Brodeur to start one of the 2 west coast games

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Brodeur to start one of the 2 west coast games

Post by APOD »

NASHVILLE, TENN. • Brian Elliott is back, but that doesn’t mean Martin Brodeur is done.

Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said Tuesday that Brodeur would get a start on the team’s West Coast swing, which starts Friday in Anaheim. Brodeur, who posted a 3-0 win Monday night against Colorado, will start either that game or the next day at San Jose. That will expand the Blues’ comfort zone as they get Elliott back into the swing of playing most of the games.

Jake Allen was the backup goalie Tuesday, with Brodeur a healthy scratch.

“I think what we’ve done is buy some time,” Hitchcock said. “Marty seems to have caught a second wind, so that buys us even more time to get us back on track with our goaltending.

“Marty’s going to play one of the next two games and we’ll see from there.”

Teams don’t like carrying three goalies. With only two nets on the ice in practice, somebody’s always standing around. It’s a short-term necessary evil for the Blues while they make sure Elliott can play on a regular basis
Marty may get a few more goes in net and Allen sits...... :?

We dont want Allen in the net vs one of these teams then maybe we should ride the 3 goalie thing through the playoffs. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but Marty has looked a lot better than Allen as of late.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Brodeur to start one of the 2 west coast games

Post by glen a richter »

When I was growing up, my sisters cat would occasionally lay down in the street in front of the net when I was outside shooting the ol' street hockey puck around. My sisters cat was more effective in net than Jake Allen has been of late.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

My dad and I were talking about Allen recently. He wonders if the Blues are going to inform Allen that he has some sort of injury as a guise for keeping Brodeur around a little longer. I'm not sure I see that happening, but I definitely have more faith in Brodeur than Allen at the moment.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Jake is still adjusting to the NHL. He has looked better than the team in front of him, I'll say that much.

At this point, I'd go with Marty as backup simply because he knows this may be it for his career and is VERY hungry. If he was someone else, I'd say whatever, but he is the "Greatest Netminder" to play in modern times and the last time we had one of those, we got to the Finals and they stood on their head. Marty's swallowed his pride and wants to play and show that he can still do it. That was one of the reasons why I brought up earlier this season that we should have made an offer for Ribs. Yeah, guy has a past, but he wants to play hockey and is willing to take whatever he can get to play. Imagine if we had him for a Million instead of MillionS like Bergy or Ott.

Ribs, btw is at 30 points. Ott's (2.6m/yr) got 7. Bergy (3.7/yr) got 11. Imagine if, instead of signing Bergy and Ott, if we had signed Ribs and paid Sobotka 4m/yr, tell me you wouldn't have made that deal before, or now.

Like this or not, Ells/Brodeur is our best option until Jake comes into his own and he doesn't seem to me as being that far off, regardless of what his stats say.
Last edited by Oaklandblue on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I really think Binnington is more the long term plan than Allen. He has a better scouting report and they don't seem willing at all to frank with his development, else they would have just kept him up with the team instead of signing Brodeur in the first place. He seems to be the prospect with more upside.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:I really think Binnington is more the long term plan than Allen. He has a better scouting report and they don't seem willing at all to frank with his development, else they would have just kept him up with the team instead of signing Brodeur in the first place. He seems to be the prospect with more upside.
We said this about Jake Allen too. The big question isn't whether Bings is good enough or not, it's whether he can adjust to playing at the NHL level or not. There are many players who burn up the minor leagues who get to the show and can't make the transition. We're seeing that manner of adjustment with Jake right now. With the window the way it is for us and not knowing where the money in the future is going to come on, we have to win now before the window closes. If that means trading off futures to make the run, we should consider this. Don't sell the farm, but do make whatever arrangements need to be made to get over the hump. Stillman isn't exactly raking in cash, in fact so far he's lost money since running the Blues.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I really think Binnington is more the long term plan than Allen. He has a better scouting report and they don't seem willing at all to frank with his development, else they would have just kept him up with the team instead of signing Brodeur in the first place. He seems to be the prospect with more upside.
We said this about Jake Allen too. The big question isn't whether Bings is good enough or not, it's whether he can adjust to playing at the NHL level or not. There are many players who burn up the minor leagues who get to the show and can't make the transition. We're seeing that manner of adjustment with Jake right now. With the window the way it is for us and not knowing where the money in the future is going to come on, we have to win now before the window closes. If that means trading off futures to make the run, we should consider this. Don't sell the farm, but do make whatever arrangements need to be made to get over the hump. Stillman isn't exactly raking in cash, in fact so far he's lost money since running the Blues.
I hope it's just an adjustment thing but Jake seems to get sloppy for long stretches. Loss of focus or whatever. Maybe he needs a shrink to get into his head. He seems to have done the same thing during his pre-NHL days as well.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
I hope it's just an adjustment thing but Jake seems to get sloppy for long stretches. Loss of focus or whatever. Maybe he needs a shrink to get into his head. He seems to have done the same thing during his pre-NHL days as well.
I actually can understand if it's in his head. Mind we have some top quality D that has decided to forget how to play the position and so much sloppy play that it could make a goalie second guess themselves and go nuts. To be fair, Jake has let in some ridiculously soft goals too.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
I actually can understand if it's in his head. Mind we have some top quality D that has decided to forget how to play the position and so much sloppy play that it could make a goalie second guess themselves and go nuts. To be fair, Jake has let in some ridiculously soft goals too.
Jake tends to make highlight reel saves which causes us to forget how sloppy he can be. His stats aren't so hot. I'll chalk it up to being his first full NHL season and that he's not getting #1 time, but if he can't get his head in order soon he'll be backing up everyone under the sun and never get that #1 detail.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I don't mind this. It's playing it safe. We keep Marty around, showcase him for a potential trade, make 100% guarandamnteed that Elliott is healthy, and then make a move from there, whether that's trading or releasing Marty or something else.

We just need to give Allen some time. He's 3 months into his first full NHL season. He's 24. Teams have tape on his tendencies (whereas they didn't his brief stay 2 seasons ago), he's a bit more of a known commodity. I'm not worried about him at this point. Yeah, he's not been spectacular, but the defense has also been godawful all season long and he's been hung out to dry on plenty of occasions. As Aaron Rodgers told Packers fans earlier this year, "R-E-L-A-X."

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:
Jake tends to make highlight reel saves which causes us to forget how sloppy he can be. His stats aren't so hot. I'll chalk it up to being his first full NHL season and that he's not getting #1 time, but if he can't get his head in order soon he'll be backing up everyone under the sun and never get that #1 detail.
Very few netminders rarely start as #1s fresh out of the minors, though. To me it's really too early to tell how great/bad Jake will be. It's way too early to really begin to determine that and with the team looking like garbage, it's really hard to determine where the issues may lay with him. That's just my opinion, though.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

cardsfan04 wrote:My dad and I were talking about Allen recently. He wonders if the Blues are going to inform Allen that he has some sort of injury as a guise for keeping Brodeur around a little longer. I'm not sure I see that happening, but I definitely have more faith in Brodeur than Allen at the moment.
Assuming we would have to waive Allen to demote him, we'll instead assign him on a conditioning stint in a couple weeks. This will get us about a month in total to figure out if keeping Brodeur is worth sacrificing a roster spot on a third goalie.

Bear in mind, if Elliot comes back a week earlier (pre-Brodeur shutout) then everybody's assessment of which goalie to keep would be the opposite.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

When do we think Binnington could be ready? Is it safe to say we could trade Allen to a team that needs a good back up (toronto) resign Brodeur to 1 more year. Re-evaluate in the summer of 2016?
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

APOD wrote:When do we think Binnington could be ready? Is it safe to say we could trade Allen to a team that needs a good back up (toronto) resign Brodeur to 1 more year. Re-evaluate in the summer of 2016?
I say this is WAY too soon to give up on Jake. I think, if the team had their way, it would be an Elliott/Allen split until Binnington is ready, then it would be an Allen/Binnington split, then let them settle out who the #1 is.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
APOD wrote:When do we think Binnington could be ready? Is it safe to say we could trade Allen to a team that needs a good back up (toronto) resign Brodeur to 1 more year. Re-evaluate in the summer of 2016?
I say this is WAY too soon to give up on Jake. I think, if the team had their way, it would be an Elliott/Allen split until Binnington is ready, then it would be an Allen/Binnington split, then let them settle out who the #1 is.
I agree. I mean, I don't have a ton of confidence in Allen right now. But, that's a temporary thing. He's essentially a rookie. I wish he was doing better than he is, but I think he will do better than he is as he gains experience. I don't mind keeping Brodeur around because every point matters, but unless we got something great for Allen (which we might, but salary cap, etc.), I don't think he's played himself out of town or anything.

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

cardsfan04 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
I agree. I mean, I don't have a ton of confidence in Allen right now. But, that's a temporary thing. He's essentially a rookie. I wish he was doing better than he is, but I think he will do better than he is as he gains experience. I don't mind keeping Brodeur around because every point matters, but unless we got something great for Allen (which we might, but salary cap, etc.), I don't think he's played himself out of town or anything.
I'm definitely not giving up on the kid, just looking at the situation. I would of love a Elliott/Bishop combo but we had to make that move, he wasn't ready we weren't ready.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Allen is struggling-due to lax concentration at times and some mechanical problems. It's nothing that can't be fixed. Remember, he isn't supposed to be the starter this year. I'm not worried about. He's a rookie with; some work out and some don't. There are guys in line behind him if it comes to that. And for now, he's a backup. He doesn't need to be great. Marty complicates the situation but I'm guessing they're still trying to give him enough games to look good and generate interest from other teams.

The situation isn't anything more than there being a few roster complications due to the starting goalie getting hurt.

I'm much more fixated on the problem of the entire squad's recent generally poor, lazy play.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

[tweet][/tweet]

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

cardsfan04 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
There's growing pains with young goalies. I remember M-A Fleury's early days with the Pens- he had some bad stretches for such a highly-touted young goalie. It will take time, and yes, it will take some hard knocks (such as getting a "week off" to "reset").

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Huh. So we are running 3 goalies for the entire season. Given how things have been working out so far, this is going to be a major blessing in disguise for Jake. Pressure is really off of him and he can really concentrate of improving his overall game dynamics with Elliott and Brodeur bookending him.