GDT #49: 2/1/15 | 12:00PM CST | @ Capitals | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #49: 2/1/15 | 12:00PM CST | @ Capitals | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

WASHINGTON, D.C. - It’s a bit unusual for me, but I’d like to take a first-person approach to today’s blog so I can share a simple observation from this weekend.

This Father’s Trip, as great as I thought it would be, turned out to be more special than I ever could have imagined.

It’s the little things. Seeing Rick Schwartz pump his fists in the air when Jaden scored Thursday night, or watching Steven Backes high-five Bill Elliott after Brian Elliott made a shootout-winning save to end the game. It's the smiles, the camaraderie, the selfies on the team charter - or the dads that stop to take a photo with Martin Brodeur - it’s all a sight to behold.

It sort of makes me think of my own dad back home in St. Louis. A construction worker by trade, he never followed hockey when I was growing up. In fact, me shouting at the TV as I cheered on my favorite players and teams probably kept him up at night when he should have been sound asleep. His tomorrows always started a heck of a lot earlier than mine ever did.

No, he didn’t follow hockey. But he was there to fix anything that broke - an air conditioner, the ice maker, the driver’s side automatic door lock on my car - you name it and he fixes it.

Since I began working for the Blues in 2006, he’s picked up an interest in hockey, often calling to comment on his own observations about how the Blues are playing. Seeing the memories being made by the players and their dads on this trip, it has me wondering what it would be like if he was here in Washington, D.C. instead of watching back home in St. Louis.

Could he talk hockey or professional boat racing with Steve Ott’s dad, or follow Ken Hitchcock’s game plan in the meeting with the team?

Probably not.

But he could tell a good story. He could enjoy a cold one while watching the game. He could high-five Kevin Shattenkirk’s dad after back-to-back shootout-deciding winners or even fix the zamboni if it broke down.

Yep - he could do all that with the best of ‘em.

STORIES FROM THE TRIP

It would be impossible to cover the Father’s Trip from every angle - there are too many good stories to tell and not nearly enough time to tell them. If you haven’t already, below are some great links to the stories we've shared so far.

Video: Backes and Oshie talk about the bonds with their dads

Feature: Father’s Trip is special for their sons, too

Photos: Images from the trip, including Saturday’s visit to the White House

As with any video or feature story, a lot of content ends up on the cutting room floor. Here are a few notes we haven’t shared yet.

David Backes said he and his dad share a lot of similarities, and then went into slightly graphic detail about them. “People say we look alike,” David said. “We’re both about 6-foot-3, have a good metabolism and string-bean stature. Even in the hotel room - you get ready for bed and you see the hair patches on his chest are just as gross as the ones that are on mine.”

Willard Reaves remembers when his son, Ryan, began playing in a youth hockey league where hitting was allowed. Willard says Ryan “bashed a kid really hard,” which led to that kid’s parents verbally abusing Willard in the stands. “I just looked at them and said - I’ve got nothing to do with that,” he recalled.

Willard has attended three games this season, and Ryan has scored a goal in all three (Nov. 23, Jan. 29 and Jan. 30). So, will dad be attending more games?

“I will be coming to a lot more,” Willard said. “Being semi-retired, I’ll make it my mission to come to more games just to watch him play.”

Carl Gunnarsson’s dad, Bjorn, said he watches nearly all of his son’s games live while living in Sweden - even if that means staying up until 4 or 5 a.m. to do it. Bjorn made the trip to St. Louis to travel with the Blues this weekend.

T.J. Oshie trusts in that old “like father, like son” saying after seeing the dads on the trip this weekend. “I heard them in the locker room chirping each other and giving everyone a hard time,” he said. “They’ve only been together a couple of days, but they’re already acting just like us.”

SUPER BOWL PREDICTIONS

The Blues will be flying home to St. Louis after today’s game in Washington D.C. With a little luck, everyone will be home in time to catch the second half.

So, who are the Blues rooting for - the New England Patriots or the Seattle Seahawks?

In a random poll, it turns out they’re divided.

Barret Jackman: “The Pats will win. I think Tom Brady is one of the best quarterbacks ever and is going to get his fourth Super Bowl (ring). I’m saying 10-point win for the Pats.”

Ryan Reaves: “I’m going with Seattle. I don’t know what the difference (will be), but I just hate the Patriots. They are foes of my Raiders…I hate everything about them.”

Steve Ott: “I’m going to support local Windsor boy Luke Wilson, who plays for the Seahawks. Marshawn Lynch will be the difference. He’s going to go beast mode.”

Be on the lookout during the big game for a McBride & Sons Home commercial featuring Vladimir Tarasenko, Brett Hull and Kelly Chase. You can watch it right now by clicking here.

BLUE NOTES

Puck drop for today’s game in the nation’s capital is noon. NBC Sports Network and KMOX 1120 AM have the live coverage.

David Backes will pass Bob Plager on the team’s all-time games played list. Today will be David’s 616th regular season game.

Brian Elliott is expected to start in goal.

The Blues have points in a season-high 10 consecutive games (9-0-1).

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #49: 2/1/15 | 12:00PM CST | @ Capitals | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Lets keep this streak rolling!
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Tough afternoon game. Win in regulation, please.

Edit: Good point that I did notice from Willard Reaves: Ryan did score in all three games he's attended. Perhaps someone should buy the man seasons tickets. 41 home goals by Reaves and we've got a FHOF'er on our hands.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I wonder why that is. Does he get more amped up when his dad is there? Take more shots than normal? Get set up more by teammates? Or just a 3 game sample with a happy coincidence?

I think I read that he had a 2 goal game with his mom there once too.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Likely all of the above.

But I will say, he's an excellent hockey player for a goon. I don't feel like we open a giant hole in the roster dressing him on the 4th line. Not that he's a 20 goal guy, just that he skates, hits, and plays hockey more than some of the other players who have played the same role for us.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

My family and I will be at this one! Section 426. We have a group of about 10 people in Blues jerseys- let me know if you see us cheering after we score.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Likely all of the above.

But I will say, he's an excellent hockey player for a goon. I don't feel like we open a giant hole in the roster dressing him on the 4th line. Not that he's a 20 goal guy, just that he skates, hits, and plays hockey more than some of the other players who have played the same role for us.
Completely agree. I think that's how the position is transitioning overall. Fighting is down (I believe, don't have a stat though), so teams need something more from their enforcers.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:My family and I will be at this one! Section 426. We have a group of about 10 people in Blues jerseys- let me know if you see us cheering after we score.

[tweet][/tweet]

That your group gaijin?

Sidenote....HEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNOOOOOOTAAAAAYYYYY!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Jaykay
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Jaykay »

Hi Floks,

Is there no chat anymore?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Paul Stastny

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Shit what happened to Shattenkirk? Was in between radio in the car and video inside when the Caps goal and the Shattenkirk injury happened.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Apparently he took an elbow to the head, but they are calling it a lower body injury. I dunno.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Backes's hit was certainly dangerous, but an ejection???

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Per twitter, with boarding, if there's an injury to the head, it's automatic.

tbh, though, I thought it was a borderline ejection even without the blood. I disagree with Milbury that he should be suspended though. I mean, maybe a game. Maybe. But, I don't think it should happen.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

2 more points on the road. And, again finishing with only 16 skaters. The depth on this team is awesome.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

It looked like Shattenkirk did something to his knee when he kind of hit one of the forechecking Caps in the defensive zone. It just looked awkward. Kind of like he toe-picked his right skate right as the contact happened and his knee moved weird. The injury is definitely NOT from an elbow to the head.

Nice win with everyone stepping up with the injury and ejection. Cole looked really good.

3rd Caps goal - I have to wonder what the heck Bouwmeester was thinking. Three Caps on the right side of the ice, none on the left. One Blues player on the RW near the blueline, 2 on the LW with no one pressuring them - so he tries to go up the right side of the ice??? I know, there is the issue of going cross ice in your own zone, but with no one in position to even attempt to intercept that feed, it looked like it would have been a better play, instead of the turnover, pass, Ovechkin goal.

Peters did not look good in net for the Caps. The Blues did what Hitch has been saying for awhile - get the puck to the net, ping-pong it around, and goals will result. Exactly what happened twice today at even-strength. Better rebound control by Peters and the Caps might have pulled out a win.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Considering two shootout wins on back to back nights and then an afternoon tilt two days later which may as well have just been games on three consecutive days, I'll take a win anyway we get it. Sucks to lose Shatty, hope he's not out long term.

I do get kind of pissy when opposing teams throw in their back up goalie though. It sort of cheapens the wins, for me.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

glen a richter wrote:Considering two shootout wins on back to back nights and then an afternoon tilt two days later which may as well have just been games on three consecutive days, I'll take a win anyway we get it. Sucks to lose Shatty, hope he's not out long term.

I do get kind of pissy when opposing teams throw in their back up goalie though. It sort of cheapens the wins, for me.
Caps played last night, so they're just resting their starter, the same way we played Allen against the Canes. No-brainer for then given it was a cross-conference matchup.

I am as always perplexed by this team's propensity for picking up "upper body injuries." All 3 of the guys that have gone down banged their head/neck on something. Could all 3 be concussions? Same as last year.. same as the year before.. Is there something about the Blues training regimen that makes them more susceptible to these sorts of injuries?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:
gaijin wrote:My family and I will be at this one! Section 426. We have a group of about 10 people in Blues jerseys- let me know if you see us cheering after we score.

[tweet][/tweet]

That your group gaijin?

Sidenote....HEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNOOOOOOTAAAAAYYYYY!
No, not my group!

I did see a lot more Blues jerseys than I expected, though- including a Gretzky jersey and a Stempniak jersey.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Backes should get 1-2 games IMO. He went into the check looking at the numbers the entire time, plenty of time to let up, and still followed through with the hit.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I was working during the game yesterday. What happened to Shatty?
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW