GDT #27: 12/6/14 | 12:00PM CST | @ Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #27: 12/6/14 | 12:00PM CST | @ Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

BLUES (16-8-2) at ISLANDERS (19-7-0)

TV: FS-MW, MSG+

Season series: The St. Louis Blues and New York Islanders will play the first of two games in a span of six days; the rematch is Thursday in St. Louis. The Blues won both games against the Islanders last season, including 4-3 in a shootout on Jan. 25 at Nassau Coliseum when Alexander Steen and Kevin Shattenkirk scored in the tiebreaker after T.J. Oshie forced overtime by scoring with 26.7 seconds remaining in regulation.

Blues team scope: The Blues limp into Nassau Coliseum on the heels of back-to-back Central Division losses, 4-1 to the Chicago Blackhawks and 4-3 to the Nashville Predators. Goalie Martin Brodeur made his debut for the Blues against the Predators, stopping 20 shots in the loss.

"I think we're playing good teams and we're making big errors," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "... We made huge mistakes in Chicago and we made big mistakes here [against Nashville] and they cost us, again."

Jake Allen, who took the loss against the Blackhawks, will start in goal.

Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester (groin) has been skating but will miss his seventh straight game after playing in 737 consecutive games.

Islanders team scope: He's on his third team since being traded last season prior to the NHL Trade Deadline, but goalie Jaroslav Halak will get the chance to face his former team for the first time.

Halak set a franchise record Thursday by winning his 11th consecutive game, 2-1 against the Ottawa Senators.

"It's always nice, but I would say I'm not here to chase any records or anything," Halak said after the game. "I'm here to have fun, play hockey and try to help the guys win the game."

The Islanders have won three in a row and eight of their past nine.

"The mentality right from the start has been defense first," said coach Jack Capuano, whose team is an NHL-best 12-1-0 in one-goal games.

The Islanders on Friday recalled Ryan Pulock from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the American Hockey League after placing defenseman Travis Hamonic (upper body) on injured reserve. Hamonic joins top-six defensemen Johnny Boychuk (upper body) and Lubomir Visnovsky (upper body) on IR.
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #26: 12/4/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

wtf? :facepalm: Well now it's a total loss with the game day thread all fucked up...
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #26: 12/4/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Predators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:wtf? :facepalm: Well now it's a total loss with the game day thread all fucked up...
Shhhhh. It didn't happen. I was distracted and hit the post button before I made the changes. And that....will change our luck.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #27: 12/6/14 | 12:00PM CST | @ Islanders | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

I get to go to, if I'm lucky, one game every couple of years. Win it for me guys.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

How about that Doug Armstrong, huh? This really looks like a team whose primary need was a 50-year-old washed up goalie, amirite?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

PGABluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by PGABluesFan »

Holy. S**t. All I can say.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Nyghtewynd wrote:How about that Doug Armstrong, huh? This really looks like a team whose primary need was a 50-year-old washed up goalie, amirite?
what a difference two hours makes...

I want six goals every night now.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

We needed a win like that, so bad. So great to see players other than S.T.L. contributing.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:How about that Doug Armstrong, huh? This really looks like a team whose primary need was a 50-year-old washed up goalie, amirite?
what a difference two hours makes...

I want six goals every night now.
...not really, no....
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Ironically my chief complaint was that I wanted to see Allen so the Blues had a chance, and it was Brodeur who saved the day. Great game for 40 minutes, thankfully the right 40 minutes.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Please, tell us the moves he should make....

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Please, tell us the moves he should make....
Nyghtewynd is so pessimistic he makes me look like Mr. Freaking Sunshine.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

By the way the Blues looked mighty sloppy and not a team playing like a team. The problem with this team isn't the goaltending, though Snake did look real crappy. A trade needs to be made, because the sloppiness looks like internal issues. Unless Bouwmeester really is that important to the team.

As far as Snake, I'm his biggest supporter but he's playing real bad. Maybe going back to Chicago when Ells gets back isn't a bad idea.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:By the way the Blues looked mighty sloppy and not a team playing like a team. The problem with this team isn't the goaltending, though Snake did look real crappy. A trade needs to be made, because the sloppiness looks like internal issues. Unless Bouwmeester really is that important to the team.

As far as Snake, I'm his biggest supporter but he's playing real bad. Maybe going back to Chicago when Ells gets back isn't a bad idea.
If I'm not mistaken, he's on a one way deal now. He signed a two year contract, first year being two way (last season), second years being one way. So he'd have to go through waivers to get down there.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

glen a richter wrote:By the way the Blues looked mighty sloppy and not a team playing like a team. The problem with this team isn't the goaltending, though Snake did look real crappy. A trade needs to be made, because the sloppiness looks like internal issues. Unless Bouwmeester really is that important to the team.

The offense clicked just fine (at least to me it did), but the Blues have problems in the defensive zone, and I think a lion share of that really is due to Bouwmeester gone. He built up good chemistry with Pietrangelo, and shuffling the D pairings must have upset the balance a bit. Plus, Gunnarsson left early which couldn't have helped. Still everyone put the effort in and never stop skating. That was really the key to all those non-STL-line goals, the hustle and constant pressure. Also, Pie and Shatty were beasts in the Islanders zone pinching in and holding the line. And Backes had the hulk mode on all game long.

It was good to see the boys win despite a couple of bullshit calls. Hopefully Gunnarsson will be ok. And did you all pick up on the "you gonna dig in on Marty you going to pay taxes" or whatever the ref said there? Anyway, 2 points, onto the next one.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

that game was rough!
When they made that tripping call on Stastny I about shit. Refs were freaking terrible!
It was weird seeing Stastny finally doing something.
Jay Bo needs to come back, now! The Defense is really bad and sloppy. Wish Polak was still here too.

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Frusciante »

ComradeT wrote: And did you all pick up on the "you gonna dig in on Marty you going to pay taxes" or whatever the ref said there?
I thought it was a Blues player who said that in the scrum that came after they whacked a bit on Marty? Seems like an odd thing for a ref to say. No calls were made at that point either.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Even the Isles fans readily admitted that was a hideous call. The guy next to me was probably the most knowledgeable fan I ever sat by. Too bad he was wearing the blue and orange.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Frusciante wrote:
ComradeT wrote: And did you all pick up on the "you gonna dig in on Marty you going to pay taxes" or whatever the ref said there?
I thought it was a Blues player who said that in the scrum that came after they whacked a bit on Marty? Seems like an odd thing for a ref to say. No calls were made at that point either.
I thought it was kinda odd too, but I think he was basically just telling the Islander that he's not drawing a penalty for a situation he instigated.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Islander fans are indeed godless liberal commies who probably listen to Nickelback and watch Chicago Fire, but those third jerseys the Isles have are DOPE
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller