GDT #55: 2/12/15 | 6:30PM CST | @ Lightning | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #55: 2/12/15 | 6:30PM CST | @ Lightning | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

[nhlvideo]/videocenter/embed?playlist=750019[/nhlvideo]
cprice12 edit - Added the game preview video from nhl.com, using the new nhlvideo bbcode.
The Tampa Bay Lightning feel as if they're getting a dose of playoff action in the midst of one of their toughest stretches of the season.

It likely won't get easier against a St. Louis Blues team that is excited to have a healthy forward rotation.

Before embarking on a five-game western trip, the Lightning host the Blues on Thursday night looking to avenge a recent defeat.

Tampa Bay (34-16-6) sits atop the Eastern Conference and is poised to stay there through a gauntlet of tough opponents and an extended period away from home.

The Lightning beat Pacific Division-leading Anaheim 5-3 on Sunday before Tuesday's 3-2 overtime loss at Nashville, which has the most points in the NHL. They'll face San Jose, Los Angeles and the Ducks - all battling for postseason positioning - before ending the trip with a back-to-back set against Arizona and Colorado.

''Playoffs are going to be those kind of teams every single night,'' said forward Brett Connolly, who scored after having two assists against the Ducks. "We're playing a lot of good teams this month, so we've got to be ready.''

Tampa Bay is 7-2-2 in its last 11, and coach Jon Cooper knows every point is important when it comes to the playoff race. The Lightning lead Montreal by one point for the conference lead, but the Canadiens have three games in hand.

''(We fell behind) 2-0 in arguably the hardest place to play if you're going record-wise in the league, against the team with the most points in the league,'' Cooper said. ''You eke a point out of it, so you can't be displeased with that.''

The Lightning picked up a point in a 2-1 loss to the Blues on Feb. 3, but St. Louis (35-15-4) won for the fourth time in five meetings on Jaden Schwartz's overtime goal.

Vladimir Tarasenko's goal with 3:10 left in regulation tied it. Neither he nor Schwartz had a point in Tuesday's 2-1 win over Arizona, but the return of Jori Lehtera to their line provided a boost in other ways.

Lehtera had missed the previous six games with a concussion, and coach Ken Hitchcock was happy to have him reunited with Tarasenko and Schwartz on the second line while assembling Dmitrij Jaskin, Paul Stastny and Patrik Berglund on another.

Jaskin scored the winner in the middle of the second period.

"I think everybody saw how much we missed Lehtera," said Hitchcock, who tied Dick Irvin for fourth on the all-time wins list with No. 692. "Lehtera is a big help to Tarasenko and Schwartz and secondly, Stastny's line's got great chemistry. They've got weight, they've got size."

The Blues, who avoided losing three straight in regulation for the first time this season, are four points behind the Predators in the Central Division race.

"We've got to expect these types of games every night for the rest of the year," Hitchcock said.

Brian Elliott will be back in net after Jake Allen stopped 25 shots against the Coyotes. Elliott made 30 saves in the first meeting with the Lightning before allowing seven goals while dropping his next two starts.

Tampa Bay's Ben Bishop stopped 16 shots against his former team, beginning a three-start stretch during which he has just an .855 save percentage.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #55: 2/12/15 | 6:30PM CST | @ Lightning | FSMW/KMOX

Post by ecbm »

Good test, this. Chance for Elliott to get his head out of his...

Let's see what you got, Blues!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I'm excited to have healthy forwards, but I am curious to see how the D plays against a real team this time.

If Shatty is to be out as long as indicated, they will need to get some things sorted out and soon.

I think this will be a high scoring game... and I don't see us winning on the road unless we can score 5 or six on Bishop.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If we win this game... all will be well and everyone will be happy that the Blues are rolling again and only 2 pts out of 1st in the conference (if Nashville loses).

If we lose this game... people will start to freak out about how we need to trade for a defeseman, will complain about how Elliott isn't "the guy" we need in net, and about how this team doesn't have what it takes.

There really is no middle ground...especially on Facebook. :grin:

The truth is, this is a road game against a very, very good team. This is going to be a tough game to win.
The Lightning are 22-5-1 at home and are tied with Nashville for the most home wins in the NHL.
They'll certainly want revenge from last game in St. Louis where they played very well, only to lose in OT. Surely they feel they deserved a much better fate in that game.

With us in their building and them wanting revenge from last game...and us not having Shattenkirk... and Lehtera JUST getting back and probably not at 100%, and to be honest, we haven't played great hockey over the past few games...I don't have a good feeling about this game at all.

Don't get me wrong though, we CAN absolutely win this game, but things are currently trending against us going into this game.
I certainly wouldn't put money on us winning tonight. Let's hope I am wrong.

With that said... watch us win 5-1. :letsgoblues:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Very nervous about this game...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

5 or 6 on Bishop isn't happening.

4-2 loss
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Oh, the pessimism! Stamkos is only a human!

5-0 Blues, with a Stamkos hat trick into his own net.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

5-4 Blues, agree it'll be a tough slog.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

glen a richter wrote:5 or 6 on Bishop isn't happening.

4-2 loss
Remember when we used to shit all over Bishop on this board? Really does go to show that goalies are impossible to judge. I also think hockey goalies are particularly susceptible to "grass is greener" treatment from their teams' fans.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

In retrospect, I'd rather have Bishop instead of Allen.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Since it's my birthday today I expect we'll get soundly trounced. :grin:

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

3-2 OT loss. Hope I am wrong. It's just the Blues haven't played a full game in the past 3. Started slow vs Phoenix. Didn't finish vs Chicago. Shouldn't have to mention Columbus. Were able to get away with sleep-walking through the game vs Buffalo and still controlling most of the play.

IMO, that Buffalo game did not help the Blues mentally giving them a false sense of security. Columbus should have been a wake-up call. The Blues woke up for 2 periods vs the Hawks, hit the snooze button, and finally really woke up part-way through the 1st vs Phoenix.

It would be nice to see a 60 minute effort - or 65 if the prediction is accurate - without the loss part.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Portland Blues wrote:Since it's my birthday today I expect we'll get soundly trounced. :grin:
Happy Birthday! Have a cold one on me.

So uh... do you have any beer?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

drwoland wrote:
glen a richter wrote:5 or 6 on Bishop isn't happening.

4-2 loss
Remember when we used to shit all over Bishop on this board? Really does go to show that goalies are impossible to judge. I also think hockey goalies are particularly susceptible to "grass is greener" treatment from their teams' fans.
I'd say that Blues fans are about as bad as any other fanbase in the NHL at criticizing their goalies.

Case in point: Elliott was phenomenal a week ago and was the sole reason we beat Tampa 2-1. Has a bad game on Friday (not all his fault, defense in front of him was atrocious), now I see on social media he needs to break this 'slump.'

Also case in point: Jaro Halak. All Star. Netminder for a team competing for the #1 seed in the East.

And then obviously Bishop. Granted, that was a tough situation because there was just no room for him at the time, especially with Allen behind him on the depth chart. And speaking of Allen, he's not had a full season in the NHL yet and people are already selling on him.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

*Ahem* Roman Turek

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

gaijin wrote:
Portland Blues wrote:Since it's my birthday today I expect we'll get soundly trounced. :grin:
Happy Birthday! Have a cold one on me.

So uh... do you have any beer?
Thanks! Never far to go for a good beer here in Portland. :grin:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:*Ahem* Roman Turek
Glenn Hall
Jacques Plante
Mike Liut
Curtis Joseph
Grant Fuhr

They're not all bad.

And say what you will about Turek, but he was in net the only time in the last 28 years that the Blues have made the Conference Finals.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:*Ahem* Roman Turek
Glenn Hall
Jacques Plante
Mike Liut
Curtis Joseph
Grant Fuhr

They're not all bad.

And say what you will about Turek, but he was in net the only time in the last 28 years that the Blues have made the Conference Finals.
This is my exact argument yet every time I mention it, I get ripped a new one. Was he supposed to have a 0.00 gaa in order to be considered worthy?