Brodeur pondering future?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Brodeur pondering future?

Post by Kerfuffle »

The whole thing seems like a 'me-myself-and-I' move. Either retire or don't. The Blues don't owe him anything. I think it's actually a distraction for your team than anything else. Clearly he's trying to make it known before the trade deadline that his services are available should any other contender be interested.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:The whole thing seems like a 'me-myself-and-I' move. Either retire or don't. The Blues don't owe him anything. I think it's actually a distraction for your team than anything else. Clearly he's trying to make it known before the trade deadline that his services are available should any other contender be interested.
It's quite likely the Blues asked him what he wants to do now that Elliott is back and healthy.
They may have told him that they plan on releasing him if he wants to keep playing, unless he wants to stay on with the team as an advisor or whatever. He may be pondering retirement, er, probably is pondering retirement...but his days in net for the Blues are apparently over.
It was fun to see him play a handful of games for the note. He had some good moments. Played a little better than I thought he would.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm as down on Allen as anyone right now, but to say he'll probably never earn #1 duties seems to be a bit of getting ahead of ourselves. I liken the Elliott/Allen tandem to the Vanbiesbrouck/Richter tandem. When Beezer got taken by Florida in the expansion draft, Richter took over the #1 reigns. He had been biding his time developing behind the veteran and learning how to cut it at the NHL level. The Rags, of course, brought in veteran Glen Healy who could have just as easily taken #1 himself, but the team let Richter know he had the reigns and all he did was go ahead and win the Stanley Cup. I see no reason why when Ells eventually leaves, Allen won't be in a similar situation.

That said, I still think ultimately Binnington will be the #1, but time will tell.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

TSN said that he has 2 options:
1. Stays with the Blues as a 3rd string goalie.
2. Stays with the Blues in a management position.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:TSN said that he has 2 options:
Blocking him from going to another team like, say, the Rinne-less Predators?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I have no problem with Brodeur staying on as a coach or mentor in some capacity to Allen and/or Binnington. His style is a bit unortodox but his results speak for themselves. If I were either Allen or Binny, I'd be certain to listen to what he has to say.

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Flake wrote:Allen is a good backup but I don't see him ever becoming a #1 on a good team. If it was a straight up choice of who do you want in net behind Elliott with no thought of contracts etc., Brodeur would have my vote even at the ripe old age of 42. Experience alone gives him the edge plus the ability to mentor Elliott every game is priceless.
Jake Allen is 24. He's not had a full season in the NHL in any capacity yet. He was AHL goalie of the year last year. He's been one of our top prospects for awhile. Personally, I think it's a bit early to write him off as a #1 yet. And on a good team? We've seen what Allen can do. Remember, Elliott was a basket case in net until he came to St. Louis when he was 25 or 26 and he's turned into a bona fide #1 this year. Goalies take time to develop.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I feel like way back in the day, when Brodeur was an RFA the Blues either offered or were rumored to be considering offering him an offer sheet. Then I looked back at the history of RFA offer sheets and saw nothing about that. So after that I figured it was probably me just being delusional, but I can't help but think that before this current stint with the team, there was some connection between Marty and St. Louis. I'm probably just thinking of Marty St. Louis.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

crazyhorse wrote:Blues front office?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... er=ya5nbcs
This is the video of Dreger saying that on TSN.
http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading ... s-1.183629
TW Tiger Woods TW

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

dmiles2186 wrote:
The Flake wrote:Allen is a good backup but I don't see him ever becoming a #1 on a good team. If it was a straight up choice of who do you want in net behind Elliott with no thought of contracts etc., Brodeur would have my vote even at the ripe old age of 42. Experience alone gives him the edge plus the ability to mentor Elliott every game is priceless.
Jake Allen is 24. He's not had a full season in the NHL in any capacity yet. He was AHL goalie of the year last year. He's been one of our top prospects for awhile. Personally, I think it's a bit early to write him off as a #1 yet. And on a good team? We've seen what Allen can do. Remember, Elliott was a basket case in net until he came to St. Louis when he was 25 or 26 and he's turned into a bona fide #1 this year. Goalies take time to develop.
Yeah. I know goalies take longer to develop in most cases. I just don't think Allen has the goods at the end of the day. I hope my assessment is wrong but I don't think he can make the jump from AHL standout goalie to NHL caliber #1. He is right at the threshold of when goalies really start to prove themselves and breakout into their own. Guess time will tell.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Flake wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Yeah. I know goalies take longer to develop in most cases. I just don't think Allen has the goods at the end of the day. I hope my assessment is wrong but I don't think he can make the jump from AHL standout goalie to NHL caliber #1. He is right at the threshold of when goalies really start to prove themselves and breakout into their own. Guess time will tell.
The threshhold for goalies breaking out is 36 games divided amongst two partial seasons?

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

glen a richter wrote:
The Flake wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
The threshhold for goalies breaking out is 36 games divided amongst two partial seasons?
Sure. He's played professionally for what 6 years. He's reached a pretty high plateau in lower leagues (AHL) and made the jump to the bigs. With a sampling of 36 games in two seasons, we should be able to see what he can bring at this level of competition and granted he has shown flashes of brilliance and some highlight reel saves but a lot of goalies have done that at this level and not lasted (or really made it). Bishop was traded by the Blues after just 13 games (which I thought at the time was a very bad and hasty move). The organization made that decision in many less games and they trade lots of goalies with no games in the NHL. I'm just saying, every player is different and you can usually get a feel for what a player is going to do after so many games. I've made my decision on what I think his future holds.

This is not to say that he won't be a #1 for a lower tiered team. Look at Dubnyk, Neurvirth, (Mason & Divis for the Blues in recent years), etc., etc. I just don't think he's the future answer for a team looking to be a consistent team battling for a cup even though some mediocre goalies have won the cup with some great teams.

BTW, I wouldn't ever compare Allen with Richter (not at this point anyway). That is a real stretch there. Richter was lights out dueling with Brodeur in all those conference playoff games with the Devils back in the 90's. BTW, Remember the ESPN commercial with Mike Keenan debating whether to play The Beezer or Richter. That was classic.
Remember,

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The Flake wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
The Flake wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Sure. He's played professionally for what 6 years. He's reached a pretty high plateau in lower leagues (AHL) and made the jump to the bigs. With a sampling of 36 games in two seasons, we should be able to see what he can bring at this level of competition and granted he has shown flashes of brilliance and some highlight reel saves but a lot of goalies have done that at this level and not lasted (or really made it). Bishop was traded by the Blues after just 13 games (which I thought at the time was a very bad and hasty move). The organization made that decision in many less games and they trade lots of goalies with no games in the NHL. I'm just saying, every player is different and you can usually get a feel for what a player is going to do after so many games. I've made my decision on what I think his future holds.

This is not to say that he won't be a #1 for a lower tiered team. Look at Dubnyk, Neurvirth, (Mason & Divis for the Blues in recent years), etc., etc. I just don't think he's the future answer for a team looking to be a consistent team battling for a cup even though some mediocre goalies have won the cup with some great teams.

BTW, I wouldn't ever compare Allen with Richter (not at this point anyway). That is a real stretch there. Richter was lights out dueling with Brodeur in all those conference playoff games with the Devils back in the 90's. BTW, Remember the ESPN commercial with Mike Keenan debating whether to play The Beezer or Richter. That was classic.
Gonna have to 100% disagree with you on Allen.

I don't see how you can say with any degree of certainty whatsoever that, right now, Allen won't be that good once he gets some more experience.
He may not be that good and he may not pan out like we hope, but he has shown that he has the skill needed to be a very good goalie in this league, he is just lacking the experience at this level. Experience tends to breed consistency and confidence, which is something Allen seems to need.

He's not there yet. But he has the tools to get there. He just needs to fine tune his game at the NHL level. Maybe that will come and maybe it won't...but to say with any degree of certainly right now either way, is just a flat out shot in the dark.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

How in the world would Mike Keenan have battled between playing Beezer and Richter when Beezer was on the Panthers? Roger Nielsen was the coach of the Rangers the last time they had Vanbiesbrouck. Keenan took over for 93-94 and had Richter and Healy, not Richter and Vanbiesbrouck.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

glen a richter wrote:How in the world would Mike Keenan have battled between playing Beezer and Richter when Beezer was on the Panthers? Roger Nielsen was the coach of the Rangers the last time they had Vanbiesbrouck. Keenan took over for 93-94 and had Richter and Healy, not Richter and Vanbiesbrouck.
Your right...that was Healy! My bad...brain fart. Lol
Remember,

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:
I think the issue is that nobody is going to surrender any assets to acquire him. He played well enough for us but he didn't play lights out or anything. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of NHL teams have serviceable options in their own systems that would prevent them really considering trading picks for Broduer.

At the very least the guy still showed he can play in the NHL. Good for him all things considered. I'd be surprised if we got anything for him but stranger things have happened.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Looks like his leave of absence has been extended to after the all star break.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

abc789987 wrote:Looks like his leave of absence has been extended to after the all star break.
Yeah, I pretty much knew this was going to happen.
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
I think the issue is that nobody is going to surrender any assets to acquire him. He played well enough for us but he didn't play lights out or anything. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of NHL teams have serviceable options in their own systems that would prevent them really considering trading picks for Broduer.

At the very least the guy still showed he can play in the NHL. Good for him all things considered. I'd be surprised if we got anything for him but stranger things have happened.
It may be that nobody wants to trade for him, but if the Blues were to release him, somebody might pick him up. I don't know if the TSN report is true or not, but if so, it could mean that the Blues told him they weren't going to release him.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen