason Demers' goal with 48 seconds remaining in the second period turned out to be the game-winner in the Dallas Stars' 4-3 victory against the St. Louis Blues at Scottrade Center on Dec. 27.

Stars team scope: The Stars, who are already without center Tyler Seguin (knee) and right wing Patrick Eaves (concussion), thought there was a chance right wing Ales Hemsky (lower body) could return against the Blues. But Hemsky did not skate Monday and did not accompany the team to St. Louis. Dallas is going to play 12 forwards, and one of them is left wing Antoine Roussel, who returns from a two-game suspension. Missing key pieces thrusts some younger players like Brett Ritchie and Curtis McKenzie into the lineup with the Stars pushing for a spot in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. "We're dealing with a little bit of adversity and you've got to wrap your arms around that," coach Lindy Ruff told reporters after practice Monday. "It's an opportunity that some of these young guys are welcoming. I want to see them be a part of the guys to help push us through here." Lehtonen is expected to get the start.

Blues team scope: Instead of taking a day off after traveling home from Florida on Sunday, the Blues held a full-squad practice. Forward Patrik Berglund left practice early after crashing into the boards and favoring his right leg, but coach Ken Hitchcock said he will be fine to play Tuesday. Left wing Alexander Steen and center Jori Lehtera had maintenance days and will play. Goalie Brian Elliott, who made 40 saves in a 2-1 shootout victory Sunday against the Florida Panthers, will start. Hitchcock said the Blues are looking at flipping centers Paul Stastny and Lehtera to "see if we can get some new energy from those two lines that might work for us." Hitchcock said left wing Chris Porter is "at that 100-percent range and eager to get in." Porter has been out with a left ankle injury since Dec. 29 (20 games).

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GDT #57: 2/17/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Post by cprice12 »

[nhlvideo]/videocenter/embed?playlist=754335[/nhlvideo]
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hitchcock said left wing Chris Porter is "at that 100-percent range and eager to get in." Porter has been out with a left ankle injury since Dec. 29 (20 games).
Last week I was wondering when Porter would be available again. The timetable for his return is about there. :okman:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I bleed blue(Im blue too. lol)

[youtube][/youtube]
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

GO BLUES!

On a side note, R.I.P. Steve Montador. So sad.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

First team to 4 wins.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:First team to 4 wins.
Looks like that's going to happen fairly quickly.

:doh:

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Not able to watch this one...was Ells injured or something else going on?
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Not able to watch this one...was Ells injured or something else going on?
Didn't see the first period, and I had to watch the rest of the game on mute, but it looks like Allen started the 2nd after Elliott gave up 3 goals in the first. :facepalm:

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Not able to watch this one...was Ells injured or something else going on?
Ells gave up 3 goals in less than 10 shots. He got yanked pretty quick.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

3 goals on 6 shots. Everyone has bad games now and then.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well that time it sure sucked to be right.

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

This wasn't on Elliott.

The team in front of him was LAZY! No fight whatsoever.
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not wild about the upcoming schedule. I get that the east is the inferior conference, but damn if we didn't draw three of their toughest teams all in sequence.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ibldbl wrote:This wasn't on Elliott.

Agreed, multiple odd man rushes (stop me if you've heard that one before). In one case, 5 guys were all keyed in on the puck carrier leaving Eakin to get on the door step all by his lonesome.

I felt like they should have called a time out after the 2nd goal. It's not hindsight either, I remember saying out loud (to myself), 'Call a time out.' They didn't and the Stars scored about 30-45 seconds later. Then they called the time out. By then, it felt like the Blues had checked out. They woke up a bit after that but could never muster a goal early enough to make it feel like they could dig themselves out of a 4-0 hole. Oh well, forget this one and move on. 'Twas a bad night and that's all it was.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ibldbl wrote:This wasn't on Elliott.

Agreed...somewhat. I wouldn't call them lazy...just some poor decisions that burned us.
I think last night was just one of those games where Dallas was very opportunistic on their chances. We made a few bad plays/bad decisions and they buried all of them.
After the first 10 minutes, we played better...but by then it was already 3-0.

Goal 1:
Letting Benn walk in from the top of the slot...nobody challenged him. Backes was picked at the faceoff dot...Oshie didn't challenge Benn at all and actually skated away from him and towards the goal for some reason...and Bouwmeester couldn't clear the slot and Elliott was badly screened. That was a really bad sequence.

Goal 2:
Butler pinching and missing the puck, leading to a 2 on 1 and then Petro leaving his skates and lying down...the pass eluded him and they buried it into the open side. I HATE IT WHEN DEFENSEMEN LEAVE THEIR SKATES ON A 2 ON 1. Petro does it too much and he always slides towards the shooter, leaving the winger wide open...and if the pass gets through, it's a great scoring chance. Elliott is supposed to take the shooter, Petro is supposed to take away the pass. That is the best way to attack most 2 on 1's. They teach you that at every level of hockey...I don't know why guys don't play them that way. If you leave your skates, you better damn well get the puck.

Goal 3:
Both Blues defensemen (Bouwmeester and Gunnarson) end up getting sucked behind the net as they followed the puck carrier (Barbutt) who backhanded a bad angle shot as he cruised by the side of the goal...it goes off Elliott's chest, rebound in the slot...Tarasenko, for some reason, had glided through the slot and away from the front of the net so he wasn't there for the rebound, leaving the slot wide open for Eakin to come in and bury the rebound top shelf. Poor play by Tarasenko...he has to cover the slot for the d-men who pursued the puck carrier.

I felt bad for Elliott last night.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Elliott had no chance on the 3rd goal, that's absolutely true. And while Tank didn't cover well-general rule is you shouldn't have both Dmen chasing the puck or whatever, being taken away from the low slot, when the opposition has possession. One guy clears the slot, the other stays with the deepest man and/or the puck. Make them beat you from the perimeter. Basic defense. We seem to have a bunch of D who overthink their jobs at times. Oh, and Elliott is screened on the first one (though I don't think so badly he couldn't have saved it) because, wait for it, Bouweester (and really, this could be any of the Blues' top four D) fails to clear the crease. Again. I know what I'd be doing to create goals if I'm playing the Blues in the playoffs. On the same topic-you're absolutely right about Petro's sliding on a 2-1, Curt. First, he'd do better to just take the pass away and that's fundamental defense, again. But if he does go down, he could do so and not cheat so much toward the shooter. Oh, and he also ends up on the goalie's lap a lot like that. You can't make many saves when you're forced to sit on your goal line facing shooters 2/3 yards from you.

Oh well, it's a mulligan. But the Blues do have a very tough schedule from here on out. The only silver lining is that the team with the second-toughest schedule is Nashville. Also, I guess it's a good warmup for the playoffs.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Kerbs and Pantger said this is the best ANY road team has played here all year. I agree. Stars looked possessed.