GDT #28: 12/8/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Panthers | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #28: 12/8/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Panthers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:It may very well be that Bouwmeester is the straw that stirs the drink. His absence has been disasterous for the defense. I'd bet when he gets back (and Elliott), things take a positive turn. Hate to say it would be like making a trade, but it really would.
The funny thing about this...it's a team that's won it's last 2, 4 out of the last 6, and 6 out of the last 9 (with one loss getting the charity point). Does a 'positive turn' mean winning 9 straight?

I understand the team hasn't played great lately...but they're still winning games. It's not as bad as everything thinks.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think there's an expectation that the team will dominate for long stretches of games. This team hasn't looked dominant even in most of the games they have actually won. They have lost some bad games lately as well.

It is a long season and it happens, but the expectations for this team are sky high - cup or it's a failed year. They are all in on the window they have right now, and people expect the team to look like a cup contender rather than just another team.

Do I think the sky is falling, no. Do I think they look like they are ready for a cup run - no.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:It may very well be that Bouwmeester is the straw that stirs the drink. His absence has been disasterous for the defense. I'd bet when he gets back (and Elliott), things take a positive turn. Hate to say it would be like making a trade, but it really would.
The funny thing about this...it's a team that's won it's last 2, 4 out of the last 6, and 6 out of the last 9 (with one loss getting the charity point). Does a 'positive turn' mean winning 9 straight?

I understand the team hasn't played great lately...but they're still winning games. It's not as bad as everything thinks.
That's what really excites me about this team. When they seem to be playing well below their ability, they are still winning at a very respectable clip. When they put it all together (please be April/May, please be April May) they're going to be really really really really really good.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

cardsfan04 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

That's what really excites me about this team. When they seem to be playing well below their ability, they are still winning at a very respectable clip. When they put it all together (please be April/May,JUNE please be April May JUNE) they're going to be really really really really really good.
FTFY :wink:
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A positive turn means not giving up boatloads of goals or having to claw back from 3 goals down, or winning because of a very late burst that helps recover from coughing up a lead. A positive turn is getting a lead and then tightening the clamp, building on that lead, tightening the clamp a little more and not letting up. The defense looks real shaky sans Bouwmeester. I don't like Butler being a regular in this lineup, I don't think Lindbohm is ready for extended time and Cole is close but not there. That's more an extension of the way he was used over the last couple of seasons. If he gets more regular time, I think he'll fit in fine. But without Bouwmeester, there's something obviously missing that's preventing sustained in-game success. When you control the flow of the game, you win the game. When you win games without controlling the flow, it's luck or incompetence on the part of the other team. In the case of the NY game, the Islanders gave that game to the Blues. It was their game to win and they just became incompetent. They still controlled the game, and 6 goals or not, the Blues looked bad. They looked like they were missing something.

All said, though, I'd rather they be missing something now and still be winning than missing something in April/May/June and be losing. Get the parts healthy and full strength for when it matters. Apart from the opinion of one idiot Islanders fan who was trying to console his upset daughter after the game, there's very little danger of the Blues actually missing the playoffs.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I agree that there are issues on D. I think Petro and Shatz are being over-used with Bouw out and that's having an impact on the play of the team.

We went from an embarrassment of riches to a bit of a weak link with a trade and an injury.

I'm not sure I like the move of dumping Polak, but we will see how it works out. I know puck moving defense is key to this system, but toughness on the back end goes a long way for a team.

I really think they just need to get some chemistry going on the front end by maybe leaving the lines alone more.

It sets up an interesting trade deadline... stand still? deal for more help somewhere? !?!?!
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Anyone else see this flash on the screen for like 5 seconds during the game?
I assume it was just the on screen drawing tools thing was turned on for a sec.
Thought it was funny.
Attachments
blues-panthers-goof.jpg
blues-panthers-goof.jpg (183.5 KiB) Viewed 548 times
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cprice12 wrote:Anyone else see this flash on the screen for like 5 seconds during the game?
I assume it was just the on screen drawing tools thing was turned on for a sec.
Thought it was funny.
Yeah Panger and Kelly were silent lol.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

FWIW, Polak actually has as many points in one more game played than Gunnarsson so far this season (3 g, 2 a) except that he's a -6, but on a team that has worse defense to begin with. He's also out with a leg injury, so effectively equal stats and currently equal uselessness to their respective teams. Maybe the trade will work out in the long run but right now it does seem we got the short end of the stick.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:FWIW, Polak actually has as many points in one more game played than Gunnarsson so far this season (3 g, 2 a) except that he's a -6, but on a team that has worse defense to begin with. He's also out with a leg injury, so effectively equal stats and currently equal uselessness to their respective teams. Maybe the trade will work out in the long run but right now it does seem we got the short end of the stick.
Toronto actually has the same team +/- as the Blues (+9). They allow more but they score more as well. Their defense is split about 50/50 in terms of +/-, with 4 guys in the positive category and 4 guys in the negative. Polak has the second worst +/- on the team. It is probably due to him being used in the PK more than others and spending second-most time on ice per game, but Phaneuf, for example, is +14, leading the Leafs in ice time per game while being close second to Polak in short-handed ice time per game.

The Blues essentially replaced the 17 munites of Polak'ss ice time with 16+ minutes of Gunnarsson's ice time, getting better puck movement and offensive aptitude in return for toughness that was, in fact, waning (we didn't see the Polak door open that often last season, and his stats for Toronto may back it up). Gunnarsson makes $200k more than Polak for year, so that's not that significant. Toronto seems to be overusing Polak with 21+ minutes per game, which may have contributed to his abysmal +/-. The only thing that needs to happen is that Gunnarsson needs to increase his offensive production. That however, may be a function of no one but STL line really lighting it up. His assists would be much higher if more Blues forwards scored more goals.

So worst case, this is an even-steven trade with both teams yet to reap intended rewards. But it's a stretch to say the Blues got screwed here.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov