Still pretenders

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Still pretenders

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't call losing 6 of 7 a short stretch for a team as highly regarded as this one.

Further, the play against quality opponents is disconcerting to say the least. This team is full on headed towards a first round exit (or sooner) if they can't get the ship righted expeditiously.

Broken record: Signing ott and bergland was complete (Franking) fail. It's killing this team to be eating those contract for a never was and a has been.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

flyingnote38 wrote:Former Hawks GM Mike Smith felt that it took until "American Thanksgiving" to figure out what your team is. Even waiting until "American Christmas," it seems pretty clear that this team is not good enough to compete for the Cup. This is not a reaction to a single game, but a pretty mediocre Aves team did just expose all the Blues flaws for you last night. And since that game came on the heels of giving away 3 standing points in the previous two games on the trip, it is a bit worrisome.

The telling stat from last night (updated for today) was that if the playoffs started today, the Blues' record against teams in the playoffs would be 10-8-2. Against teams staying home, 11-2-1. This is your quintessential Hitchcock coached Blues team. Enough talent and (usually) consistent game-in game-out effort to rack up points in the regular season. But not talented enough to beat the legit contenders. If the Blues faced the Hawks, Sharks, Ducks, or Kings in a 7 game series, who would honestly expect the Blues to win? I'm not sure they could beat the Preds, Stars, or Aves for that matter. The Blues look slow compared to their opponents most nights. I'm amazed at how much time and space the other team seems to have in our end.

This year's squad is clearly inferior to the Blues teams of recent vintage. Piet has to be the front runner for comeback player of the year for the 2015-6 season. The defense in general has been pretty mediocre. The lack of goaltending depth has hurt. Tarasenko is the only elite offensive talent we have. Lehtera has been an unexpected boost; I hate to think where we'd be without him (probably double shifting Ott). But Stastny has been a bust so far and Oshie, Steen, Backes, Berglund are all underperforming. Ott, Lapierre and Reaves are a waste of icetime.

This team needs a major overhaul or a first round exit seems like a lock.
sucks being right.

hitch is gone, not a doubt. Armstrong should be too. This core has no heart, none.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:And yet this core has only won one playoff series. One. As in singular. Not much proof they are capable of "beating anyone." Based on the past decade, the opposite assumption seems to be the better one. Admittedly I'm basing that just on the one decade
Failing to mention that the 3 playoff series this team has lost were to the team that dominated everyone on their way to the Cup, that same team that was defending their Stanley Cup, and the team that beat that team on their way to the Stanley Cup and was defending their Stanley Cup.

It's not like we're dropping series to the Wild or the Predators, for God's sake.
and now?
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Oaklandblue wrote:We lose a couple games and we're suddenly pretenders? Y'all are so funny... So funny
Now you see it's not so funny. We were serious!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

LMAO!

Did Flyingnote just OWN dmiles or what? Not only did the Blues lose to the Wild but I think we all agree that the Preds would have likely beaten the Blues in a 7 game series too.

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by PGABluesFan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:LMAO!

Did Flyingnote just OWN dmiles or what? Not only did the Blues lose to the Wild but I think we all agree that the Preds would have likely beaten the Blues in a 7 game series too.
Seriously is this kid like 13 years old?

"LMAO Dmiles Got REKT!!!11!!"

Seriously over 1000 posts and he isn't banned yet.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

PGABluesFan wrote:

That's being insulting to 13 year-olds.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

PGABluesFan wrote:

Please foe this kid and stop quoting him, if you have questions about how to do this just ask me.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

STLADOGG wrote:
Please foe this kid and stop quoting him, if you have questions about how to do this just ask me.
:plusplus:

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

flyingnote38 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:And yet this core has only won one playoff series. One. As in singular. Not much proof they are capable of "beating anyone." Based on the past decade, the opposite assumption seems to be the better one. Admittedly I'm basing that just on the one decade
Failing to mention that the 3 playoff series this team has lost were to the team that dominated everyone on their way to the Cup, that same team that was defending their Stanley Cup, and the team that beat that team on their way to the Stanley Cup and was defending their Stanley Cup.

It's not like we're dropping series to the Wild or the Predators, for God's sake.
and now?
I'm sorry but this made me chuckle a bit this morning... I'm starting to be able to laugh about it. I think that's one of the steps to recovery.

Sad, but funny.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

abc789987 wrote:
flyingnote38 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

and now?
I'm sorry but this made me chuckle a bit this morning... I'm starting to be able to laugh about it. I think that's one of the steps to recovery.

Sad, but funny.

Le sigh :(
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

flyingnote38 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

and now?
Yeah, good call. Had you kept this in the back of your mind for 3 months? If so, kudos.

That said, the Wild still have a shot to win the Stanley Cup. Also note, I said that before the Wild turned into the best team in hockey for the last 30 games of the season. Nonetheless, it's a crushing blow and I'm not happy and I'm wanting changes for the Blues pronto, just like everyone else. That work?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Good job dmiles. You took your lumps, admitted your mistake, and ate crow.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Good job dmiles. You took your lumps, admitted your mistake, and ate crow.
Your acknowledgement will be the highlight of my day. Nay, my week.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

WOW! Look at the amazing stat below!

The #1, #2 and #3 all-time coaching win leaders had their first head coaching jobs with the Blues and couldn't win the Cup. Now all time winningest coach #4 can't even get the Blues to win a 2nd round game.

heff
Rookie
Rookie

Post by heff »

PGABluesFan wrote:

I just know he's an insufferable ****.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

STLADOGG wrote:
PGABluesFan wrote:

Tell me how to do this, please. I assume foe is some sort of ignore function.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

KrustyKevo wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
PGABluesFan wrote:

No need to foe him. He has been voted off the island.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cprice12 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
PGABluesFan wrote:

:shock:

:)

:grin:

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

cprice12 wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
PGABluesFan wrote:

You're doing God's work, Cprice.
I wonder how quickly he'll make another account, though. He has to be a troll.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”