HFBoards trade proposal for discussion

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

HFBoards trade proposal for discussion

Post by flyingnote38 »

usually posting trade ideas is an exercise in futility. Trying to predict availablity, equivalent value, etc is hard to do and the ideas that are closest in value usually demonstrate this by both sides hating the idea equally. That said I saw this proposal on HFBoards and given that (1) most responses to it were neutral to positive from both sides and (2) it involves one of our favorite trade candidates, I thought it worth discussing.

Vermette(50%)+Michalek(50%)+Korpikoski for Berglund+Pääjärvi+Rattie
Vermette and Michalek contracts expire this year. Korpikoski has 2 more years.

Even with Arizona retaining those salaries, it doesn't quite fit under the cap for us but since we would need to move 2 players off the roster, we could potentially make up the difference in that way.

The expiring contracts would give us essentially Berglund's $3.9 million as capspace next offseason.
Realistically if Arizona would be interested at all, it would have to be something other than Paajarvi (other prospect or draft pick).

Likely moves to create the spots would be to waive Lindstrom and demote or deal a Dman.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: HFBoards trade proposal for discussion

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I saw a similar proposal... it had Bergland, Ott, Lapierre, +Paarvagina and a draft pick in a three team trade for Crosby Malkin and Ovechkin coming to the Blues to make a better 4th line for us. It was even an E4!

It was equally as likely as the one in the OP, so I thought I would share it.

:roll:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: HFBoards trade proposal for discussion

Post by ecbm »

Obviously the specific shape of any trade is pretty unpredictable. This, to me, boils down to:

Would you give up Rattie to get the cap figure down while not damaging the squad this season?

Given the coach of the big team clearly has a strong preference for Jaskin, Porter and/or playing vets on terrible form instead of calling up Rattie when the latter is at his best, my answer is yes. I doubt we'll get prospects or picks for guys like Berglund and Paajarvi unless someone gets really, really desperate so taking on expiring contracts is probably the best option.