Blues won't extend Tarasenko contract till after

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Blues won't extend Tarasenko contract till after

Post by crazyhorse »

2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blues won't extend Tarasenko contract till after

Post by cprice12 »

Goodbye Jackman and his $3.25 million...he is a UFA.
Goodbye Berglund if someone will take him and his $3.7 million in a trade...please?

That should just about do it if they can sign Tank for around $6 million per. I hate giving guys real early in their career those types of contracts, but with Tarasenko, you almost have to. He is an RFA though, so there is really little danger of him signing elsewhere if we can't agree on a contract before he is an RFA.

They can also say goodbye to Lapierre to free up $1.2 million if they need to. He's a UFA.
Lindstrom is at $700k and is a UFA as well.

Letting those two guys walk would allow us to easily sign Allen.
Then Porter can finally get some playing time and maybe bring up Ratti or dare I say Fabri if he is ready. Cole will get more ice time.

We're fine...as long as we can unload Berglund. Probably better off actually.
But if trading Berglund isn't in their plans...that kind of makes things a lot more difficult.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

BTW, Tarasneko's base salary is $900k this year. 900k. That's the bargain of the century.

He can make up to $850k in bonuses this season though....not sure what he has to accomplish to trigger that clause though. But I am guessing he'll hit those marks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team needs to lock up the STL line, the top 3 D are locked up long enough to not have to worry about that. The rest of the team will fall into place, but if the STL line disappears, so does a big chunk of the scoring and a number of wins. Bottom line, if they let Tarasenko disappear to any other team or back to the commies, they're making the mistake of the millennium.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:This team needs to lock up the STL line, the top 3 D are locked up long enough to not have to worry about that. The rest of the team will fall into place, but if the STL line disappears, so does a big chunk of the scoring and a number of wins. Bottom line, if they let Tarasenko disappear to any other team or back to the commies, they're making the mistake of the millennium.
There is no way. The Blues will follow the Chicago model: everyone is expendable but the explosive, young core. Senko, Schwartz, Petro, and Shatty....you all can stay. Everyone else: Put up or go elsewhere.

There is no way this team, after all this time waiting to cultivate offensive talent, is going to let these guys walk after they develop. The only problem is that in time, as their salaries rise, we might not have the top to bottom depth we enjoy right now.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I would include Lehtera simply because of the chemistry he already has with Tarasenko from before. The more he gets used to the North American game, the better he'll get too. That line, for as great as it is right now, is still improving. That's the important thing to remember.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

So I was checking the box scores and noticed that David Rundblad scored for CHI tonight...and that got me thinking about how Tank was secured.

We traded Ottawa David Rundblad, the 17th pick in 2009, for the 16th pick in 2010, which we used to select Tarasenko. That may end up being one of the most lopsided deals ever, lol.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

It would be really nice if the salary cap goes up a bunch. I know it's only going up a little next year, but hopefully within a few years it goes up a bunch. I've gotta think that Chicago made the Kane/Toews deal with the expectation of it going up a bunch.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:So I was checking the box scores and noticed that David Rundblad scored for CHI tonight...and that got me thinking about how Tank was secured.

We traded Ottawa David Rundblad, the 17th pick in 2009, for the 16th pick in 2010, which we used to select Tarasenko. That may end up being one of the most lopsided deals ever, lol.
Crister Ollson for Pavol Demitra lopsided. Also trading with Ottawa.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:Goodbye Jackman and his $3.25 million...he is a UFA.
Goodbye Berglund if someone will take him and his $3.7 million in a trade...please?

They can also say goodbye to Lapierre to free up $1.2 million if they need to. He's a UFA.
Amen. Wouldn't it have been a stroke of genius by Army not to sign Berglund? And it all it required of him was...nothing... :doh:
cprice12 wrote:That should just about do it if they can sign Tank for around $6 million per. I hate giving guys real early in their career those types of contracts, but with Tarasenko, you almost have to. He is an RFA though, so there is really little danger of him signing elsewhere if we can't agree on a contract before he is an RFA.
Why do you hate it? It's ok to underpay guys if they're young? And remember, this isn't f'in Berglund (who was given a raise after a poor performance on a bridge deal when nobody was dreaming of giving him an offer sheet)-if I'm a GM I'd make him an offer the second it was clear that there was any hitch in negotiations. If I'm a central division GM, I'm even quicker to do it. Give the kid a market rate salary and get it overwith. This nickel and dime nonsense will come back to bite the Blues if they continue with it.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:

Amen. Wouldn't it have been a stroke of genius by Army not to sign Berglund? And it all it required of him was...nothing... :doh:
Almost nobody wanted them to sign Berglund. Me included. I think it's the only real problem I have had with anything Army has done.
I didn't understand it at the time...and I don't understand it now. It seems very odd that the vast majority of fans seemed to want him gone, yet they signed him...and overpaid to boot, which is an extra kick in the teeth.

The fans were dead right on that signing, and Army was dead wrong. It boggles my mind how that can happen.
cprice12 wrote:That should just about do it if they can sign Tank for around $6 million per. I hate giving guys real early in their career those types of contracts, but with Tarasenko, you almost have to. He is an RFA though, so there is really little danger of him signing elsewhere if we can't agree on a contract before he is an RFA.
ecbm wrote:Why do you hate it? It's ok to underpay guys if they're young? And remember, this isn't f'in Berglund (who was given a raise after a poor performance on a bridge deal when nobody was dreaming of giving him an offer sheet)-if I'm a GM I'd make him an offer the second it was clear that there was any hitch in negotiations. If I'm a central division GM, I'm even quicker to do it. Give the kid a market rate salary and get it overwith. This nickel and dime nonsense will come back to bite the Blues if they continue with it.
I hate signing really young guys to a 6-year, $36 million contract or something like that, because if they end up being a one hit wonder and never see the kind of production they had their first year or two, then we're on the hook with that contract for a while.
I hate giving guys big contracts when they haven't proven to be that type of player consistently from year to year yet.

With that said, you do have to pay him more than we typically give players and for more years than we typically sign guys for and hope that he continues to do what he is doing this year.
I want them to do it, he needs to be signed...it just makes me nervous with him only having played a year and a half in the NHL.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:Almost nobody wanted them to sign Berglund. Me included. I think it's the only real problem I have had with anything Army has done.
Yeah, it was a real head scratcher. For the record, I also didn't like the acquisition of Russell or the signings of all the old Stars guys-even if he is a package deal with Hitch he needs to be able to tell him no on occasion. Oh, and I didn't like re-signing Ott either but I can see that the motivation there was panic after losing Sobotka so it isn't as puzzling. I wonder if Berglund has photos of Army in Thailand with 9-year-old boys or something...because I honestly can't fathom that deal. It's just stupid.
cprice12 wrote:I hate signing really young guys to a 6-year, $36 million contract or something like that, because if they end up being a one hit wonder and never see the kind of production they had their first year or two, then we're on the hook with that contract for a while.
Understood. Going the other way though-what if he scores 50+ in his walk year? Then they're giving him $10M per or waving bye-bye. The Blues have people who are paid very well to determine the quality of their personnel and what they're worth to the team. They can't be motivated by fear all the time. I don't think anyone expects them always to be right and if they gave Tarasenko 6/$36M (personally I think that's a bargain) and then he somehow turned into a pumpkin after scoring 45 goals in 110 games in his first two full seasons I don't think anyone inside or out of the club would blame them. I also see him as another guy worth going a bit over the market for-he's the only Blues player with any national name recognition since Hull or maybe Pronger. That's invaluable.

tjk002
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by tjk002 »

That should just about do it if they can sign Tank for around $6 million per. I hate giving guys real early in their career those types of contracts, but with Tarasenko, you almost have to. He is an RFA though, so there is really little danger of him signing elsewhere if we can't agree on a contract before he is an RFA.

Then Porter can finally get some playing time and maybe bring up Ratti or dare I say Fabri if he is ready. Cole will get more ice time.

But if trading Berglund isn't in their plans...that kind of makes things a lot more difficult.
I'd have to imagine we will see Jackman back here, but for along the lines of 800K to 1 million.

Berglund has got to go. My fear is, they'll have to sweeten the pot with a draft pick to get someone to take him.

I also have heard, the Blues are considering trading Petro.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

tjk002 wrote:

I'd have to imagine we will see Jackman back here, but for along the lines of 800K to 1 million.

Berglund has got to go. My fear is, they'll have to sweeten the pot with a draft pick to get someone to take him.

I also have heard, the Blues are considering trading Petro.
Trading Petro would be a huge deal.
But I can see where that might be something they would consider. Hell, I suggested it a month ago. Petro has been somewhat disappointing the past two seasons when compared to the high expectations, and they could probably get quite a bit for him because his best years should still be ahead of him.
They'd have to get a truckload in return for him though...and they might.
He makes $5.5 million this year, and it jumps up to $6.5 million next year and then $7 million in the final to years. He doesn't make ridiculous money, but he isn't cheap either. But I think it's good value for him right now and it's not a contract that would scare teams off.

I've been hard on him the past couple years, but I really want to see it work with him here. The Norris talent is there. You can see it...he just needs a lot more consistency in his game.
But if trading him will definitely make this team better...then so be it. But I doubt it happens.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm really looking forward to the day where we can talk about our secondary scoring line of Fabbri/Barbashev/Jaskin. I guess if the money for Tarasenko has to come from trading Pie, then so be it. Hell, Pie would be a good starter in a deal for one of the top 2 picks. Maybe we can get McDavid or Eichel yet. I would definitely sign off on a package of Pie, Backes, Rattie and Allen if it meant establishing what would then amount to three wicked offensive lines. With the depth at D in the system, Pie is expendable, and with the depth at G, Allen is expendable.

/dreamland

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I don't see a problem with them waiting until the end of the season and I'm sure they've been discussing it with Frank to see where he wants to be at, both in terms of on the team and in terms of money. There's no way he's going anywhere.

I had better see Bergy in a different sweater next year or by the deadline. Wouldn't mind seeing him go in a package deal for a rental to go into the playoffs with, like Jagr for instance, just to put up a name.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ott joining Bergy, either.

Butler and Lindstrom I see some real positives with and it's been really nice watching them develop.

Lehtera is a beast. A. Goddamn. Beast.

Allen, I can go either way with. I am going to say this now and yall can hate me later (don't forget to quote me, though), but I think the real deal "Goalie Of The Future" in our system is Bings, not Jake.

And so on and so forth. Btw, welcome back, Pie. Nice to see you back to playing to some level of your form :)
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:I'm really looking forward to the day where we can talk about our secondary scoring line of Fabbri/Barbashev/Jaskin. I guess if the money for Tarasenko has to come from trading Pie, then so be it. Hell, Pie would be a good starter in a deal for one of the top 2 picks. Maybe we can get McDavid or Eichel yet. I would definitely sign off on a package of Pie, Backes, Rattie and Allen if it meant establishing what would then amount to three wicked offensive lines. With the depth at D in the system, Pie is expendable, and with the depth at G, Allen is expendable.

/dreamland
You're banking on a lot of unprovens coming in and making an instant impact. It would be awesome if it all worked out the way you've outlined here, but it's not without risks either. It theoretically could come down to a major shakeup trade like that though, even more so if things don't end up well this season for the team...

Interesting times for this club though, that's for sure. It's definitely nice to be in a position where we feel fairly fluid and capable of making moves if necessary. That hasn't always been the case.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:You're banking on a lot of unprovens coming in and making an instant impact.
Yep, like all those D the Blues have drafted in recent years-almost none of whom, apparently, is good enough to skate for one minute in the NHL. A lot of funny things can happen on a big prospect's way to the show.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:You're banking on a lot of unprovens coming in and making an instant impact.
Yep, like all those D the Blues have drafted in recent years-almost none of whom, apparently, is good enough to skate for one minute in the NHL. A lot of funny things can happen on a big prospect's way to the show.
I think the "issue" with some of the bigger named D prospects (Schmaltz, Vanelli, Parayko) is that they're all still committed to their colleges, no? The can't misses that I assume you're talking about are Edmundson and Hakanpaa? They got jumped by Lindbohm who, I'd assume, is the heir apparent to Jackman when he leaves? The depth is definitely there and with the core 3 locked up for a while, they have plenty of time to develop the kids. Parayko, in particular, intrigues me. I've heard a lot of good things.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

glen a richter wrote:
ecbm wrote:
I think the "issue" with some of the bigger named D prospects (Schmaltz, Vanelli, Parayko) is that they're all still committed to their colleges, no? The can't misses that I assume you're talking about are Edmundson and Hakanpaa? They got jumped by Lindbohm who, I'd assume, is the heir apparent to Jackman when he leaves? The depth is definitely there and with the core 3 locked up for a while, they have plenty of time to develop the kids. Parayko, in particular, intrigues me. I've heard a lot of good things.
Every d-man we drafted was a long term project. If we see any of them in the note at all it won't be until they're 22 or 23 years old.

Which is fine. If you need a lesson on not rushing prospects to the NHL just take a look at the Edmonton Oilers, Exhibit A.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk