Blues won't extend Tarasenko contract till after

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blues won't extend Tarasenko contract till after

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Fine, 8 years, 6 mil per with an opt out halfway.
There is no opt out option allowed in the CBA. There's also no reason for him to sign a deal at only $48million (8 years * 6 per) when Toews and Kane are each getting $10 million and that's the new threshold. Tarasenko is likely gonna ask for $9M per and maybe settle for $7.5M on a short bridge deal while hoping to then hit $10M per or higher on his next contract. I don't think it's a good sign that both parties couldn't reach agreement. I hate greed and that goes for Toews and Kane as well.
Toewes and Kane have proven a lot more than Tarsenko has over a longer period of time...and they have won cups.
Comparing Tank to Toewes and Kane right now when discussing salary, isn't a fair comparison.
One thing Tank has working against him is that he has had a good end to last season, a good playoff last year and a great 2/3 of a season. That's it.
I don't think it's realistic that the Blues sign him to an 8 year deal for 6 million per.
I think he's more in line for a 5 year deal for $6.5 per or something like that.
I can't see the Blues, based on their history of signing players, giving him an 8 year deal. They have never done that with anyone. Then again, Tarasenko is a very unique talent. I just wish he had been doing this for another season or two before he gets the huge contract. It would be nice to have a larger sample size for him.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cprice12 wrote: Toewes and Kane have proven a lot more than Tarsenko has over a longer period of time...and they have won cups.
Comparing Tank to Toewes and Kane right now when discussing salary, isn't a fair comparison.
One thing Tank has working against him is that he has had a good end to last season, a good playoff last year and a great 2/3 of a season. That's it.
I don't think it's realistic that the Blues sign him to an 8 year deal for 6 million per.
I think he's more in line for a 5 year deal for $6.5 per or something like that.
I can't see the Blues, based on their history of signing players, giving him an 8 year deal. They have never done that with anyone. Then again, Tarasenko is a very unique talent. I just wish he had been doing this for another season or two before he gets the huge contract. It would be nice to have a larger sample size for him.
True - and that's probably what the hold up in the contract talks is about. Tank and his agent want the big deal now whereas management is only willing to do a shorter term bridge deal for less money. Offseason will obviously show a lot as the longer it drags on it gives you a better idea on how far apart they are.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Tarasenko has shown me as much as Toews had shown when he got his deal at $6.5M per. I have to imagine he'd consider that ballpark but, you know, inflation so it would be higher. Agree with kerfuffle's analysis above: he's in the top tier of forwards but doesn't have the service time that guys like Toews& Kane did when they signed their current deals. So he picks a number right below theirs and negotiates to something down from that but above $6.5. I don't think he signs for less than that, not least because the NHLPA will be pushing to ask for more.

No team will succeed without taking any risks. That seems to be getting lost here. When was the last time the Blues tried a risky strategy that might bring the success the club has never enjoyed?

*crickets*

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:Tarasenko has shown me as much as Toews had shown when he got his deal at $6.5M per. I have to imagine he'd consider that ballpark but, you know, inflation so it would be higher. Agree with kerfuffle's analysis above: he's in the top tier of forwards but doesn't have the service time that guys like Toews& Kane did when they signed their current deals. So he picks a number right below theirs and negotiates to something down from that but above $6.5. I don't think he signs for less than that, not least because the NHLPA will be pushing to ask for more.

No team will succeed without taking any risks. That seems to be getting lost here. When was the last time the Blues tried a risky strategy that might bring the success the club has never enjoyed?

*crickets*
Coincidentally, probably trading Rundblad to draft Tarasenko. He fell in the draft because teams were afraid he wouldn't come to the US, so giving up the previous season's 1st round pick to draft him was a bit of a risk.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ecbm wrote:Tarasenko has shown me as much as Toews had shown when he got his deal at $6.5M per. I have to imagine he'd consider that ballpark but, you know, inflation so it would be higher. Agree with kerfuffle's analysis above: he's in the top tier of forwards but doesn't have the service time that guys like Toews& Kane did when they signed their current deals. So he picks a number right below theirs and negotiates to something down from that but above $6.5. I don't think he signs for less than that, not least because the NHLPA will be pushing to ask for more.

*crickets*
Coincidentally, probably trading Rundblad to draft Tarasenko. He fell in the draft because teams were afraid he wouldn't come to the US, so giving up the previous season's 1st round pick to draft him was a bit of a risk.
Is that the same Rundblad on the hawks now?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

*crickets*
Is that the same Rundblad on the hawks now?
I assume so, but haven't followed his career. We traded him to Ottawa.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:

*crickets*
Fair enough but that's a pretty minor risk-it seems pretty clear that the Blues just wanted a FWD rather than a D and rightly determined that the 2010 draft was deeper in forwards than 2009.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Yes, same Rundblad.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

ecbm wrote:Yes, same Rundblad.
I can't stand him - he's a turnover machine but we needed a cheap fill-in cause we had to deal Leddy to get under the cap.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
I can't stand him - he's a turnover machine but we needed a cheap fill-in cause we had to deal Leddy to get under the cap.
Well right now it was essentially Tarasenko for Rundblad.... May be one of the most lopsided deals in Blues history 8)

Also keep in mind we picked Schwartz AHEAD of Tarasenko. And then Tarasenko ends up coming to the U.S. and Burmistrov bolts to the KHL even though he was picked way higher. The irony is palpable...
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:
Well right now it was essentially Tarasenko for Rundblad.... May be one of the most lopsided deals in Blues history 8)

Also keep in mind we picked Schwartz AHEAD of Tarasenko. And then Tarasenko ends up coming to the U.S. and Burmistrov bolts to the KHL even though he was picked way higher. The irony is palpable...

We talk about a lot of bad fortune as Blues fans, and there has been, but that 2010 first round fell into place in about the most perfect way imaginable for us.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

We talk about a lot of bad fortune as Blues fans, and there has been, but that 2010 first round fell into place in about the most perfect way imaginable for us.
Kind of like how Detroit got extremely lucky in back to back drafts nabbing both Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the later rounds. They had no idea what they were getting. Got lucky.
Stuff like that needs to happen for a team to win a cup. Maybe that draft is our "lucky moment" that is the base for our "cup run".
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

Kind of like how Detroit got extremely lucky in back to back drafts nabbing both Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the later rounds. They had no idea what they were getting. Got lucky.
Stuff like that needs to happen for a team to win a cup. Maybe that draft is our "lucky moment" that is the base for our "cup run".
But... but... they TOTALLY knew what they were doing when they drafted Zetterberg and Datsyuk! :lol:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:

I'd say it's even better than Detroit, because at least the Blues had the thought process of, 'Oh hey, these guys are good. We should probably get them now as opposed to later.' Meanwhile, Detroit let those guys pass 5-6 times apiece before settling on them. That was lucky, I feel like the Blues knew what they were doing.

(Okay, I know that Senko and Schwartz were probably more polished prospects at the same age, but I've gotta smack Detroit down when I can.)

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb