GDT #25: 12/3/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: GDT #25: 12/3/14 | 7:00PM CST | @ Blackhawks | NBCSN/KMO

Post by Kerfuffle »

Just got back from the game - I thought we got lucky in the first 5 minutes of the game as Raanta was really slow and you guys have some wide open looks. This game could have been 3-0 St. Louis from the start. Raanta looks like a stud from a save percentage tonight but in all fairness he escaped a pounding. I'm not a big Raanta fan as you can tell.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Not going to get a cup if we can't beat Chicago. And we can't.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Kerfuffle wrote:Just got back from the game - I thought we got lucky in the first 5 minutes of the game as Raanta was really slow and you guys have some wide open looks. This game could have been 3-0 St. Louis from the start. Raanta looks like a stud from a save percentage tonight but in all fairness he escaped a pounding. I'm not a big Raanta fan as you can tell.
Hawks can suck a dick.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Kerfuffle wrote:I'm going to the game tonight - first home game in over 2 weeks.
Did Kane really get the crowd going? He undressed Jackman like he was a pee wee player! Kane was the difference tonight and ANY hockey fan will tell you that.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
Kerfuffle wrote:I'm going to the game tonight - first home game in over 2 weeks.
Did Kane really get the crowd going? He undressed Jackman like he was a pee wee player! Kane was the difference tonight and ANY hockey fan will tell you that.
You can suck a dick, too. Or suck Kane's.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

With the Hawks being the bar that we need to meet and exceed past to take the next step, the big question, after a game where we can start things up and make some things happen we fall apart at the last minute, is how is the team going to respond to this. Cole, Bergy and Ott showed up. This should be embarassing to the front line players, especially with Backes conduct on the ice (screw getting revenge, win the damn game, although seeing him on Seabrook did make the loss worth it but that's not the point here! >.>). I just hope the team rises above this and this doesn't set a glass ceiling for them. We can beat the Hawks.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Sounds like Tarasenko's head was trying to bully Rozsival's elbow. God, the Blues are such a mean team.

I turned the game off after the Hawk's 4th goal. Just disgusting. Not Jake's sharpest game, to be sure, but in all fairness, not anyone's sharpest game. I'm thinking we see Brodeur against Nashville. Like Kerfuffle said, we had the Hawks on the ropes early on, and I just had a feeling those hit crossbars and lack of converting on the PP would set the tone of the whole rest of the game.

But more than that, what really sticks out to me is our lack of ability to take control of a game when we need to. We just don't have that feeling of being able to direct a game, which if we're going to go deep this year as we all expect, we need to find out how to do.

Maybe what this team needs is a good top offensive catalyst, maybe a Paul Stastny-type player. Anyone know if he is available?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

KrustyKevo wrote:Not going to get a cup if we can't beat Chicago. And we can't.
We beat them earlier this year. 1-1 on the season. I get your point, but I want to see how this year plays out. It was a bad game and I agree, we've gotta go through Chicago (and LA) if we want to win a Cup. But we've still got some games left with Chicago. I'm hoping to see improvement next time around.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

gaijin wrote:I'm thinking we see Brodeur against Nashville.
Hitch confirmed after the game that Marty does get the start tonight.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

KrustyKevo wrote:Not going to get a cup if we can't beat Chicago. And we can't.
Except for the game before this one, we beat them 3-2. So...

The Blues had a bad game. Plain and simple.
They got off to a really good start, controlled play for the first 12 minutes of the game, hit two posts, Ott destroyed Shaw on a great/legal hit (not sure what Shaw was bitching about...he got his bell rung...guess he was just whining like usual. I hate that asshat), and we blew a number of great scoring chances, had a couple power plays...but no goals.
That killed us right there. Not getting a goal early, when we could have easily had a couple, kind of sealed our fate, because you knew Chicago was going to come on at some point.

Chicago made some adjustments and then for some reason we all of a sudden couldn't play. I'll give Chicago credit for cranking up the play, but they had nothing to do with our bad outlet passes and bad passes through the neutral zone that weren't connecting which turned the puck right over. That happened constantly and just allowed Chicago to come right back at us over and over...and then it was just a matter of time.

After the first 12 minutes, I think this might have been our worst performance of the season. We just weren't good at all.

Allen wasn't great either. He made some nice saves, but in big games like that, he has to come up big on some of those goals to pick up the team in front of him, and he didn't.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

Not scoring on all the power play chances you guys had was the differentiator in this game. The first call was a gift too (the high sticking call on Hjalmarrson) - I was there and saw it live and the replays and the stick never touched the face of the Blues player. But refs are human. And with Raanta being shaky early on that was a prime opportunity missed.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:Not scoring on all the power play chances you guys had was the differentiator in this game. The first call was a gift too (the high sticking call on Hjalmarrson) - I was there and saw it live and the replays and the stick never touched the face of the Blues player. But refs are human. And with Raanta being shaky early on that was a prime opportunity missed.
That was definitely a bad call and missed opportunity. I think there was more to the loss than the PP though. You guys took over the game and really controlled most of the action after our quick start. If we could have converted a PP or 2 and/or found the net instead of the post, we might have salvaged something. But, even still, we'd be talking about how we stole a point or two while not playing well.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Chicago's structure on the ice looked amazing in the third period. They were just playing as a five-man unit and turning up the ice off turn overs. It was pretty, and you can see why they have won cups.

By contrast, the Blues don't look like they understand where they are supposed to be or who is doing what. They were frequently out of position and paid for it repeatedly. They looked flat and defeated at the start of the third. Watching instead of skating; no starts and stops, just circling or standing still.

They still look like a team waiting for someone to step up and make a play - but that's not how this works. Pie had a nice rush, but seemed like everyone else was lost about what to do when he pinched in and walked around the defense - and the puck went in the back of our net the other way when no one took his place to maintain the form.

I'm just tired of this team giving up and abandoning the things that make them successful. Hitch's system is successful, but the team has to commit to playing it all the time. IDK if Hitch's voice is getting stale or if there's something bigger here.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Forgive my anger last night. I was more than a few beers in. But yeah, as it stands right now, I don't see this blues team beating Chicago in a series. Chicago seems to be so much faster, and they always seem to get into the heads of our players. I'm still so very disappointed over this game. These are pretty much playoff measuring stick games.

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

Maybe, just maybe, if Ott can check Toews in the head (Seabrook-Backes style) we might be able to take a playoff series.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

KrustyKevo wrote:Maybe, just maybe, if Ott can check Toews in the head (Seabrook Backes es style) we might be able to take a playoff series.
Then Ott takes a 5 minute major and the Hawks score 2 goals on the ensuing PP. The Blues need to be smart not stupid. Obviously they need the talent too. Read the comments on the PD forum and the consensus is the Blues have no one as talented as Kane or Toews.

Drafting EJ instead of Toews could haunt the Blues for over a decade!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Drafting EJ instead of Toews could haunt the Blues for over a decade!
It practically has. That was 8 years ago.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Anyone else starting to get worried about Allen and wondering if he's really ready for this level? Over his last eight games, he sports a .894 SV% that drops to .882 if you take out the great performance against Minn. He's allowed 3 or 4 goals in five of those eight games and allowed 2 on 17 shots in another (and 3 on 16 in the following game). I felt like he could have positioned himself better on a couple of the goals, specifically Kane's first and Versteeg's is exactly why I don't like his "down-all-the-time" stance. If he's on his feet there, he can get to it with his glove without having to raise it over his head-much easier save to make. Right now he looks like he needs more refinement. Those two goals broke the game. Can't really blame Berglund for not covering perfectly for Pietrangelo who rightly was trying to make something happen in a game that was getting out of hand. That last goal is a product of the fact that the Blues were 3-1 down in the 3rd.

Here's hoping Elliott's injury isn't serious.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
KrustyKevo wrote:Maybe, just maybe, if Ott can check Toews in the head (Seabrook Backes es style) we might be able to take a playoff series.
Then Ott takes a 5 minute major and the Hawks score 2 goals on the ensuing PP. The Blues need to be smart not stupid. Obviously they need the talent too. Read the comments on the PD forum and the consensus is the Blues have no one as talented as Kane or Toews.

Drafting EJ instead of Toews could haunt the Blues for over a decade!
For the love of Christ, can you stop ending every sentence in an exclamation mark!?!

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

KrustyKevo wrote:Forgive my anger last night. I was more than a few beers in. But yeah, as it stands right now, I don't see this blues team beating Chicago in a series. Chicago seems to be so much faster, and they always seem to get into the heads of our players. I'm still so very disappointed over this game. These are pretty much playoff measuring stick games.
Dude, it was one game...and it was in their building.

We didn't have our #1 goalie (granted neither did they...but Raanta played far better than Allen so...) nor did we have Bo. They didn't have Sharp either...but still.

And again, we played well against them in the previous game and won 3-2. So, again...yes, we sucked for most of this game...but it's still one game. We looked very "off" and Chicago got better as the game went on...we got worse it seemed.

But yeah... one game. I'm pissed about it and it was very frustrating to watch...but we play them a few more times so...
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/