GDT #32: 12/18/14 | 9:30PM CST | @ Kings | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #32: 12/18/14 | 9:30PM CST | @ Kings | FSMW/KMOX

Post by ecbm »

Can't remember the last time a regular season game left such a foul taste in my mouth. Disgusting performance. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Yeah boys, go ahead and put your feet up because you have a 3-0 lead with 45 minutes left against a team that's beaten you 10 times in a row in their building.

That was a Kings team with 15 wins before that game that was in the middle of a scoring funk who are missing one of their top 4 defensemen.

I would ride the s--- out of the squad over the next few practices and now I am thinking maybe someone from the core should be traded just to shake these guys out of their complacency. HEY DUDES, YOU HAVEN'T WON JACK SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD KEEP FEET MOVING, EH? OTHERWISE I'VE THREE BUS TICKETS TO SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE JUNIOR C TEAMS...BLIND RIVER...MEDICINE HAT...SQUAW ISLAND...
glen a richter wrote:Where is that Steve Ott?
Dallas in 2009, that's where.

Finally, Petro needs to sit more until he gets his head out of his...

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

The Blues looked super tired and sloppy in the second. Lazy passes, didn't get pucks going north-south, too much cutesy east-west crap, and not enough hustle after loose pucks. That and some weak penalty calls cost them the game. I agree that they need some motivation after that one.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:
ComradeT wrote:The late game sucked. Blues were great in the first but by the middle of the second it was obvious that it was a late night for the Blues. I think the same goes for Brodeur. I would seriously considering minimizing his playing time in late west coast games. At 40 it's just tough to stay awake that late, no matter what adrenaline is going through your body.
There's an 85 year old who played in a competitive game up in Canada recently. Brodeur has no excuse. Maybe his mind was preoccupied with thoughts of his sister in law.... :ninja:
Whoa! Was that just a pick up game or an actual league game?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 14488.html

I stand corrected, the game is today. Still, though...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

I blame Comrade for not starting a thread GDT.....lol
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not upset that we lost. I'm upset that we had a 3 goal lead and lost. Going in, I thought the Kings would be fired up. It's hard to sweep a home and home against a good team, and I thought the Kings would come out strong and beat us. A 3-2 loss in which we played adequately, I would have been kinda OK with. But, when you go up 3-0, gotta close the door. Where's that Army/Hitch quote about stomping on their throats?

5 game winning streak. Just took over the game in the 3rd period against this same team 2 nights before. Came out to a 3 goal lead early on by taking advantage of their mistakes. Maybe the team got cocky or something and let up. There was a definite change in how the game went. I'm OK missing out on 2 points here and there if the team takes something from it. Hopefully this reminds them to stay focused for all 60 minutes every single game and to never let up. Unfortunately, I feel like we say that about this team every time they lose a game.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Overall thoughts on the Brodeur experiment?

I only got to listen to the first half of the first period last night on XM radio before I called it a night. When I saw the final score it sounded to me like Brodeur got shelled. His stats with us so far are pretty mediocre/average, so... For those that have seen more of him in net than me, what's the deal?
eh, he's been alright I think. He's not Brodeur of old, but he hasn't been a liability either really. It would be nice if 6 goal games didn't happen against him, but the team in front of him looked pretty bad for awhile last night.

One thing I've noticed about how he plays is that he allows rebounds, not really in a bad way though. He seems to try to direct rebounds to teammates more than I'm used to.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

As far as I could tell, Brodeur was giving up the juiciest of rebounds all night, but I can't remember if any of those turned directly into goals. It WAS incredibly uncomfortable to watch.

We gave the game away in the 3rd. Literally the inverse of what happened in STL on Tuesday.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I think this is one of those games where winning and losing don't matter as much as seeing how the guys respond to adversity. They responded.

Brodeur played the best game he could play and I can't fault him one bit, given the circumstances of us playing the Kings and his age, he stood pretty damn tall. My only question is, if he's supposed to be the backup, why is he playing in big West Coast games like this? This should have really went to Jake and Brodeur should be there to give him days off and help with the load where necessary. He's a "loaner", not a tandem player, and I really hope Hitch keeps that in mind and plays him accordingly. Marty's best days are truly behind him.

Being out Jaden really hurts, but that didn't stop the good guys from going after the big W.

I think games like this really display the minor glaring holes that we have, the invisible Bergy, the limited purpose Ott, who the last few games I have to admit has pulled his weight in a very limited role and Jaskin, who seems to shoot every pass he gets. Not saying this to be mean, but Jaskin is like the Anti-Stewart, who would pass just about every pass he gets. I don't feel Jaskin is ready for the big time. I'd have rather had Rattie if we're going to dig into the minors, but Jaskin did contribute and I'm not knocking him one bit because at least he, like everyone else, came to play. I just think he could have done better with the opportunities that he got when he got the puck passed. You're not going to win a shooting war against Quick unless you got a laser shot or a setup play, and Jaskin doesn't have that. Hitch should utilize him in a different capacity or give him a more focused, limited role to help his growth. That's just my opinion.

All in all, if you can complain about this game, beyond saying we lost, I think you have some serious problems *eyeshifts*. Good game, boys.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I thought Jaskin played well last night. I think somebody else mentioned it already, but it would be nice if Jaskin shows Army that somebody making a lot more than him is expendable.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cardsfan04 wrote:I thought Jaskin played well last night. I think somebody else mentioned it already, but it would be nice if Jaskin shows Army that somebody making a lot more than him is expendable.
Yeah he did.
His battling on the boards was awesome, and is very strong on the puck. Very impressive.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Berglund and Ott for a bag of pucks and a 3rd round pick?

Ok, ok, 4th round... :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

The past half dozen games or so, I think Berglund has looked better out there. I'm still on the "trade Berglund" bandwagon though as he should have some value.

I like Ott on the 4th line. Just sayin'. If they need to get rid of his salary, that's fine...but salary aside, I think he is playing fine.

Brodeur was ok last night. He had some nice saves, and a couple of really good ones. Probably should have had one or two of those goals...maybe. But he looked shaky. He gave up some rebounds he shouldn't have. He was back in his net a lot and just looked a little overwhelmed, like he was fighting off everything. He made me nervous.

I didn't want to see Brodeur start that game. I wanted to see Allen start. I'm sure there were some other strategies involved, such as not overexposing Allen too much to a team we may face in the playoffs again or whatever...but like someone else said, Allen is the #1 right now. He should have gotten the start vs. the Kings in the home and at home matchup. Maybe we win that game with him in net...maybe we still lose. Either way, I think he should have started.

The biggest problem I see on this team right now, by far, is our inability to clear the puck out of our zone consistently. I think at least two of LA's goals last night came from when we had a good chance to clear the puck out and we couldn't. This seems to happen almost every game where it burns us for a goal. I know it happens to every team to some degree, but I expect better of this team which wants to win the cup this year. We've given up far too many goals this year from our inability to clear the zone.

I can't wait for Elliott to come back.

Their first goal was a huge kick in the balls...which happened because we couldn't get the puck out when we had a good chance to. If we could have gotten out of the 1st period with a 3-0 lead, that would have been huge. But no, they get the late goal and that seemed to be a huge lift to them going into intermission. If we don't allow that goal, things may have been very different.

The 2nd goal was just a bad turnover by Oshie and then he didn't pick up Kopitar in the Blues end and he takes a pass right down the slot and walks in and scores. Bad shift by Oshie.

Petro was sleeping on the Kings tying goal late in the 2nd. He let Gaboric go right behind him and grab the rebound and put it in. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

Petro also looked bad on the tying goal early in the 3rd. For some reason he slid down and slid towards the puck carrier. His job is to take away the pass while not giving the puck carrier a lane to the net. He didn't do that. He abandoned the winger and gave a passing lane, which forced Brodeur to move across to try to block the shot which is what the Kings want in that situation...to get Brodeur moving....and of course he scored.

Petro also screened Brodeur on the Kings 5th goal...just skated in front of him and made no effort to block the shot. Not a good night for him at all.

The Kings 6th goal was just flukey BS that pretty much squelched any comeback we may have had in mind. :evil:

Great start to the game...bad finish to the game. And I'm really down on Petro right now. He needs to be waaaaaay better than he has been playing.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

peoriabluesfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by peoriabluesfan »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:We used to have a guy in Peoria who would post on the board about the goings on in Peoria...but that doesn't really help us much now. :lol:
Peoria now has a SPHL team. The hockey up here sucks now!
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Martin Havlat
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Chris Porter
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Chris Porter

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 14488.html

I stand corrected, the game is today. Still, though...
LOL..that is the "Huff & Puff" league. Still impressive though.

Now Brodeur has a place to play when his Blues career is over! :grin:

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

So Blues beat LA and Tank has 3 goals and an assist and he is not even in three stars. Kings beat the Blues and Kopitar has 1 goal and 4 assists an he is the first star. Seriously NHL, what the (Frank). Get your shit straight.

I know, irrelevant. Still pisses me off.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Good to see y'all trying to still justify Brodeur even though he's been well below average. Anything to keep Dougie's job, huh?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:The past half dozen games or so, I think Berglund has looked better out there. I'm still on the "trade Berglund" bandwagon though as he should have some value.

I like Ott on the 4th line. Just sayin'. If they need to get rid of his salary, that's fine...but salary aside, I think he is playing fine.

Brodeur was ok last night. He had some nice saves, and a couple of really good ones. Probably should have had one or two of those goals...maybe. But he looked shaky. He gave up some rebounds he shouldn't have. He was back in his net a lot and just looked a little overwhelmed, like he was fighting off everything. He made me nervous.

I didn't want to see Brodeur start that game. I wanted to see Allen start. I'm sure there were some other strategies involved, such as not overexposing Allen too much to a team we may face in the playoffs again or whatever...but like someone else said, Allen is the #1 right now. He should have gotten the start vs. the Kings in the home and at home matchup. Maybe we win that game with him in net...maybe we still lose. Either way, I think he should have started.

The biggest problem I see on this team right now, by far, is our inability to clear the puck out of our zone consistently. I think at least two of LA's goals last night came from when we had a good chance to clear the puck out and we couldn't. This seems to happen almost every game where it burns us for a goal. I know it happens to every team to some degree, but I expect better of this team which wants to win the cup this year. We've given up far too many goals this year from our inability to clear the zone.

I can't wait for Elliott to come back.

Their first goal was a huge kick in the balls...which happened because we couldn't get the puck out when we had a good chance to. If we could have gotten out of the 1st period with a 3-0 lead, that would have been huge. But no, they get the late goal and that seemed to be a huge lift to them going into intermission. If we don't allow that goal, things may have been very different.

The 2nd goal was just a bad turnover by Oshie and then he didn't pick up Kopitar in the Blues end and he takes a pass right down the slot and walks in and scores. Bad shift by Oshie.

Petro was sleeping on the Kings tying goal late in the 2nd. He let Gaboric go right behind him and grab the rebound and put it in. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

Petro also looked bad on the tying goal early in the 3rd. For some reason he slid down and slid towards the puck carrier. His job is to take away the pass while not giving the puck carrier a lane to the net. He didn't do that. He abandoned the winger and gave a passing lane, which forced Brodeur to move across to try to block the shot which is what the Kings want in that situation...to get Brodeur moving....and of course he scored.

Petro also screened Brodeur on the Kings 5th goal...just skated in front of him and made no effort to block the shot. Not a good night for him at all.

The Kings 6th goal was just flukey BS that pretty much squelched any comeback we may have had in mind. :evil:

Great start to the game...bad finish to the game. And I'm really down on Petro right now. He needs to be waaaaaay better than he has been playing.
Exactly!
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Good to see y'all trying to still justify Brodeur even though he's been well below average. Anything to keep Dougie's job, huh?
We're on pace for 112.75 points. I don't think his job needs to be justified.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I thought Jaskin played well last night. I think somebody else mentioned it already, but it would be nice if Jaskin shows Army that somebody making a lot more than him is expendable.
EVEN I SAID THAT!!!

It really was me, but I'm sure other people are saying/thinking the same thing.

I mostly just wanted to do my best JNE impersonation.

Was happy to see him get on the board. He was definitely noticeable, unlike some other guys.....*cough*
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko