GDT #42: 1/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Hurricanes | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

GDT #42: 1/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Hurricanes | FSMW/KMOX

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ST. LOUIS -- Ken Hitchcock admits he's a teacher when it comes to the NHL and the players that represent it.

But for the St. Louis Blues veteran coach, it's natural to be a fan Saturday when the NHL announces at 6 p.m. ET the remainder of the lineup for the 2015 Honda NHL All-Star Game, which will be played Jan. 25 in Columbus.

With right wing Vladimir Tarasenko (22 goals, 21 assists) leading the Blues with 43 points in 41 games, and defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk tied for the lead among NHL defensemen with 36 points (seven goals, 29 assists), they seem to be logical choices for selection.

"To be honest with you, I've learned that … first of all, it's a great event, but selfishly, we've had a number of players who have had all-star years," Hitchcock said. "I know the way it works. You've got 30 teams; everybody's got to be representatives. There's always people that are legitimately disappointed. That's the only thing that bothers me. There's always players that richly deserve to go who don't get a chance because we're representing all the teams. I'm hopeful the guys I think deserve to go get a chance."

No Blues were voted in by fan selection. Those picks went to five Chicago Blackhawks (forwards Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, defensemen Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook and goalie Corey Crawford) and Buffalo Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons.

The Blues (25-13-3) will host the Carolina Hurricanes (13-24-4) on Saturday, and on paper, the Blues have a decided edge in points (53-30). But after seeing the Hurricanes play the Nashville Predators on Tuesday, Hitchcock is making his players aware these are not the same Hurricanes who labored through the couple months or so decimated with injuries.

"Well, which team, the one that was banged up or the one that's on the ice now," Hitchcock said when asked about Carolina. "The one now's a good team. There's implementation of 90 percent Detroit [Red Wings] here, which [Hurricanes coach Bill Peters] was with them a long time. You can see all the principles that the Red Wings have sitting there in Carolina. Very difficult when top players are out to manage the game, manage minutes, stay afloat. The team that's played the last couple games, especially the game that they played in Nashville's very impressive. I'm sure Bill would have liked to have this lineup from Day One. It's unfortunate, but this is a lineup you can win with and I think he knows that."

Carolina center Jordan Staal, who has played in five games after returning from a broken right leg, said things are headed in a positive way.

"It's been difficult," Staal said. "Every team goes through it at times. We're not the only ones. But it's nice to have the team back for the most part, fully healthy and feeling good. As of late, we've played some pretty good hockey. We've done a lot of good things. I think we're starting to head in the right direction with the way we want to play."

Peters, in his first season, is finally getting a chance to see a full lineup.

"It's made a big difference," Peters said. "Getting Jordan back in has allowed us to do some different things obviously. We have Jordan and Eric [Staal] playing together, and that's a real good line. Whether it's [Elias] Lindholm or [Jiri] Tlusty, whoever's on the right side, but it's freed Eric up to be more of a power forward. He's responded offensively.

"We've got so much work to do. We've got a lot of room for improvement, and we know that. It's all about us and how we play. We obviously know what the other team's going to do. We have to get out team game in order at a high level and have it at a high level consistently. We haven't done that we well as we would have liked. We've just got to focus on our own game right now."
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT #42: 1/10/15 | 7:00PM CST | v Hurricanes | FSMW/KMOX

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Let me just say, the All Star voting is friggin ridiculous. 5 Blackhawks?

I'm sorry to say, but fan voting really has no place in determining the players, at least in it's current format. It's the same with baseball. They're so rigged, it's not even funny, kind of like presidential elections....*cough*

If you have to have it, why is it so hard to only allow 1 vote per person? At least make it more difficult than just sitting there clicking vote for a certain player a billion times.

The unlimited votes thing is as stupid as using a shootout to determine a winner in a hockey game.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm typically apathetic to fan voting for all star games. I mean, the game is supposed to be for the fans, so I don't mind when undeserving players get voted in. But, when 5 of 6 players chosen are from THAT team, that's messed up. If 5 Blues got selected, I guess I wouldn't be upset, but it would still be dumb. But, it has to be those clowns. ugh
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

"Apathetic" describes my feelings on it as well. It's a meaningless game, so why not let the fans get their paws all over it? 5 Blackhawks? Let them have it. The less guys from our squad that are all stars, the more guys there are to stay home and enjoy the break. The Winter Classic got bad ratings and the grumbling over all the Hawk bias is growing louder. I'm hoping the shine is wearing off but a couple early playoff exits will scatter the fan base. That all being said, I hope 91 lights the lamp a couple times and all 5 Hawks are silent. If not...ah well.

As for tonight's game, the Canes need to continue to lose as I'm hoping they can hold off Edmonton for the McDavid sweepstakes.
Saint Louis 5 (Jaskin, Schwartz (2), Tarasenko, Butler)
WhalerCanes 1 (One Staal or the other)
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Freaking Nashville won again, gotta win to keep pace.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

Made the mistake of saying something positive about Butler being ok this year and he goes out plays himself out of the lineup.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

(Frank) yes. 4 different scorers, and one of them is Berglund - in a game where it mattered too!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I thought Bouwmeister won it in the OT period. Why was that called back??

sparty09
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by sparty09 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I thought Bouwmeister won it in the OT period. Why was that called back??
Goalie interference

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

sparty09 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I thought Bouwmeister won it in the OT period. Why was that called back??
Goalie interference
Yea...except I've seen way worse goalie interference not be called. That was pretty weak.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Regarding the All-Star vote, I guess I should say that I don't really have a problem with the fans doing it, I just wish you could only vote 1 time. I think the unlimited voting is dumb. When you have a large market team like Chicago of course you're going to be able to get everybody voted in. With 1 vote at least others would have a slightly better chance.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
sparty09 wrote:
Goalie interference
Yea...except I've seen way worse goalie interference not be called. That was pretty weak.
I was pretty pissed. There are few times I've seen that place more pissed at an official. When they showed the replay I thought people were going to start throwing stuff.

I heard Berglund say after the game that it was the right call though. Not sure if that's him being tactful in the press or if there's something I'm missing.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

flyingnote38 wrote:Made the mistake of saying something positive about Butler being ok this year and he goes out plays himself out of the lineup.
eek, yeah, he was a bit of a trainwreck last night. Guess bad games will happen, but he had a handful of bad mistakes.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Regarding the All-Star vote, I guess I should say that I don't really have a problem with the fans doing it, I just wish you could only vote 1 time. I think the unlimited voting is dumb. When you have a large market team like Chicago of course you're going to be able to get everybody voted in. With 1 vote at least others would have a slightly better chance.
I could get on board with that. Normally I don't really care what the result is very much, but 5 from the same team is pretty ridiculous.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bouwmeister? New guy on roster?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When you're -4 on a team that won the game, something went horrible wrong.

That said, I don't mind pissing away the point to a crap team like Carolina for a couple of reasons. First, they're out of conference so it's not like we're helping a team behind us stay close or a team ahead of us stay ahead of us. Second, it serves as a reminder that even though things have been going really well the last few games, no opponent no matter how high or low in the standings should ever be taken lightly. Escaping with two points was a gift, Tarasenko again showed that he can come through with the important goal when it's needed, and they can get to work on fixing their mistakes heading into the next game: a game which I don't expect to be as much a nailbiter as this one. Lesson learned, come out flying on Tuesday. And yeah, I know it's just the Oilers up next but this was just the Hurricanes and they still almost lost. Barely winning against a shit team when you have so much talent on your own roster is sometimes more useful a learning tool than embarrassing them 10-0.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:When you're -4 on a team that won the game, something went horrible wrong.

That said, I don't mind pissing away the point to a crap team like Carolina for a couple of reasons. First, they're out of conference so it's not like we're helping a team behind us stay close or a team ahead of us stay ahead of us. Second, it serves as a reminder that even though things have been going really well the last few games, no opponent no matter how high or low in the standings should ever be taken lightly. Escaping with two points was a gift, Tarasenko again showed that he can come through with the important goal when it's needed, and they can get to work on fixing their mistakes heading into the next game: a game which I don't expect to be as much a nailbiter as this one. Lesson learned, come out flying on Tuesday. And yeah, I know it's just the Oilers up next but this was just the Hurricanes and they still almost lost. Barely winning against a shit team when you have so much talent on your own roster is sometimes more useful a learning tool than embarrassing them 10-0.
Yeah, I agree completely. I would have been mad if they had lost. But, winning the way they did might have been better long term as it's (yet another) reminder. Of course, I wish they had chosen a game in which I hadn't bet on them at -1 1/2.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
sparty09 wrote:
Goalie interference
I was pretty pissed. There are few times I've seen that place more pissed at an official. When they showed the replay I thought people were going to start throwing stuff.

I heard Berglund say after the game that it was the right call though. Not sure if that's him being tactful in the press or if there's something I'm missing.
Murphy's skate is the one that caused the issue with Ward not making thhe save. Berglund's skate did nothing and didn't effect Ward at all. Murphy's skate followed up Berglund's skate and drug/moved Ward's leg a bit.

It's certainly a tough call to make at full speed. But with that said, the replay clearly showed it was a bad call. In the end it didn't matter though, except for those who would have received points on the play.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Carolina had a couple gift goals. The game really wasn't as close as the score indicated...but Carolina did play well for stretches during the game. They have been playing well lately and I'm going to give credit where credit is due. They played pretty well.
But the Blues were dominant for long stretches and played very well as well. We outplayed them. It was a pretty damn good game though.

The only goal I fault Elliott on is the one that beat him high glove. He seemed to not pick it up right away, then did and he just seemed to miss it.
Allen played well, but he did get very lucky on a scramble where he had no idea where the puck was (he was looking in the exact opposite direction for the puck) and it hit him twice.

But if it wasn't for Butler inexplicably and seemingly purposely deflecting the puck with his skate and by Elliott (horribly stupid play by Butler)...
AND...
Shattenkirk falling down to give Stall a breakaway, it wouldn't have been close.

That's not to say the Blues couldn't have played better...they could have. But the game never should have went to OT.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:Lesson learned, come out flying on Tuesday. And yeah, I know it's just the Oilers up next but this was just the Hurricanes and they still almost lost.
I sure as (Frank) hoped they learned the lesson. Edmonton just beat the 'Hawks 5-2 and did it convincingly.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season