Blues set ratings record vs. Hawks!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Blues set ratings record vs. Hawks!

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

RATINGS: Sunday's @StLouisBlues vs. Blackhawks gm was highest-rated regular season Blues gm ever on NBC in St. Louis (7.45), up 46% vs. 2013-14 avg (NBC PR)

7.6 in Chicago from 12:30-2, peaking at 8.9 from 1:45-2. 8.2 for STL in that time period, peaking at 9.3 at that same time.

Very impressive! I can't believe they still haven't give the Blues and Hawks a game at Busch!

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Blues set ratings record vs. Hawks!

Post by Kerfuffle »

I wonder if the Easter Sunday game on April 5th will be moved to a day game and be picked up as game of the week on NBC. Usually it would be a no-brainer and an easy yes but last year (or the year before) we had a prime matchup on Easter Sunday and they kept it a night game. NBC might not want a game on Easter Sunday as everyone is at church and Easter Bunny hopping with the kids.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Kerfuffle wrote:I wonder if the Easter Sunday game on April 5th will be moved to a day game and be picked up as game of the week on NBC. Usually it would be a no-brainer and an easy yes but last year (or the year before) we had a prime matchup on Easter Sunday and they kept it a night game. NBC might not want a game on Easter Sunday as everyone is at church and Easter Bunny hopping with the kids.
By the way, great STL/CHI doubleheader that day. Blues/Hawks early, Cards/Cubs (opening night in MLB) that night.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I wonder if the Easter Sunday game on April 5th will be moved to a day game and be picked up as game of the week on NBC. Usually it would be a no-brainer and an easy yes but last year (or the year before) we had a prime matchup on Easter Sunday and they kept it a night game. NBC might not want a game on Easter Sunday as everyone is at church and Easter Bunny hopping with the kids.
By the way, great STL/CHI doubleheader that day. Blues/Hawks early, Cards/Cubs (opening night in MLB) that night.
Yeah, that's pretty awesome. I wish I could make it up there for those games.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

The Blues in the Stanley Cup might get as many viewers as the Cards in the WS or maybe more because this is virgin territory!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don't think there's really any scenario where the Blues will ever beat the Cards in the ratings.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

You realize even the putrid Rams this past season got higher ratings than the Cardinals in the PLAYOFFS? It was in Dan Caesar ' s column. It would such a rare and glorified event I think the Blues in the Cup finals could reach or exceed the Cardinals in the World Series. Remember many of the games will be on NBC so everyone can watch.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You realize even the putrid Rams this past season got higher ratings than the Cardinals in the PLAYOFFS? It was in Dan Caesar ' s column. It would such a rare and glorified event I think the Blues in the Cup finals could reach or exceed the Cardinals in the World Series. Remember many of the games will be on NBC so everyone can watch.
Here is a direct quote from Caesar's column on October 17, 2014:
Still, even in a rut, postseason baseball still by far outdraws everything else on St. Louis television.

And the aforementioned four Cardinals NLCS telecasts all beat what the Rams generated in the ratings wars on Monday night when they lost to the San Francisco 49ers.

That game generated a combined 16.0 rating — 8.3 on ESPN and 7.7 on KPLR (Channel 11).
http://m.stltoday.com/entertainment/tel ... touch=true
What column were you referring to? St. Louis can support the Blues and Cardinals as well as any city. The fans have proven that. But even if the Blues do the unthinkable (see Cup, Stanley), and draw 20,000 on the reg, the Cardinals will still own the town. As 2Pac once said, "That's just the way it is."
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:I don't think there's really any scenario where the Blues will ever beat the Cards in the ratings.
Probably not, but I really hope that STL would get hockey fever if the Blues make a deep run. I think because it hasn't happened in almost 50 years, people would tune in if the Blues were in the Stanley Cup Final.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:The Blues in the Stanley Cup might get as many viewers as the Cards in the WS or maybe more because this is virgin territory!
The Blues were in the Cup Finals each of their first 3 seasons of existence (granted, with no victories). Perhaps it is time to re-evaluate your definition of "virgin."

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Just like in 1994 when the Rangers were in the Cup fans did anything for a ticket because they called it "virgin territory" eventhough the Rangers won a Cup in 1940. The same way it's safe to say most Blues fans weren't even alive during their last Cup appearance and they didn't win anyway.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:I don't think there's really any scenario where the Blues will ever beat the Cards in the ratings.
Gonna have to disagree.
If the Blues make the cup finals, I'll pretty much guarantee that the Blues ratings would best the Cardinals ratings on the nights the Blues and Cardinals both play.
Stanley cup final game vs. a regular season baseball game?
Come on.
This city strongly back the Blues anyway, but you'll see the casual fans and people in general watching the cup finals if the Blues are in it...for a few reasons.

1) During playoff time there is a buzz in the air in St. Louis. Not to the same degree as when the Cardinals are in the playoffs, but there is certainly a buzz.
2) They get more coverage on the news, so more folks would hear about it and be interested that wouldn't normally be.
3) You see marquees around town with "Let's Go Blues" on them.
4) You'll hear people who don't follow hockey (or don't follow it closely) talking about the game or wanting to talk to you about it.
5) Everyone would want to see the Blues try to win their first cup. They'll want to be a part of that, if only watching it on tv.

The Cardinals are top dog in town. Always have been, and probably always will be...and rightfully so if you ask me. They have earned it, no question. But if you are talking about the Blues going for their first ever Stanley Cup vs. a Cardinals regular season game vs. Colorado/Miami/Atlanta/etc...the Blues will win that ratings war every time. It's not like the Cardinals play once a week. The Cards play almost every day. Folks can catch the Cards game the next night when the Blues are off.

I always find it shocking how many people whom I seemingly thought didn't really care about hockey, will approach me to talk hockey come playoff time. They are horrible at breaking down a game, but it's fun nonetheless. :grin:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

I bet the Blues Cup final ratings will come close to Cards world series ratings but the big IF is just getting there. People have been drooling in anticipation of a Cup final in St.Louis for decades!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

The Blues in the Cup finals?

Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Goon, image doesn't show on my Android phone.