GDT #37: 12/30/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #37: 12/30/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Nashville Predators had a first-place slot in the Central Division firmly in their grasp and let it slip away.

They'll be forced to quickly move on from that disappointing loss with a visit Tuesday night from the re-energized St. Louis Blues.

Nashville (23-9-3) entered Monday's contest against Chicago with four wins in five games and quickly jumped out to a commanding three-goal lead. However, the Predators allowed three goals in the second period and the tying tally with just over one minute remaining in the third before falling to the Blackhawks 5-4 in a shootout.

A regulation win would have tied them with Chicago atop the division.

"I thought we did a good job shooting pucks and going to the net," said James Neal, who scored his 12th and 13th goals of the season. "Just a few little things, we clean that up and we can win the hockey game."

Nashville remains on an upswing despite the loss with averages of 4.4 goals and 36.4 shots over its last five games. The Predators also have yet to lose back-to-back games.

Pekka Rinne ranks near the top of the NHL with a 1.88 goals-against average and had surrendered more than three goals only three times in 30 starts prior to Monday, although he did make a season-high 38 saves in the defeat.

Rinne, however, has not played in both ends of a back-to-back since March 14-15 - coincidentally, also at Chicago and against St. Louis - and he could hand the starting job Tuesday to backup Carter Hutton, who has allowed 11 goals in his four starts.

St. Louis (22-11-3) heads to Nashville after snapping a season-worst four-game losing streak with Monday's 3-0 victory over Colorado.

"We're getting engaged," coach Ken Hitchcock told the team's official website. "Starting to look and act like a team. Starting to behave properly, good things, started showing signs the last game. We've had real pockets of it."

Martin Brodeur made 16 saves to extend his NHL record to 125 shutouts, but No. 1 goaltender Brian Elliot is set to return after he was medically cleared to play Sunday - and it may leave Brodeur as the odd man out in St. Louis. Second-year netminder Jake Allen is 11-5-2 this season with a 2.76 GAA.

Brodeur, however, was in a joking mood when asked about what may happen to him.

"I think I'm going to Nashville," he said. "I'm not sure. ... If that's my last game, that's not a bad one to leave on, but I don't feel it's going to be. I'm happy to be here and I think they are pretty happy to have me around, too."

Nashville has taken two of three matchups with St. Louis this season, including a 4-3 victory in the most recent Dec. 4. All three Blues goaltenders have started against the Predators this season, but only Allen has been able to secure a win.

Rinne started all three meetings and owns a 2.15 career GAA against the Blues.

Regardless of who's in net, St. Louis' offense will still center around Vladimir Tarasenko, who scored his 22nd goal of the season Monday to set a new career best. He has a goal in each of the last two games, giving him 16 points over the last 14 contests.

Tarasenko, who has three goals against Nashville this season, sits behind only Dallas' Tyler Seguin (25) and the New York Rangers' Rick Nash (23) for the NHL goals lead.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #37: 12/30/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by STLADOGG »

Well with the worst possible outcome last night, (Hawks beat Preds in a SO) this is a big game obviously.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

[tweet][/tweet]

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

dmiles2186 wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Let's hope he's still on form. I hate to say it, but of late, Brodeur has been better than Allen. Some tough decisions for management coming up. On the other hand, I guess last night's shutout ups Marty's value, so maybe we can get more in return for a trade.

At any rate, 2 points, please. :letsgoblues: :mustard:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Allen can't be sent down without clearing waivers which will never happen, hence Brodeur is gone one way or the other.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

God damn. They look so bad.
Steen has been awful

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

(Franking) bad.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Pathetic.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

So much talent, so much promise, so much experience and THIS is the result?
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I thought we had the better chances overall, but Rinne was sharp and our defense was not. Elliott was a trooper facing the amount of rubber he did, but gave up a few I thought he should have had, namely off the faceoff after the disallowed goal (which I was sure was going to be a goal), and the shortie.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

gaijin wrote:I thought we had the better chances overall, but Rinne was sharp and our defense was not. Elliott was a trooper facing the amount of rubber he did, but gave up a few I thought he should have had, namely off the faceoff after the disallowed goal (which I was sure was going to be a goal), and the shortie.
But defense was still the main culprit. Ells should not have taken that many shots. It's uncharacteristic of the Blues to be so porous defensively :/
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Jeez, you fuckwads, they lost 3-2 in a game where the lead changed 3 times to another team fighting for a top spot in the west. Calm down!

People not named Tarasenko are scoring goals.

What happened on the 3rd goal that made Elliott drop his stick and grab his head? Couldn't tell if it was pain or self loathing/shame..

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

They have had 0 defense for how long now? That's why people are getting pissed.
How do you go from one of the best defensive teams, to this?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The positive thing, at least, is that Blues fans aren't blaming this all on the goalie...which tends to be the case in stretches like this. PROGRESS!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

dmiles2186 wrote:The positive thing, at least, is that Blues fans aren't blaming this all on the goalie...which tends to be the case in stretches like this. PROGRESS!
Hard to blame this on the goalie when like 45 shots against and gives up only 3 goals.
TW Tiger Woods TW

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

drwoland wrote: What happened on the 3rd goal that made Elliott drop his stick and grab his head? Couldn't tell if it was pain or self loathing/shame..
I was wondering the same thing, I thought his mask may have gotten knocked off again.
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:The positive thing, at least, is that Blues fans aren't blaming this all on the goalie...which tends to be the case in stretches like this. PROGRESS!
Hard to blame this on the goalie when like 45 shots against and gives up only 3 goals.
That's my point..and yet you'd be surprised at how often the goalie gets blamed for things like that. If you're a St. Louis Blues goalie, you could stop every shot and it would still be your fault that the Blues lost -1-0.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I didn't see the game last night, but it looks like Ells did his job and the rest of the team didn't. That's a shit-ton of shots against for a Blues team that is supposed to play a defense first style.

I'm not off a cliff, but I would like to see more wins vs. quality opponents before I am going to get excited about a potential cup run.

I just watched my beloved Royals find magic and come 90 feet from tying game seven of the WS after 29 years without a playoff victory, so anything can happen.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

drwoland wrote:Jeez, you fuckwads...
Yeah, you lost me there. WE should calm down? :roll:

So the same problems persist and the one good game out of the last six was the outlier. Something needs to be done to jolt this team into giving a shit. Someone needs to be traded or lose their job. If there are no consequences for this run I guarantee you this sort of form, this bullshit heartless play will surface repeatedly throughout the season.

Specifically, I feel like Steen is straight-up stealing from the till at times this season. And Hitch continuing to give Petro 20-25 minutes a night makes me wonder if he's gone completely soft.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
That's my point..and yet you'd be surprised at how often the goalie gets blamed for things like that. If you're a St. Louis Blues goalie, you could stop every shot and it would still be your fault that the Blues lost -1-0.
3 goals on 47 shots is a .936 save percentage which is AWESOME and if Miller had done that in last year's playoffs, not only would he not have been the biggest reason for the first round exit; he probably would have won the Conn Smythe and led the Blues to the Cup.

If that 1-0 loss to the Hawks had come in a game where we were being totaled dominated like last night and had come on a goal like the 3rd one last night -- perfectly executed 2 on 1 finished with a shot no goalie in the world would have had a chance to stop, no one would have laid any blame on Miller for that. But a soft goal that costs you the (otherwise evenly played)game is a soft goal that costs you the game whether it's 1-0 or 6-5.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk