Scoreboard Watching

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scoreboard Watching

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cprice12 wrote:To me, Kane will always be the guy who beat up that Cab driver over pocket change.
That's not what happened. The version you told is the rumor version that has been spread and much like the telephone game it's taken on a new life as people have added to it over the years. On the Kings board they thought Kane had ruthlessly beat an old man - to the point of near death. On the Minnesota board one guy posted that the cab driver needed facial reconstructive surgery due to Kane's 'behavior'. Your version here is that he beat him up over 20 cents - which is the more popular version. None of these are based in fact. The true story is that yes Kane and his cousin acted improperly that night and yes alcohol was involved. An argument started cause the cabbie was ticked they gave him only $15 for a $14.80 cab fare. So the cabbie locked them in the back seat. If you're not familiar with Chicago cabs they remove the rear seat door latches to prevent people from jumping out without paying. So once you pay the driver unlocks the door and you get out. The Cabbie in this case left the doors locked and Kane and his cousin wanted to get out after paying. Apparently a punch was thrown at the driver and accounts differ on who threw it but both are guilty. It's a felony to assault a cab driver in Illinois for any reason. So yes Kane and his cousin were in the wrong cause you can't lay your hands on another -but these stories about the cab driver being 'beaten up' are wrong.
It didn't happen in Chicago. It happened in Buffalo.

And do you have a source for that version of the story?
The "version" I am aware of is what was reported by news organizations right after it happened...not some version I heard years later. I also just did a few different searches and didn't find your version of the incident...just a ton of articles and news reports which matched the version I am familiar with.

This seems similar to the vaccinations cause autism discussion. One study found a link (later discredited)...and 10,000 other studies find no link...yet you go with the one study that found a link. :wink:

[youtube][/youtube]

So if you have a credible link, please share.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: It didn't happen in Chicago. It happened in Buffalo.

The "version" I am aware of is what was reported by news organizations right after it happened...not some version I heard years later. I also just did a few different searches and didn't find your version of the incident...just a ton of articles and news reports which matched the version I am familiar with.

This seems similar to the vaccinations cause autism discussion. One study found a link (later discredited)...and 10,000 other studies find no link...yet you go with the one study that found a link. :wink:

I know it happened in Buffalo - I was trying to explain how cabs work because I know he was locked in the cab. There is no link to share. If you were part of the Hawks board and Indianheadnation at the time we had a guy who was a season ticket holder and a personal friend of the Kane family - both his parents, grandfather (before he passed), and Patrick himself. He was close enough to the family that when Kane got his 'day with the cup' in both 2010 and 2013 he was invited along with them and posted pictures of himself with the family. He also sits next to Kane's parents at games and posts pics throughout the season of him with the family, Patrick, etc hanging out at their house (Kane's mom is good looking btw). He shared the real story with some of us. Keep in mind I'm not saying Kane wasn't wrong cause he was - but this internet fabrication of beating someone up is just internet gossip. I'm going with the story from Kane's mouth to a trusted friend.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I see where you are coming from with the whole close to the family source thing, but everyone in prison is innocent, too. It is in Kane's best interests to promulgate the most favorable version of the event that he can come up with, and I am guessing he would be too embarrassed to tell his family the whole story because it's such a dipshit thing to have done.

Furthermore, it wasn't no contest or dropped charges - it was guilty to a lesser charge. With his cash and access, if that's the best deal he could make then I am inclined to believe there were serious, criminal actions on his part.

We weren't there, I haven't seen any of the police reports/records from the incident, and it never went to trial. There is no way to get the whole story in order to evaluate the evidence.

You will believe what you will, and I will still think Kane is a PoS. Great hockey player, no doubt, but PoS individual. The league would do well to get off his junk and find a better role model for the kiddos, that's all I think people are trying to say.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Don't care for Kane but don't really moralize about these people. I don't know them and they don't hold positions where there's a moral/ethical/philosophical responsibility to evaluate them as people. I don't wish injury on him and I won't question why others might like him. But I find him very unlikeable.

Curt-careful there. Are you sure you haven't supported a wife beater? Consider John Lackey, whom Cardinals fans embraced last season after the trade. Guy divorced his wife while she in treatment for breast cancer. And so on.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Kerfuffle wrote:

I know it happened in Buffalo - I was trying to explain how cabs work because I know he was locked in the cab. There is no link to share. If you were part of the Hawks board and Indianheadnation at the time we had a guy who was a season ticket holder and a personal friend of the Kane family - both his parents, grandfather (before he passed), and Patrick himself. He was close enough to the family that when Kane got his 'day with the cup' in both 2010 and 2013 he was invited along with them and posted pictures of himself with the family. He also sits next to Kane's parents at games and posts pics throughout the season of him with the family, Patrick, etc hanging out at their house (Kane's mom is good looking btw). He shared the real story with some of us. Keep in mind I'm not saying Kane wasn't wrong cause he was - but this internet fabrication of beating someone up is just internet gossip. I'm going with the story from Kane's mouth to a trusted friend.
So the source of the story that vindicates Kane is...essentially Kane himself? Not saying it isn't true but you can't fault people for being skeptical.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:

I know it happened in Buffalo - I was trying to explain how cabs work because I know he was locked in the cab.
Ok, gotcha.
There is no link to share. If you were part of the Hawks board and Indianheadnation at the time we had a guy who was a season ticket holder and a personal friend of the Kane family - both his parents, grandfather (before he passed), and Patrick himself. He was close enough to the family that when Kane got his 'day with the cup' in both 2010 and 2013 he was invited along with them and posted pictures of himself with the family. He also sits next to Kane's parents at games and posts pics throughout the season of him with the family, Patrick, etc hanging out at their house (Kane's mom is good looking btw). He shared the real story with some of us. Keep in mind I'm not saying Kane wasn't wrong cause he was - but this internet fabrication of beating someone up is just internet gossip. I'm going with the story from Kane's mouth to a trusted friend.
I can see how if you are a Kane fan, that this would be a version of the story you'd latch on to as being true because it's something you'd like to believe is true.
But if that is truly what happened, then it makes no sense as to why that wasn't the story that was released to the media by Kane's legal team.
That doesn't add up. And seeing as that story is nowhere to be found...anywhere, then I have my doubts about it's legitimacy.

Kane and Kane's lawyers not doing everything in their power to protect his image by not releasing "the real story" (which would gain him quite a bit of sympathy) seems very fishy to me. He stood to possibly lose millions in endorsements and he decides the best route is to plead guilty to a lesser charge so he can simply put it all behind him? Really? And possibly kiss goodbye to millions in endorsements?
Nah...that doesn't make any sense. You'd think he'd fight for his image and any future endorsement money.

I don't want to call the close friend of the family a liar or anything, but if his story is true, then I am apparently missing something here...because that story doesn't make any sense with how things eventually played out.

Kane also doesn't have an innocent reputation either, which doesn't help things. Like when he was accused of choking a girl at a frat party.
Here is a link to Deadspin talking about that incident and some others:
http://deadspin.com/5909246/reconstruct ... in-madison
Granted, a lot of the info on that site is all hearsay based on basically anonymous folks posting what they saw Kane do at some parties. Some of it may be true, some of it may not be true...but I think a pretty safe conclusion that can be drawn from this is that Kane likes to drink...he likes to get drunk...and when he gets drunk he is said to be quite the douchebag. Which makes me tend to believe that the whole cabbie thing is quite likely to have gone down pretty much the way the cabbie described.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

The team wanted the story to end and stop the bleeding. Our organization since McDonough took over has been extremely sensitive to the reputation of the Blackhawks in the media. And since the cabbie was hit there was fault here on Kane. So there was no reason to fight it nor keep the story going by 'giving his side'. Let's just say that Kane had enormous pressure from the front office to admit guilt, take his punishment and move on. Unfortunately over time people have embellished what happened to where it sounds like some loving 80 year grandpa was beaten near death by Kane which is completely false. Your comments about Kane liking to drink and becoming a douche when he does are spot on. I'm not his friend and personally could care less about him off the ice. As long as he puts the puck in the goal and stays out of trouble I'm happy. Bobby Hull was a SOB as well off the ice but is still loved in Chicago cause he scored and won the '61 cup with us.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:The team wanted the story to end and stop the bleeding. Our organization since McDonough took over has been extremely sensitive to the reputation of the Blackhawks in the media. And since the cabbie was hit there was fault here on Kane. So there was no reason to fight it nor keep the story going by 'giving his side'. Let's just say that Kane had enormous pressure from the front office to admit guilt, take his punishment and move on. Unfortunately over time people have embellished what happened to where it sounds like some loving 80 year grandpa was beaten near death by Kane which is completely false. Your comments about Kane liking to drink and becoming a douche when he does are spot on. I'm not his friend and personally could care less about him off the ice. As long as he puts the puck in the goal and stays out of trouble I'm happy. Bobby Hull was a SOB as well off the ice but is still loved in Chicago cause he scored and won the '61 cup with us.
That still doesn't make sense.
If the team is sensitive to the reputation of the Blackhawks in the media, why not fight for one of your Blackhawk players and state that the cab driver attacked him first over not getting tipped, instead of saying, "Yup, our guy assaulted a cab driver. Sorry about that."
To me, that hurts the reputation of the Blackhawks because now everyone thinks Kane assaulted a cab driver over 20 cents.

You said you are well aware that when Kane drinks he becomes a real douchebag. He was drunk that night of the cab driver incident, yet you are quick to dismiss Kane attacking the cab driver?

The story you are posting could be 100% true...because the only ones who know what really happened are the cab driver, Kane and Kane's cousin. But, to me, the story you posted doesn't really add up. And if that was indeed the real story, it would have certainly been leaked somewhere by someone...but there is nothing out there that tells that particular version of the story.

If I were a die hard Hawks fan, I'd root for Kane to do well because that would help the team I am rooting for. My initial comment stemmed from people who go out and buy Kane jerseys and showing that type of support for a guy who can be a real douchebag off the ice. There is a difference between wanting Kane to do well so it helps your team win, and spending $200 on a Kane jersey. I just wonder how those people felt about his off the ice stuff. I'd think the same thing if I ever saw anyone wearing a Mike Danton Blues jersey. I'd be like...wow...really?
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: That still doesn't make sense.
If the team is sensitive to the reputation of the Blackhawks in the media, why not fight for one of your Blackhawk players and state that the cab driver attacked him first over not getting tipped, instead of saying, "Yup, our guy assaulted a cab driver. Sorry about that."
To me, that hurts the reputation of the Blackhawks because now everyone thinks Kane assaulted a cab driver over 20 cents.

You said you are well aware that when Kane drinks he becomes a real douchebag. He was drunk that night of the cab driver incident, yet you are quick to dismiss Kane attacking the cab driver?

The story you are posting could be 100% true...because the only ones who know what really happened are the cab driver, Kane and Kane's cousin. But, to me, the story you posted doesn't really add up. And if that was indeed the real story, it would have certainly been leaked somewhere by someone...but there is nothing out there that tells that particular version of the story.

If I were a die hard Hawks fan, I'd root for Kane to do well because that would help the team I am rooting for. My initial comment stemmed from people who go out and buy Kane jerseys and showing that type of support for a guy who can be a real douchebag off the ice. There is a difference between wanting Kane to do well so it helps your team win, and spending $200 on a Kane jersey. I just wonder how those people felt about his off the ice stuff. I'd think the same thing if I ever saw anyone wearing a Mike Danton Blues jersey. I'd be like...wow...really?
Continuing to keep the story going only hurts the Blackhawks. And since the cab driver was hit he was guilty of being part of that even if it was the cousin who hit him. The whole 'wanting 20 cents' thing started on the internet and doesn't pass the common sense test - what millionaire is going to be upset about 20 cents? None. I've had a cabbie ticked at me because I didn't tip them - I had a cab fare of $7.75 one time and I gave the guy $8 and went to get out and he was insistent on giving me the quarter back - it was his way of saying ef you for not tipping. Now if I was a Blackhawk the story would have been told that I demanded my 25 cents back. The story I've told is not much different from the public one you are pressing here - it's just that I'm telling you the altercation did not start over Kane wanting 20 cents - it started over him being locked in the cab cause the cabbie was ticked about not getting tipped. You said I dismissed Kane attacking the driver but I've said in 3 posts now that the driver WAS hit - that means Kane was involved whether he threw the punch or not. In addition to the 'Kane wanted his 20 cents' internet rumor the other one I was pointing out was the cabbie was senselessly and ruthlessly beaten to near death, facial construction, and add any other twist to it that people are throwing in there to embellish the story.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I hate Kane as much as anybody, but my first reaction when reading kerfuffle's version is that it made sense with one exception:
Apparently a punch was thrown at the driver
That seems like the absolute minimum plausible admission being made. My guess is that it was a bit more than that.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Yay! Scoreboard watching!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Nashville loses, Chicago wins tonight.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I removed a number of the posts that drug this thread way off topic...including some of my own.
Carry on.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Detroit beats Nashville 4-3 in regulation. Bang biscuit.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Nashville has now lost three straight.
We're 4 pts. down with a game in hand.
Nashville hadn't lost two in a row all year, and now they have lost three straight. The door seems to be opening a bit fellas.

Los Angeles has now lost 3 straight, after winnning 8 straight...and they have slipped back to 9th place. I'd love to see them miss the playoffs.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Now we all know I hate the Rangers probably more than anyone else here, but I'm thrilled that they not only beat Nashville but made Nashville look silly in the process.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

We all knew NSH would slip. Hope the Blues can take advantage. Would be sweet to the hawks and the mustard beating the crap out of each other in round 1.

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

Preds lose again, to Devils! :grin:
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

crazyhorse wrote:Preds lose again, to Devils! :grin:
We almost control our own destiny now.

Preds are up 4 pts, but we have 2 games in hand. So, if we both win out, we'd tie. But, they have 3 more ROW's than us, so they'd win the tiebreaker even if we get 2 ROW's in our extra 2 games.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

crazyhorse wrote:Preds lose again, to Devils! :grin:
I watched the last 10 minutes of the game. Good stuff.

It's nice having two games in hand and only being 4 pts. out. Gotta win those games in hand though, otherwise they don't mean squat.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO