GDT #45: 1/17/15 | 6:00PM CST | v Maple Leafs | NHLN/FSMW

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #45: 1/17/15 | 6:00PM CST | v Maple Leafs | NHLN/FSMW

Post by dmiles2186 »

Welcome back, Roman!

[youtube][/youtube]
The St. Louis Blues are hoping to start a new winning streak after coming up just short of keeping one going.

A visit from the struggling Toronto Maple Leafs could help them do just that.

St. Louis looks to avoid back-to-back home losses for the first time this season when it faces Toronto, which tries to avoid a winless four-game road trip Saturday night.

The Blues (27-13-4) are second in the NHL with 3.1 goals per game, and they proved all the more potent during a recent five-game winning streak as they outscored opponents 28-10. However, St. Louis saw that run come to an end in Thursday's 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit.

David Backes got the Blues on the board early in the third period and Alexander Steen tied things up with 48 seconds left in regulation, but the Red Wings scored 4:57 into OT.

"We showed a lot of character in coming back, getting a 6-on-5 goal which has eluded us for that first part of the year," Backes told the league's official website. "We need to close that out after a lot of good efforts to come back."

The Blues are 15-2-2 in their last 19 on home ice, tied for the NHL's most home wins since Oct. 25. They haven't dropped two in a row in St. Louis since closing the 2013-14 regular season with three straight defeats there.

"I think that's the best somebody's played against us in this building for a long time," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "I'm disappointed in some aspect, but I think there's some real good lessons here. This was like a playoff game."

This matchup doesn't figure to have the same feel given Toronto's recent efforts. The Maple Leafs are mired in a 3-11-0 funk and have been limited to a combined three goals in dropping all five road games in 2015.

Toronto (22-20-3) suffered back-to-back shutouts at Los Angeles and Anaheim before falling 3-1 at San Jose on Thursday. The Maple Leafs fell behind 2-0 before Roman Polak scored 11:57 into the game for Toronto's first goal in just over 133 minutes.

"We have to find a way to score, we have to figure it out," star forward Phil Kessel said. "It's not going in for us right now and that gets frustrating. ... We have to find a way to get back in the win column. We're close but we're just not there yet."

Kessel is tied with James van Riemsdyk for the team lead with 19 goals despite scoring twice in the last 14 games. He's been held pointless over the last five on the road.

The Maple Leafs are in sixth place in the Atlantic Division with 47 points, 10 behind Montreal and Detroit for the second and third playoff spots.

"In this league you can't go through stretches like this," Kessel said. "We're not out of it, there's still quite a bit of hockey left to play. We just have to stay positive and hopefully we'll get some results here."

Kessel has eight points in eight games against the Blues.

St. Louis is 5-0-2 in the past seven meetings behind Backes' 10 points, including five of the club's 11 goals in last season's two-game sweep. Backes has seven goals and four assists over a five-game point streak.

Polak, who spent the previous eight seasons with St. Louis, faces his former team for the first time since getting shipped to Toronto in exchange for fellow defenseman Carl Gunnarsson and a draft pick in June.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #45: 1/17/15 | 6:00PM CST | v Maple Leafs | NHLN/FSM

Post by Oaklandblue »

2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Who'll be the one to open Roman's door?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Blues 5
Leafs 0

From the bits and pieces I've picked up about the situation in Toronto, the team is currently a tire fire. Throw some gasoline on that shit. Kessel is a baby.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Something about this seemed kind of wrong...

2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Something about this seemed kind of wrong...

This is pinky and the brain awesome...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

drwoland wrote:Blues 5
Leafs 0

From the bits and pieces I've picked up about the situation in Toronto, the team is currently a tire fire. Throw some gasoline on that shit. Kessel is a baby.
Not quite, but good enough!

Hopefully Tank is OK after blocking that shot and Steen didn't get concussed while getting punched after the 3rd goal..

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Doesn't get a whole lot better than a shutout.

Once again reaffirming West > East
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

These GDT's are a lot quieter since the Blues have been winning again and there aren't people coming in demanding we trade and fire everyone.

Either way, Steen's goal and his assist on Oshie's were definite highlights of the night. Keep it rollin', boys. Good stretch here into the final game before out 9 day sabbatical.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

dmiles2186 wrote:These GDT's are a lot quieter since the Blues have been winning again and there aren't people coming in demanding we trade and fire everyone.

Either way, Steen's goal and his assist on Oshie's were definite highlights of the night. Keep it rollin', boys. Good stretch here into the final game before out 9 day sabbatical.
Don't you worry. They'll be back next time we lose.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Wins are good. I will take all the wins they can get. Shutout wins are even better. I will take all of those they can find, too. This team is getting very good at dominating the games they are supposed to win.

I would like to see some wins against top teams that aren't in a tailspin, though. Detroit is the best team we have played recently, standings wise, and we didn't win there.

I feel like being a competitive team is not the expectation here - this is a team we expect to compete for a cup. I need to see more quality wins against the top five teams in the league before I can get on the cup train. That's all I am saying.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

KrustyKevo wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:These GDT's are a lot quieter since the Blues have been winning again and there aren't people coming in demanding we trade and fire everyone.

I understand this, but I just find it hilarious that the Blues dominate the Leafs, win 3-0, get that goose egg, Ells moves within 1 shutout of the franchise record, Steener was a boss all night...and there are 13 posts in the GDT.

One loss and the thing will blow up with folks heaping 50 years of failure on this one single team.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

anyone else think Gunnarson sucks? Really doesnt do much at all.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

dmiles2186 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:

... Blues dominate the Leafs,...
It was the Leafs. A team currently not in the Eastern Conference playoff picture which has been playing so poorly, they recently fired their coach. The Blues had better dominate and shutout a crappy team like the Leafs.

I'm on board with the whole - let's start beating top 5 teams in each conference before celebrating anything.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:

It was the Leafs. A team currently not in the Eastern Conference playoff picture which has been playing so poorly, they recently fired their coach. The Blues had better dominate and shutout a crappy team like the Leafs.

I'm on board with the whole - let's start beating top 5 teams in each conference before celebrating anything.
Nowhere did I ask for a celebration. Rather, some positivity regarding winning 6 of 7 (gaining a point in the 1 loss) would be nice, however. That's my point.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:

Nowhere did I ask for a celebration. Rather, some positivity regarding winning 6 of 7 (gaining a point in the 1 loss) would be nice, however. That's my point.
You want to get excited about meeting expectations?

It's not the 6/7 thing, it's the teams they beat. This is a complete dead zone in the schedule. The only reasonable teams in this stretch were SJ and Detroit. SJ has been struggling and we kept them there - very good. Detroit beat us in our barn - fail.

If you are just trying to get out of the West, we are 4-7-1 against CHI, ANA, LA, and Nash - we will play one of these teams in the first round most likely. This team is very good - clearly one of the best in the league - but the expectation is a cup and we aren't showing anything that would lead me to believe that we have that mythical "extra gear" to win big in the post season.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:

You want to get excited about meeting expectations?

It's not the 6/7 thing, it's the teams they beat. This is a complete dead zone in the schedule. The only reasonable teams in this stretch were SJ and Detroit. SJ has been struggling and we kept them there - very good. Detroit beat us in our barn - fail.

If you are just trying to get out of the West, we are 4-7-1 against CHI, ANA, LA, and Nash - we will play one of these teams in the first round most likely. This team is very good - clearly one of the best in the league - but the expectation is a cup and we aren't showing anything that would lead me to believe that we have that mythical "extra gear" to win big in the post season.
The playoffs are still 4 months away. So to even be thinking about winning a Cup right now is useless, at least for me. How you are playing in December and January doesn't mean that's how you will play come playoff time. It's irrelevant. My beef lies with the fact that we lose 2-3 games and people start saying this team is garbage, we'll never win anything, why do we do this to ourselves?, why can't the Blues field a competent team? Then we win 6 of 7, no one says anything, it's what you just said, 'We're supposed to beat these teams.'

So we are. Can't we enjoy the fact that this team is doing what it's supposed to be doing? If people can kneejerk to a bad loss or two (which tends to happen in a season that spans 6 months and 82 games), I can be positive that this team has looked good and is playing well against teams we should beat.

After the trade deadline and once the playoff picture becomes a bit more clear, that's when I start worrying about the playoffs (at least with a team this good).

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:anyone else think Gunnarson sucks? Really doesnt do much at all.
I think Gunnarson, for the most part, has been fine.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/