Bruins scouting Blues

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Bruins scouting Blues

Post by goon attack »

I hope to God they don't trade Backes. But this motherfreaking trainwreck of a loser organization has pissed me off many, many times before, so I'm expecting the worst.

I don't want to see Steen go either.

I feel this team is pretty stacked right now. Why not see what it can do in the playoffs? Jesus.

Except Berglund and Ott, of course. Good riddance.

I found this to be quite humorous:

BWAHAHAHA!:

"CHRIS PORTER (wing, $675k through 2014-15)
Come on. We know this isn’t a guy on anyone’s radar." :grin:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:You guys are really ok with Backes leaving?? :facepalm:
Not me either. I hear Lucic brought up-inferior player of same type with a horrible attitude. Anyone else is trading a top-line player for a 2nd/3rd line player at best. If I'm moving him for D, Chara is the only guy that interests me. As far as the fight goes, first, it's a common occurrence. It's like having an argument with the guy in the next cube. More broadly, as much as I love 91, as far as attitude goes he needs to keep in mind he's 22 and Backes is the captain. Given Hitchcock's tendencies I'm guessing he has highlighted this.

I could see moving Steen. What he's "done" since he got his extension is disturbing. Last season was an outlier and I'd bet a good sum right now that when he retires, that will have been his best. Another contract returning less value than we would have gotten from Boat (35games, 7-22-29 & +17 so far) at $2.3M per.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Not to mention Backes and Stastny are pretty much the same guy, Stastny has better hands.
Wha?
Backes and Stastny are nothing alike as a player.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I can't see them moving Backes unless they get a ton in return.

Moving him would be shocking. :shock:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I could get on board with trading Steen too. Bottom line is that in a salary cap era guys we don't want to see leave will have to leave anyway when they start costing too much. Besides which, our pipeline runs pretty deep, for now anyway. I could see Backes, Steen, Oshie, Berglund (please!), Ott (also please!) and Jackman (please, 3x) all gone at some point. I'm envisioning the potential of Fabbri, Barbashev, Rattie (maybe), Jaskin (should be), Vanelli, hell the list goes on. I've heard glowing things about Parayko too, and Binnington might cause them to second guess having Allen be the goalie of the future. Do you trade them, let them rot in the AHL or over in Europe or do you make room for them? For certain though is that Backes will not retire a Blue and neither will Oshie or a whole slew of other guys currently on roster--maybe not even Vova, eventually. How much longer these guys stay on the team is another issue for another day.

This team is stocked up to avoid an immediate rebuild after the current window closes, but they need to keep the prospects flowing or the next window will shut damn fast.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I sure as hell would not trade Steen. It seems like every time Steen gets hurt, the Blues start struggling. He comes back from injury and they start winning again. He's one of the hardest darn skaters on the team and the power play works when helluva lot better with him than without him.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Figured I'd post this here instead of a separate thread, but if you all feel a separate thread is warranted, let me know.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthrea ... e-big-move
Elliotte Friedman was on Toronto’s Sportsnet 590 on Friday morning.

On the St. Louis Blues:

“When they signed Brodeur, I think there were a lot of people who were really skeptical, but he hasn’t been too bad. There’s no question about that. As a matter of fact, he’s kind of stabilized them.

“I think to me, the biggest question is you look at the young players who are starting to take more control of the roster. I think the question in St. Louis is, ‘We’ve proven we’re a good regular season team, we just can’t get over the hump in the playoffs.’ And they tend to lose to really good teams.

“You know, there’s been a lot of rumblings around the Blues that maybe some of their veterans – Berglund, Oshie, I heard Steen’s name came up this week in some report. I didn’t see who reported it, but I heard about it - that maybe one of the veterans goes to get them that piece they need. And I’m curious to see if Doug Armstrong feels the need to do that.

“I get the sense with that team that there is one big move that they’re going to try to make to get them over the hump. And I think they’re a really good team, but I think they look at themselves and say, ‘We thought we were good before, and we haven’t been able to beat (them).’ So I’m curious to see if Armstrong pulls the trigger on something because he still feels he needs another piece to get there.”
But the counter to that...is this....

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthrea ... gnificance
Darren Dreger was on Winnipeg’s TSN 1290 on Wednesday afternoon.

On which players on the Winnipeg Jets might be more likely to be moved in a trade:

“No, not really. I mean, we can identify certain individuals and wonder and speculate, but that’s all it is.

“It’s not just Winnipeg. I touched on this last night on TSN with our Insider Trading segment. There’s a lot of talk around the St. Louis Blues, as an example. Is Patrik Berglund going to get traded. Is T.J. Oshie a player who might be available. Alex Steen’s name, for heaven’s sake, has popped up as potential trade fodder.

“But I had a brief chat with Doug Armstrong coming out of the Board of Governors meetings and he said, ‘Look, we like our team right now.’

“You never say never. If somebody approaches Cheveldayoff or approaches Doug Armstrong with a specific need and a player in mind, and is willing to pay a price that makes sense, then those players are absolutely available. But I don’t get the sense out of Winnipeg, nor do I get the sense out of St. Louis, that they’re shopping anyone of any significance.”

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I hope Dreger is the one that's right. I'm not adamantly opposed to a trade or anything. But, I don't really see the point either. We made changes this offseason with the intention of being more viable in the playoffs. I don't see what has happened in the first ~30 games of the season to change anything. If we're blown away by an offer, well, some decisions make themselves. But, I don't think we should be actively shopping anybody.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:I hope Dreger is the one that's right. I'm not adamantly opposed to a trade or anything. But, I don't really see the point either. We made changes this offseason with the intention of being more viable in the playoffs. I don't see what has happened in the first ~30 games of the season to change anything. If we're blown away by an offer, well, some decisions make themselves. But, I don't think we should be actively shopping anybody.
This, basically.

If our "young core" (who isn't really young anymore) need any more mentoring, then yea, we have the wrong players. We ostensibly brought in Arnott and Langenbrunner, Morrow, all these old guys to teach the maturity and tricks of the trade. We had McDonald before that. It's their team now. Broduer might have a calming influence in the locker room but he shouldn't have to lead. At all.

I agree that the mantra is getting old: We're awesome in the regular season so don't change things up, and then we lose in the playoffs because we don't have a killer instinct. Repeating the same activity over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. But, as you say, we've made some changes this offseason, namely letting Miller go and bringing in Stastny, with hoping the "young guys improve" but is that going to change the result in the playoffs? I would argue another year development of Tarasenko and Schwartz are almost as major a development as bringing in Stastny and letting Miller walk but that's probably an overstatement.

It's extremely difficult to make big trades in the regular season when your team is winning and sitting atop your division. But how many years of playoff futility is it going to take before the Blues GM (be it Army or someone else) shuffles the "core" of guys that we have? (Backes/Oshie/Berglund/Steen heck even Shatty/Bouwmeester (who, for all his veteran status, has a grand total of 12 playoff games; guess what team?)) I'm not suggesting it's this year... but it could be potentially sooner than we think. If we have a third straight year of a crappy first round exit... I could see it happening.

IMO, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen and Pietro are about the only untouchables on this team.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I am pretty much on board with you Waukee.

Most of the Young Guys are now prime of their career heading

I think you are seeing the ceiling from the Berglund/Oshie/Backes group of players.

They haven't won shit.

Moving some of them may be a good choice.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I'll trade anyone but Frank, Jori, Jaden and the goalies for players who are hungry and don't play this lazy, sloppy, lackadaisal style of hockey that sme of our players have seemingly adopted. The way we're playing is enough to get into the playoffs but without desire and hunger, we're not getting far. Break the cycle.

Trade Backes. If he's that butthurt because Frank is scoring and doing the things a real Captain is doing and David isn't, it's value time. Truth be told, we are at a development stage where these guys, save the newbies, aren't getting any better than they are now. You see their ceiling now, time to sell high.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Trade Backes. If he's that butthurt because Frank is scoring and doing the things a real Captain is doing and David isn't, it's value time. Truth be told, we are at a development stage where these guys, save the newbies, aren't getting any better than they are now. You see their ceiling now, time to sell high.
It's funny you should talk about the captaincy and today the P-D posted an article about Backes and lauding his abilities as captain. I've always been in Backes' corner as captain and when that story came out, I was curious if his was him being a leader or if it was hurt feelings. In the bold part below, he talks about that scuffle.

I do agree that the Backes, Steen, Oshie group have hit their ceiling and I'd be willing to sell high there. But Backes is the captain and it sounds like he does a lot of things behind closed doors that we don't see.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 12fe2.html

A captaincy in the NFL means calling “heads” or “tails” for a coin flip.

Most people probably don’t realize NBA teams have captains.

Most big-league baseball clubhouses don’t.

But in the NHL, heavy is the jersey that bears the “C.” In hockey, the letter stands for something more than “celebratory.”

That’s not to say there aren’t skippers of dubious distinction. Alex Ovechkin, captain of the Washington Capitals, was a minus-35 last season. Two NHL teams — Montreal and San Jose — are operating without a captain, preferring to govern by committee.

But in the minds of some, a credible captain is essential to a healthy dressing room.

“I’ve never seen a team have long-term success unless the captain sets the competitive direction of the hockey club,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “When you have a captain like that, it’s like gold.

“Your team becomes consistent in its performance, consistent in its attitude and the transition of players coming and going goes a lot smoother. If you don’t have that, it’s chaos.”

Taking charge

If you play hockey in St. Louis, if you sit in a Roomful of Blues, you don’t find chaos or confusion. You know what is expected and what is valued. You have detailed directions on how to proceed. And if for some reason you are not sure about which path is the best traveled, the captain will set you straight.

One way or another.

On Nov. 25, the Blues gave up a lead, skated to a regulation tie with Ottawa then lost in a shootout. In practice the following day, David Backes took to the sheet of ice the way a bull browses a china shop. He set the competitive direction.

When he was done hitting a restart button, he elected to conduct a “Feats of Strength” session with Vladimir Tarasenko. That would be the 23-year-old Tarasenko with the dazzling shifts and wicked shots, the team’s leading scorer and lamp-lighting talk of the league.

The press clippings didn’t matter. The captain was communicating and he wasn’t particular about who took the statement.

“It’s not always a verbal thing,” Backes said. “It’s a leading-by-example type of thing, mostly. There’s a culture that we expect around here every day. That whole day in practice — the thing with Vladdy aside — we had a day where we were going to practice and we were going to have a full day off the next day.

“Our practices had kind of fallen off a little bit. We were practicing at 60-70 percent, kind of sloppy and we needed to amp it up. We needed to make sure we weren’t out at practice just going through the motions, because our games were starting slide into that realm as well.

“We needed to kick it up a few notches. It wasn’t just me, there a few guys who took that initiative. Practice was great that day, a little fireworks at the end, but in the end I think we are a better team because of that day of practice.”

The madness was grounded in method. Two days later, the Blues beat the Oilers 4-3 with Tarasenko getting an overtime-winning goal. A night later, the Blues beat Minnesota, with Tarasenko and Backes collecting regulation goals and Tarasenko scoring the shootout winner.

The Tarasenko tussle was just part of the territory, a defibrillator shock to get the Blues back on track.

“When you have two competitive guys going at it, that’s what happens,” Backes explained. “A byproduct of practicing hard is you see it in the games, too. At the end of the day, when you can get through that as teammates, I think you’re closer than you might be if you never have that incident.”

Others are getting the compliments this season, Backes is getting stitches.

On Nov. 23, he took a high stick to the mouth. Last Monday, he took a slap shot in the face that turned that same mouth into a landfill. He lost teeth and collected more stitches.

Three nights later, he centered a line that scored three goals and added four assists in a victory over the Islanders. On Saturday, in a 3-2 overtime road victory over Colorado, Backes didn’t score but he and linemates T.J. Oshie and Alexander Steen continued to play well.

Additions such as Paul Stastny and Jori Lehtera created a stir, Tarasenko has soared and Martin Brodeur has grabbed headlines. Perhaps captain Backes has been pushed to the background. But make no mistake, he’s still the pulse of the Blues.

With seven goals and 13 points, he quietly has set course for another season of 25-30 goals. In his ninth full season with the Blues, the Minnesota native has put “self” aside and occasionally moved to the wing to accommodate roster changes. That’s to say nothing off the dental work he has endured.

At the age of 30, Backes is in his third term as the 20th captain of a franchise still searching for its first Stanley Cup. And he’s more important to the mission than ever.

“The part I like about David is that he’s a really good big-picture captain,” said Hitchcock, who accepted the job in November 2011 in part because of Backes’ leadership presence. “David fights for all of his teammates. He’s really a guy who is focused on where it’s going, not where it’s at.”

‘LEADS BY EXAMPLE’

Ryan Reaves knows a thing or two about fighting. Reaves, 27, has been with the parent club for five seasons now. He has learned to appreciate the way Backes goes about his business.

It’s not as flashy as others, not as glamorous or sophisticated. It usually happens in the trenches, not in the slot. But Backes scores big goals, makes himself accountable and sets the cultural tone for his teammates. He’s just gold.

“He’s vocal when he needs to be, but more than anything else he leads by example,” Reaves said. “You see in a game when something’s not going right, he’ll be running around, trying get the boys going. And when it needs to be done in practice, he does the same thing.

“He leads by example. That’s what a good captain does.”

The good captain is aware of his surroundings. Backes was on a team that finished with 79 points in 2007-08 and played on team that collected 111 points last season. He never has played on a team like this one.

“This is the most talented team I’ve been on, for sure,” Backes said. “Is it the best team? When you have selfless acts by each player, no matter what the situation is, when each is playing for the greater good of the group rather than your own merits … When you see that, that’s when a team can have great success. That’s what we’re building for.”

Regardless of who scores the goals, makes the saves, tosses the T-shirts, there’s no question who the foreman is on this build. He’s the guy wearing the “C.”

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm happy to see that incident explained more. I was hoping and mostly assuming it was just him sending a message to the team, but hadn't really heard that yet.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:IMO, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen and Pietro are about the only untouchables on this team.
I'd trade Petro. We'd get a shit ton in return...and he hasn't been as good as advertised.

Don't get me wrong, he has been good. But he makes too many dumb mistakes to be considered an elite untouchable player. Granted, his best days should still be ahead of him...but if we are going to get a nice package of players for him, which we would... yes, I I'd certainly listen to any offers. But we'd have to get a lot in return...which we would.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:IMO, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Allen and Pietro are about the only untouchables on this team.
I'd trade Petro. We'd get a shit ton in return...and he hasn't been as good as advertised.

Don't get me wrong, he has been good. But he makes too many dumb mistakes to be considered an elite untouchable player. Granted, his best days should still be ahead of him...but if we are going to get a nice package of players for him, which we would... yes, I I'd certainly listen to any offers. But we'd have to get a lot in return...which we would.
I could get on board with him not being untouchable. He hasn't played at a Norris level yet. But, I would be really hesitant to move a major piece mid-season when we have Cup aspirations. I'm not sure getting more than we give up would make it an automatic yes for me with moving him.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I agree with Backes that this is the most talented team the Blues have had in recent memory.

We'll see some playoff time what the boys got. That's always the question.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

For those contemplating trading Pietrangelo, consider the point made by an article I read recently: he gets all the tough 5v5 matchups and Shatty gets most of the power plays on the point opposite Steen. Frankly, I don't think we'd get back anything that would actually improve this team. Is Weber or Chara available? Rask, Rinne or Quick? No? What about Toews or Kane? I sure wouldn't trade him for, say, Taylor Hall. Nope. That would be a downgrade, trading a top-2 dman for (maybe) a second-liner.

Let me reframe this: who do you guys think the Blues could acquire who would improve this squad? How would they improve it? I see an impasse there personally as the only thing that would really improve this team for me would be a premier 2-way Dman. None of those are available right now. A more productive fourth line would be nice but nobody significant needs to be moved for that.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:For those contemplating trading Pietrangelo, consider the point made by an article I read recently: he gets all the tough 5v5 matchups and Shatty gets most of the power plays on the point opposite Steen. Frankly, I don't think we'd get back anything that would actually improve this team. Is Weber or Chara available? Rask, Rinne or Quick? No? What about Toews or Kane? I sure wouldn't trade him for, say, Taylor Hall. Nope. That would be a downgrade, trading a top-2 dman for (maybe) a second-liner.

Let me reframe this: who do you guys think the Blues could acquire who would improve this squad? How would they improve it? I see an impasse there personally as the only thing that would really improve this team for me would be a premier 2-way Dman. None of those are available right now. A more productive fourth line would be nice but nobody significant needs to be moved for that.
First, let me say that I am not saying we should trade him. But I would seriously consider trading him if we got a great offer that made us significantly better, mainly because I think Petro is a bit overrated. Like I said before, he can look great out there...but he can also look pretty bad more times than I care to see during the course of a game. He is billed as a norris-type player...and he's not even close to that right now. Will he be one day? Maybe. I just expect more of him right now.

I don't think we need goaltending. Elliot is an elite goalie, even though for some insane reason he isn't widely thought of as one. Allen is an adequate backup and possible future elite. Brodeur will go away when Elliott returns...we assume.
I don't think we need much as far as scoring forwards go. I think this group will be just fine as the season goes on. But you can never have enough offense in the playoffs.
And I agree. A premiere 2-way defenseman would be a great acquisition...but that is what Petro is supposed to be...sort of. True, there is nothing like that available right now...but to be fair, very few elite players are available this time of the year anyway. But closer to the trade deadline...you never know.

I'd be perfectly happy keeping Petro as I think he'll get better as most defenseman do when they approach 30 years old. But his name just pops to my mind when I think of valuable assets that we have that I would consider trading because of the return we would get. I think we could legitimately get more than what he is really worth, and from a business standpoint, it would be smart to move anyone in that situation.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Say we went the other way and instead of trading top six, we traded smaller bits for improved depth, where would we feasibly start? I look at Boston's roster and I don't quite see what we could get that would be worth swapping out players like Bergy or Ott for.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

instead of a trade, why not just dump Lapierre and Pajaarvi. Bring up someone capable of actually handling the puck. And see what happens. It would be just like making a trade without actually trading anyone ;)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season