Parise: Blues 'bully you around'

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Parise: Blues 'bully you around'

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:A $2,755.38 fine.

Why even bother?

This league. Sheesh.
Because if they didn't, Blues fans would be whining about how he didn't get anything and crying about how the league hates us (when really they're just inept from top to bottom when it comes to officiating and discipline).

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Why even bother?
To put on record that the next time, he isn't a first-time offender. I've never heard of this kid having a reputation for being dirty. No need to suspend everyone who gets a bit overzealous. Next time (if there is one), it's a pattern and he'll sit and lose more money. (Not that anyone here didn't already know this.)

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:

Why even bother?
To put on record that the next time, he isn't a first-time offender. I've never heard of this kid having a reputation for being dirty. No need to suspend everyone who gets a bit overzealous. Next time (if there is one), it's a pattern and he'll sit and lose more money. (Not that anyone here didn't already know this.)
I'm not saying he should have been suspended. I'm saying the max fine for a first offense is a joke.
A $2,755 fine is absolutely nothing to an NHL player. It means zip.

The minimum fine should be like $10k. That's still not very much to them, but to someone making the league minimum, they'd probably notice it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

Why even bother?
I'm not saying he should have been suspended. I'm saying the max fine for a first offense is a joke.
A $2,755 fine is absolutely nothing to an NHL player. It means zip.

The minimum fine should be like $10k. That's still not very much to them, but to someone making the league minimum, they'd probably notice it.
True-it's a paltry fine (though eye-opening that 1/2 a day for him isn't that far off a month for me). This is part of the knock-on effect of the current administration's intense bungling empowering the PA.

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

I get what he's saying - cause you guys are a physical team and play a very physical game - more so than any other team in the NHL in my opinion. For the past 5-6 years the games between our 2 teams always seem to have a lot of skirmishes (or 'kerfuffles' - hence my name btw) on the ice. Usually we don't have fights cause we don't have fighters. But when we play you guys it reminds me of the games we had to face Tony Twist 20 years ago which always resulted in a fight between him and Probert.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Kerfuffle wrote:I get what he's saying - cause you guys are a physical team and play a very physical game - more so than any other team in the NHL in my opinion. For the past 5-6 years the games between our 2 teams always seem to have a lot of skirmishes (or 'kerfuffles' - hence my name btw) on the ice. Usually we don't have fights cause we don't have fighters. But when we play you guys it reminds me of the games we had to face Tony Twist 20 years ago which always resulted in a fight between him and Probert.
I think LA plays a much more physical game. Anaheim too.
Don't get me wrong...we're up there near the top...but in the physicallity department, it always seems like we have trouble with LA and Anaheim.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:I get what he's saying - cause you guys are a physical team and play a very physical game - more so than any other team in the NHL in my opinion. For the past 5-6 years the games between our 2 teams always seem to have a lot of skirmishes (or 'kerfuffles' - hence my name btw) on the ice. Usually we don't have fights cause we don't have fighters. But when we play you guys it reminds me of the games we had to face Tony Twist 20 years ago which always resulted in a fight between him and Probert.
That's part of it, but he was definitely whining about it. There's nothing wrong with being physical.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:There's nothing wrong with being physical.
Absolutely-I'd take it as a compliment if someone said this about my team.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I'm starting to think Parise is just a whiner in general. Now fans booing the team is too mean.

LINK
Parise: Booing Wild's bad power play doesn't help

The Wild winger says booing by fans increases the players’ level of frustration.

The Wild knows its power play stinks like rotten fish in an unmonitored landfill. And it doesn’t deny that its paying customers have every right to boo lustily when players put forth a convoluted display like they did during a five-minute major Wednesday against Montreal.

But, Zach Parise said Thursday, “It doesn’t help.”

The Wild winger is not ripping the fans.

“Sometimes we feel like booing ourselves, it’s that bad, so I can’t disagree with them,” Parise said, laughing.

But the Wild is trying hard to repair the one thing coach Mike Yeo says is keeping it from becoming an elite team.

But with players already confused, flustered and lacking confidence on the power play, trying to make a play with 18,000 fans booing in a game the Wild led 2-0 wasn’t easy.

Players seemed paralyzed, quickly tossing the puck to teammates as if to say, “Here, it’s your problem.”

So Parise and the rest of the Wild are just asking for a little latitude.

“They’re frustrated, and I understand that,” Parise said of the fans. “And they have a right to be frustrated. We’re frustrated, and then when we get booed, we get more frustrated, and then it snowballs.”

All teams go through tough power-play stretches. Friday’s opponent, the Western Conference-leading Anaheim Ducks, stopped an 0-for-19 drought Wednesday. Central Division-leading Nashville is 1-for-41 at home; at least the Wild’s clicking at 16.7 percent at home and saves its really, really lousy power plays for the road.

The Wild is 7-2-1 in its past 10 games and has actually outscored teams on power plays 5-2 in that stretch, but power-play problems have been a season-long issue. The focus during a long session in Tuesday’s practice was more movement, more shots on net and one minor personnel tweak with Mikael Granlund moving to the first unit and Thomas Vanek to the second.

The laundry list of things to remedy though seems overwhelming.

“We don’t shoot,” said Parise, who had 14 power-play goals last season and has just one this season. “We’ve got to take some shots, and we need a guy in front of the net. It feels like when we do finally get a shot, there’s no one in front of the net. It’s an easy save. It’s not just one thing. It’s a lot of things that are happening. It’s hard to just pinpoint, ‘This is what we’re doing wrong,’ because there’s a lot of things that we do wrong that just accumulate and doesn’t work.

“We’re not moving it around crisp, we’re not setting each other up, so a lot of times when we do have an opening, we don’t put it in a guy’s wheelhouse. We throw it in the skates, we throw it behind them. … It’s a lot of things. And then the frustration creeps in and then you end up where you are right now.”

And that frustration has led to a lack of confidence that doesn’t improve with jeers.

“There’s a lot of things you have to overcome, there’s a lot of difficulties that are faced that don’t involve X’s and O’s, that don’t involve things that you can just draw up on a board,” Yeo said. “You’re talking about confidence, you’re talking about even anxiety, things that can get in your way and inhibit the things that make you successful.”

The good news is the Wild, thanks to quality 5-on-5 play and the league’s second-best penalty kill, has so far survived the crummy power play.

“If we were playing terrible hockey and losing games, but we had a good power play, what’s the good in that?” Parise said. “Once we get the power play going, which we will, then we’re going to be really dangerous. But right now it’s not working. It hasn’t worked. But it’s fixable. That’s the good thing. It’s very fixable.”
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Better idea: Instead of a solid dollar amount, make it a percentage of what you're making that year. That way it won't matter if you're making 900k or 900m, it's going to be a big bite.

First offenders are fined 10%
Second time 25%

And so on.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Better idea: Instead of a solid dollar amount, make it a percentage of what you're making that year. That way it won't matter if you're making 900k or 900m, it's going to be a big bite.

First offenders are fined 10%
Second time 25%

And so on.
I could probably get on board with that. Those percentages are way high though.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen