GDT #57: 2/17/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #57: 2/17/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Stars | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

I saw some tweets that today's practice was, shall we say, quite intense. Let's see some results on the ice this weekend because I'm concerned with the upcoming schedule we could just as easily be looking at a 4 game skid when Boston, Pittsburgh and Montreal are done.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

This proves it. This team isn't getting anywhere with Elliott in net. We can't bank our hopes on an unproven goalie and a rookie. Trade Allen for Bernier in Toronto. Trade Elliott. Try to get a solid veteran goalie like Andre Fluery.

:ninja:

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:This proves it. This team isn't getting anywhere with Elliott in net. We can't bank our hopes on an unproven goalie and a rookie. Trade Allen for Bernier in Toronto. Trade Elliott. Try to get a solid veteran goalie like Andre Fluery.

Maybe Ryan Miller is available.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:This proves it. This team isn't getting anywhere with Elliott in net. We can't bank our hopes on an unproven goalie and a rookie. Trade Allen for Bernier in Toronto. Trade Elliott. Try to get a solid veteran goalie like Andre Fluery.

I'm...I'm....I don't....I can't....but can you....what are you....I hope you are joking.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Totally agree w/ Stastny. It's what's plagued this team (and it's fanbase) for years.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

dmiles2186 wrote:

I'm...I'm....I don't....I can't....but can you....what are you....I hope you are joking.
Of course I'm not serious. I haven't checked facebook, but I'll bet there are similar comments from people who are serious.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:

lol, yeah
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

Of course I'm not serious. I haven't checked facebook, but I'll bet there are similar comments from people who are serious.
Haha good. I thought the ninja emoji indicated that but I got worried. I've been wanting to venture to FB just to populate our thread here but I'm too scared at this point.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:Totally agree w/ Stastny. It's what's plagued this team (and it's fanbase) for years.
Hmph. Disagree. Problems for two groups are not the same. Fans' fundamental problem is a team that never wins anything. Makes them negative and ready for things to go wrong. Truth is, Blues fans (reminds me of Mets fans these days actually) are afraid of optimism. Understandably.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Totally agree w/ Stastny. It's what's plagued this team (and it's fanbase) for years.
Hmph. Disagree. Problems for two groups are not the same. Fans' fundamental problem is a team that never wins anything. Makes them negative and ready for things to go wrong. Truth is, Blues fans (reminds me of Mets fans these days actually) are afraid of optimism. Understandably.
But I'm optimistic. It may not be smart, but I am. You look at it, we lose one game in a random month, be it November, January, February...and the fan base then will say our goalie sucks, that we're not built for a Cup, that this team is the same as all the others before it (it's happened here on multiple occasions). I think that negativity feeds into the larger problem, because then when it comes to April, it's like the fans (and team, it seems) are already fearing the worst instead of just bucking up and going at it.

I understand being leery, but you can be optimistic with this team. I've never understood the aversion to that. There's always a first time for everything. Say what you will about the Cubs, but at least their fans are optimistic (lovable losers, ahoy!). Our fan base is the sad sack version of that where every loss seems to be the end of the world.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
But I'm optimistic. It may not be smart, but I am. You look at it, we lose one game in a random month, be it November, January, February...and the fan base then will say our goalie sucks, that we're not built for a Cup, that this team is the same as all the others before it (it's happened here on multiple occasions). I think that negativity feeds into the larger problem, because then when it comes to April, it's like the fans (and team, it seems) are already fearing the worst instead of just bucking up and going at it.

I understand being leery, but you can be optimistic with this team. I've never understood the aversion to that. There's always a first time for everything. Say what you will about the Cubs, but at least their fans are optimistic (lovable losers, ahoy!). Our fan base is the sad sack version of that where every loss seems to be the end of the world.
F-. Too optimistic.

Who's predictable NOW?
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I think it's the vocal minority that you hear. Most Blues fans I know are pretty optimistic. They know we have a really good team, but they have been burned many times before, so they may not want to be too vocal...and they know that we are in a very tough division...so...

This team has as good of a chance to win as any team in the West...and I've said it many times...if we can get a few bounces to go our way here and there (like any team needs in the playoffs to win), we can realistically go to the finals and then who knows? This team has been plagued with just not getting enough good luck go their way in the playoffs. We played a hell of a series against Chicago last year, but we just didn't get over the hump. If we get a bounce in game #3 when we were outplaying Chicago and up 2 games to none, the series is over and we may even sweep. But we didn't get that and Chicago grabbed the momentum and edged us out in the next three.
I dunno.
It's more fun to be optimistic. I don't get the depressing pessimistic approach. Where is the fun in being negative towards a team you are supposed to be rallying behind? That's f'ing depressing.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I think it's the vocal minority that you hear. Most Blues fans I know are pretty optimistic. They know we have a really good team, but they have been burned many times before, so they may not want to be too vocal...and they know that we are in a very tough division...so...

This team has as good of a chance to win as any team in the West...and I've said it many times...if we can get a few bounces to go our way here and there (like any team needs in the playoffs to win), we can realistically go to the finals and then who knows? This team has been plagued with just not getting enough good luck go their way in the playoffs. We played a hell of a series against Chicago last year, but we just didn't get over the hump. If we get a bounce in game #3 when we were outplaying Chicago and up 2 games to none, the series is over and we may even sweep. But we didn't get that and Chicago grabbed the momentum and edged us out in the next three.
I dunno.
It's more fun to be optimistic. I don't get the depressing pessimistic approach. Where is the fun in being negative towards a team you are supposed to be rallying behind? That's f'ing depressing.
This, exactly. I'm more of a realist though, saying this team is indeed capable of going all the way to the cup, they've shown that many times before. It's just that either they don't play to their full potential for whatever reason, or bad luck bites us in the ass. But then again, great teams tend to have luck on their side too....
And yeah, pessimists seem to be the most vocal, and for example, I don't like to talk cup chances until after we progress to the second round of the playoffs, there's just no point to it. Especially not in the regular season, right now, all that matters is to get to the PO, and we'll see from there.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Stars had a lot to prove and did just that.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I'm optimistic too-constantly talking my brothers and dad off of ledges in relation to this team. But I know how I'll feel if we see a repeat of the last couple seasons' playoffs because of that optimism. It's not nice and I can understand why some people instinctively insulate against that.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:
I'm not sure what those of us unfortunate enough to be Mets fans have to be optimistic about. Short of a wicked good pitching staff that should contend for lowest team ERA, it'll be necessary since the offense will contend for lowest runs scored. Sandy Alderson said 89-90 wins, they'll be lucky to break .500.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I'm not sure what those of us unfortunate enough to be Mets fans have to be optimistic about. Short of a wicked good pitching staff that should contend for lowest team ERA, it'll be necessary since the offense will contend for lowest runs scored. Sandy Alderson said 89-90 wins, they'll be lucky to break .500.
I think Mets are an 85 win team this year. Great pitching and I think the offense will be improved too.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen