Top 5 Toughest Blues of all time (article)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Top 5 Toughest Blues of all time (article)

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Interesting article from KSDK. I don't know if I agree with all 5 but Sutter is definitely #1!

Top 5 toughest Blues of all time

As the St. Louis Blues find themselves in the middle of another mini-slump (if you can call it a slump at all, they've lost three in a row but are 5-3 in the last 8 and still got a point on Saturday in San Jose), they will look to play a tougher game to slow down the quick Avalanche team, and force them to make poor plays that lead to turnovers for the Notes.

What we will look at here are historical St. Louis tough guys who would be welcomed to the stage. These players embody the 'true Blues' (and hockey) spirit, and are likely guys whom you would hear about the world round for their grit and tenacity, along with their laundry-list of health issues they play through at any given time.

Top 5 Toughest St. Louis Blues, Ever

Without further ado, here's the top 5 toughest St. Louis Blues of all time. Keep in mind that this list embodies more than just physical toughness, and was still incredibly hard to come up with because of so many great players to choose from (NOTE: ALL REPORTED STATS ARE ONLY FROM TIME WITH THE ST. LOUIS BLUES CLUB, NOT OVERALL NHL CAREERS).

St. Louis Blues David Backes yells that he is open in the third period against the Washington Capitals at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis on November 15, 2014. St. Louis won the game 4-1.

5. David Backes (2006-Present)

The current captain and long-time tough guy has earned the number-5 spot on this list because of his amazing heart, and his never-say-die attitude. He's been known as one of the toughest opponents in the NHL for years now, isn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with anyone in the league, and has the track record to back it up. In the 2013-14 NHL playoffs he was diagnosed with a concussion after the infamous Brent Seabrook hit sent him in to la-la land. He was expected to miss the remainder of the series, but returned in Game 5 after only missing 2 games from the incident.

More recently he also took an errant TJ Oshie point shot to the mouth and went off the ice just to get some dental work done, a little sewing to the lip area completed, and a cage put on his helmet before heading back out on to the ice to finish the period (he was pulled from the game by team doctors). Besides his incredible tolerance for pain, David Backes has also managed to be the driving force behind Blues' hockey since 2006, amassing 816 PIMs to go along with 372 points (167 G, 205 A), and a plus-50 rating. Truly a tough guy to play against in any arena.

Elsa / Getty Images

Keith Tkachuk #7 of the St. Louis Blues takes a shot on goal as Eric Belanger #25 of the Los Angeles Kings attemps to block on December 2, 2003 at the Savvis Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

4. Keith Tkachuk (2000-2010)

Here's another tough player who earned his spot here from aspects of his game other than fighting. Keith Tkachuk was known for being able to take a beating in front of the opposition's net for as long as it took for his team to score, or the puck to be covered. He had some of the best chirps in the league and was able to get under opposing team's skin in a multitude of ways, whether it be from chippy play in the corners, finishing checks all over the ice, or by planting himself in front and grinding out a goal without budging one bit.

He's also been known to lose a few teeth along the way, but that has never stopped him from playing that in-your-face style of game you'd expect from a Bostonian. Like Captain David Backes, Keith Tkachuk always had a knack for gaining points and aiding team wins ahead of letting his temper get the best of him (543 GP, 208 G, 219 A, 427 P, 677 PIM with the club), and he did all of this while operating in the toughest area of the ice, the opposing crease (low-slot).

Jamie Squire, Getty Images

Ross Lansbury of California (right) and Rob Ramage of the NHL tangle up during the Heroes of Hockey game at the San Jose Arena in San Jose, California. The NHL won the game, 4-3.

3. Rob Ramage (1982-1988)

Rob Ramage was a true old-school tough guy of the NHL. He focused his game on joining the rush and not taking crap from anyone as he did it. He would've been an excellent complement to the team's current blue-line due to his physical play, and his quick transition abilities that the Blues current systems need to be (stay) successful. His leadership was always welcomed in any locker room he was in, and his gritty play made sure he always bested the opposition whether the refs were looking or not.

He was able to help the St. Louis Blues stay competitive through the 80s, and even held the team record for most points by a defenseman (66 in the 1985-86 season) for a brief time, until Jeff Brown scored 78 points in the 1992-93 campaign. He will always be remembered by Blues faithfuls as a 'true-blue' defenseman, who would make sure he dealt with business and then hop up in the play to help his team win.

Bob Plager

2. Bob Plager (1967-1978)

Bob was one of the first St. Louis Blues players after the 1967 NHL expansion brought the area a team, but no one could've guessed the impact he had, and still has, on hockey in the area. Bob Plager was another tough defenseman who wouldn't take crap for anyone, and who loved playing rough for a crowd. His on ice antics quickly made him a fan favorite, and not just because he'd rough up the opposition and block tons of shots in an era where padding was not up to par, but also because he played a style that was electric.

Bob Plager's decades with the St. Louis Blues

Other team members caught on, and early in the Blues' history they started playing tough, 'blue-collar' hockey that is still at the foundation of what we call 'Blues hockey' today. Plager amassed 762 PIMs over 11 seasons with the club, and was a big reason the team started out with 3 straight Stanley Cup finals appearances (another big reason was that 1 expansion team was guaranteed a spot in the final series due to conference alignment), and he is certainly still welcomed into any bar in the area, including his own. While with the Blues, Bob Plager also quickly coined the phrase, "Number-5 in your programs, number-1 in your hearts." which is a testament to his fan-first mentality that helped NHL hockey become a mainstay in the St. Louis area.

1. Brian Sutter (1976-1988)

Brian Sutter is awarded the title of 'Toughest St. Louis Blues Player of All Time' due to his complete playing style. He was able to garner tons of points while helping the Blues' team to countless victories, and he was always the first to get involved in physical play with the opposition to make sure they knew who they were playing against. Many who mention his name still utter the phrase 'heart and soul' as it was what he embodied every time he was on the ice. His 1786 PIMs still top the Blues' record charts, and his 636 career points (303 G, 333 A) also rank 3rd on the team's all-time list.

He was a gritty player who never backed down from any challenge physical or otherwise, and he still had league-wide respect due to his relentless playing style. He was a player who would never give up regardless of any injury he may be suffering at the time, and would find that extra gear to kick in to, in order to fight and claw back in to any game. He was to the Blues then, what the modern day David Backes is to them now, a man who leads (led) by example on and off the ice, and once again (as with every player on this list), he was a 'true Blue'.

Honorable Mentions

This list was incredibly hard to narrow down and due to an abundance of tough players coming through the organization over time, it's only appropriate to list those who were on the cusp of making the cut (IN RANDOM ORDER): Chris Pronger (598 GP, 84 G, 292 A, 396 P, 931 PIM), Mark Hunter (218 GP, 112 G, 94 A, 206 P, 476 PIM), Perry Turnbull (396 GP, 139 G, 99 A, 238 P, 829 PIM), Barret Jackman (756 GP, 27 G, 148 A, 175 P, 999 PIM), Bob Gassoff (245 GP, 11 G, 47 A, 58 P, 866 PIM), Bob Bassen (284 GP, 35 G, 63 A, 98 P, 483 PIM), Wayne Babych (396 GP, 155 G, 190 A, 345 P, 382 PIM), and Tony Twist (294 GP, 10 G, 11 A, 21 P, 688 PIM).

There you have it, the top-5 toughest St. Louis Blues of all time, and those who barely missed the cut. The team will look to continue the trends these players started while with the club throughout this season, and into the future to aid their quest for the franchise's first Stanley Cup.

Like what you've just read? Follow Mike Poepping on Twitter: Follow @pep30

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Top 5 Toughest Blues of all time (article)

Post by theohall »

No mention of Chaser?? ;)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

The fact that Shanahan was not even an honorable mention is a (Franking) crime.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Butcher? Quinn? Wasn't that trade made specifically to get tougher for the playoffs that the Blues obviously wouldn't have been successful in otherwise? (not to mention probably would have won the Cup if not for that trade)
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I have issues with Tkachuk being on the list.

Yes, he took a beating in front of the net. But he rarely dropped the gloves...and when he did, he wasn't a good fighter.

I mean, yes, he was tough. But top 5 tough? Nah. Maybe he makes honorable mention...but even that's iffy to me.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

True about Walt.

Twist or Babych should be on there instead. Twist was the most feared man in hockey for a while! Even beat Probert!

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

(Frank) Twist.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

F Keenan wrote:(Frank) Twist.
Name a single Blue in history who could beat Twist on the ice. NOBODY!

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Opening the Polak door!!

Chris Stewart would go the distance against Twist!!

Or the other players on that list!! Twist the best? !!

Hah!!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Twist would have beat stewart's ass raw.

He was far and away one of the toughest guys in hockey for a good long time. He should totally be on this list.

There isn't a single player ON the list who would have been excited to drop the gloves with Twist.

Chaser is also a good call. That guy was fearless.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Twist would have beat stewart's ass raw.

He was far and away one of the toughest guys in hockey for a good long time. He should totally be on this list.

There isn't a single player ON the list who would have been excited to drop the gloves with Twist.

You're telling me that Twist would have a chance against all of those Exclamation Marks? NO WAY!! :lol:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Twist would have beat stewart's ass raw.

He was far and awayshouldn't the toughest guys in hockey for a good long time. He should totally be on this list.

EXACTLY! And you know Twist would've killed any of them on the ice! The only reason he shouldnt be near the top is because of his lack of playing skills. Sutter could fight and score MANY goals as well as intimidate other teams. But Twist should still be #4 or #5.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

No Gilmour? Scott Stevens? And yes, Shanahan? I don't recall Ramage being that tough but I was very young. Tkachuk? I guess but again not fit to hold Gilmour's or Stevens' jock in the toughness stakes. My clearest memory to this day of Tkachuk's career is the game when the Blues played the Jets early in his career and he and high-sticked Shanahan who went and got stitches. Shanahan came out for the next period, squared up to him, removed his face shield himself and absolutely pummeled Tkachuk.

The top two are good though.

Twist so much in a league of his own I don't even think of him. Not tough, that guy, f'in terrifying!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Twist is one of the most extreme cases in terms of contrast of fighting ability compared to playing ability.

Twist was the best fighter of his era. No question. He just destroyed guys with a pummeling overhand right. It was a joy to watch.
The guy was so big and strong it was ridiculous. Steroids can do that.

But for as good of a fighter as he was, he was undoubtably (I feel) the worst "player" we have ever dressed.
He was unbelievably bad.

Give me Chase or Reaves any day over Twist. They can/could play.

On the flip side, I think Reaves is one of the best all around fighters we have ever had. He can skate very well, he dishes out hits and he can handle the puck very well...plus he is a great fighter.

I think you could make an argument for Twist being #1 on this list. It just depends how much a guy's fighting ability factors into your definition of toughness.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

True cprice but because Sutter was such a great ALL AROUND tough guy he deserves to be #1.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

At the end of the day, I think we can all agree that none of these guys are tough enough for Major League Baseball.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Oaklandblue wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Opening the Polak door!!

Chris Stewart would go the distance against Twist!!

Or the other players on that list!! Twist the best? !!

Hah!!
Chris Stewart??? Seriously? Only if he had his tampon in.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:But for as good of a fighter as he was, he was undoubtably (I feel) the worst "player" we have ever dressed.
He was unbelievably bad.
Oh yeah. So slow, so bad with the puck so incapable of passing or shooting. 10 goals in 445 NHL games-one should score more just by accident. He scored his first goal in his 6th season.

Reaves has some hands and what seems like decent speed but he's as bad as anyone on the team for hurting our possession. I wonder how much time coaches actually devote to a guy like him at the NHL level. Seems to me he could improve.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Ramage? BWAHAHA! A very solid defenseman who would clear the crease well, but overly tough isn't something I would ascribe to Ramge. Tough? Yes. Top 5? No.

Kelly Chase and Bob Gassoff were pound for pound the best fighters this team ever had. Where the hell are they on this list?

And as far as taking punishment... what about Shanahan? He took as much as Tkachoke, if not more... and would fight often.

This list is one of the Top 5 Lamest articles I have ever read.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

goon attack wrote:This list is one of the Top 5 Lamest articles I have ever read.
I'd agree if it weren't for Plager and Sutter-good choices both-at the top. So maybe Top 10 lamest articles for me...