Brodeur pondering future?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Brodeur pondering future?

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Takes a 10 day leave of absence.... Thoughts??

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Brodeur pondering future?

Post by cardsfan04 »

I think his time is done here. My guess is that he's deciding between retirement and asking to be released.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

If Brodeur is looking for one last shot of glory, he won't find it anywhere else but here. We're built to make a run and god knows he can backstop us if all else fails. At first I wasn't quite hip on the guy, and he doesn't have much left in the tank, but if I had to choose him or Allen right now to backup Ells this season, it'd be Marty.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Oaklandblue wrote:If Brodeur is looking for one last shot of glory, he won't find it anywhere else but here. We're built to make a run and god knows he can backstop us if all else fails. At first I wasn't quite hip on the guy, and he doesn't have much left in the tank, but if I had to choose him or Allen right now to backup Ells this season, it'd be Marty.
I would too, but we all know we can't send Allen down- he would have to clear waivers, which wouldn't happen. Whatchagonnado?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I would choose Allen over Brodeur. I mean, Brodeur will have less "WTF moments" than Allen. But, you don't build a Cup team through the backup goalie. Allen needs experience at the NHL level and any benefit that Brodeur brings over Allen this season (which is marginal, at best) is lost longterm by stunting Allen's growth. I wouldn't put Allen in the AHL even if we could.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I hope he stays because I want to see him win #700 with us and I'd love the narrative to end with him hoisting the Stanley Cup with us.

But I also get that he's a competitor, one of the greatest of all time, and the press box experience can't be all that appealing to him. If he wants to play regularly, it's not happening here, so he should move on.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

We have to at least give him the opportunity to get his 700 wins. 700 sounds much cleaner in the record books than 695 or 696. 700 wins would be monumental, and in today's NHL, he'll probably the only goalie in NHL history who has a potential to reach that. Don't quit when you're so close!

(I'm still baffled why Gretzky stopped at 894 goals instead of playing till he reached 900. And Gretzky retired relatively early, too (38). Had he just played one more season, he would have easily reached 900, let alone playing as long as Brodeur and Chelios and reaching about 920).

I hate to do things just for the record books, but maybe we can play him against poor teams. He did get a shutout just recently, and despite him not being the Brodeur he was 10 years ago, he's not a bad a goalie by any means.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

xbleed83bluex wrote:We have to at least give him the opportunity to get his 700 wins. 700 sounds much cleaner in the record books than 695 or 696. 700 wins would be monumental, and in today's NHL, he'll probably the only goalie in NHL history who has a potential to reach that. Don't quit when you're so close!

(I'm still baffled why Gretzky stopped at 894 goals instead of playing till he reached 900. And Gretzky retired relatively early, too (38). Had he just played one more season, he would have easily reached 900, let alone playing as long as Brodeur and Chelios and reaching about 920).

I hate to do things just for the record books, but maybe we can play him against poor teams. He did get a shutout just recently, and despite him not being the Brodeur he was 10 years ago, he's not a bad a goalie by any means.
We don't have to do anything other than put our best team on the ice every night. He's not owed crap by this franchise or any other. Sorry he didn't make it to 700... guess he should have played better earlier in his career.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
xbleed83bluex wrote:We have to at least give him the opportunity to get his 700 wins. 700 sounds much cleaner in the record books than 695 or 696. 700 wins would be monumental, and in today's NHL, he'll probably the only goalie in NHL history who has a potential to reach that. Don't quit when you're so close!

We don't have to do anything other than put our best team on the ice every night. He's not owed crap by this franchise or any other. Sorry he didn't make it to 700... guess he should have played better earlier in his career.
Agree that it's not our concern to get him to 700, but saying Brodeur should have played better earlier in his career is pretty funny.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:If Brodeur is looking for one last shot of glory, he won't find it anywhere else but here. We're built to make a run and god knows he can backstop us if all else fails. At first I wasn't quite hip on the guy, and he doesn't have much left in the tank, but if I had to choose him or Allen right now to backup Ells this season, it'd be Marty.
Not me.
Brodeur has been ok and all...but Allen is the backup on this team.
I enjoyed watching Brodeur in moderation, but I'm thinking he's done here. If Allen and Elliott are both healthy, he isn't going to be playing at all.
If he wants to stick around and be an advisor, I'm sure the organization would love to have him in that capacity. But I'm thinking if he does take on that kind of role, he'd prefer to do so in New Jersey. But that's just a guess on my part.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

Agree that it's not our concern to get him to 700, but saying Brodeur should have played better earlier in his career is pretty funny.
It's just a fact...he needed to play just a few games better over his career if he wanted 700 because he's too old and slow now.

Granted, he played amazing in his career, but I bet if you asked him he could rattle off the goals he should have stopped that would have put him at 700 wins. Seriously, I am sure he has a mental list of his biggest gaffs that cost his team wins.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

It's just a fact...he needed to play just a few games better over his career if he wanted 700 because he's too old and slow now.

Granted, he played amazing in his career, but I bet if you asked him he could rattle off the goals he should have stopped that would have put him at 700 wins. Seriously, I am sure he has a mental list of his biggest gaffs that cost his team wins.
I hear ya and don't disagree from a technical standpoint. Every player could have done things better in his career. Still funny to hear, "If (arguably) the greatest ever had only been a little bit better . . ."

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Blues should try to unload him on New Jersey. They're going nowhere and would be more likely to get him to 700 than the Blues. Trade him for future considerations or some BS to give him a shot.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'll never fully forgive Brodeur for one particular goal by Stephane Matteau.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

glen a richter wrote:I'll never fully forgive Brodeur for one particular goal by Stephane Matteau.
Which one of the two in that series?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:

I hear ya and don't disagree from a technical standpoint. Every player could have done things better in his career. Still funny to hear, "If (arguably) the greatest ever had only been a little bit better . . ."
I'd blame three lockouts for why Marty hasn't gone over 700 wins long before his playing ability. He has proven how good he is. On paper everyone is second best to him.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

^ that's actually a very fair and accurate point.

So I will amend my previous statement... "If the damn CBA hadn't f'ed everything up..."

LongDistanceBluesFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by LongDistanceBluesFan »

#WeWantMarty

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I'll never fully forgive Brodeur for one particular goal by Stephane Matteau.
Which one of the two in that series?
The series clincher. The sound of "Matteau, Matteau, STEPHANE MATTEAU!" is burned into my memory forever and it's horrible and unpleasant. Seeing all those positively giddy Ranger fans was nauseating. It just got worse after that, though.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Allen is a good backup but I don't see him ever becoming a #1 on a good team. If it was a straight up choice of who do you want in net behind Elliott with no thought of contracts etc., Brodeur would have my vote even at the ripe old age of 42. Experience alone gives him the edge plus the ability to mentor Elliott every game is priceless.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic