Tarasenko... Most dynamic goal scorer we've ever had?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tarasenko... Most dynamic goal scorer we've ever had?

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Hull got on the cover of Sports Illustrated and went on Late Night with David Letterman more than once. Tank won't get on the cover of SI unless the Blues go to the Cup and he is a major force in the Cup run. LOL..can't see Tank on Late Night TV. In Russia but not here.
That has nothing to do with the thread...but thanks.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I'm not ready to put him up that high, but he's certainly having a banner year. I will wait for more track record before making "most dynamic" decision.

The line reminds me of the Demitra/Handzus/Bartecko line that dominated in the year we won the Pres Trophy tho...
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

[youtube][/youtube]

Get back to me when Tank does this! 50 goals in 50 games in back to back seasons! 70 goals in 3 CONSECUTIVE seasons! Only Gretzky and Hull have done that! Not even Super Mario! Sorry but Tank is no Hull or Gretzky and won't ever be in their class!

I think some of you forget how amazing Hull was. We'll never see another like him even if was kind of a dough boy and not exactly a paragon of fitness...LOL!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

JNE - You can't hold up those eye popping goal numbers from those years as comparison. While I won't take away from Brett's ability or HoF career, the goalies SUCKED in that era. The evolution of the game, whether through larger goalie gear or improved technique or stronger defensive systems and faster, bigger athletes, means that Hull might not have had nearly as much success in the current NHL. You just cant use numbers across years. Hull didn't have nearly the skating and hands, but his shot was epic. Hull was a lazy cherry-picker for most of his career. Hull scored 926 pts in 11 years with STL and was still -16.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

He's the only scorer in my 30-odd years of watching the Blues that comes close to Hull. He has the same crazy quick release and uncanny ability to find space. There was a goal he scored recently, trying to remember who it was against (Nashville, maybe?) but it was so cerebral-stayed on the opposite side of the zone from the play out of his defender's field of vision, loops around behind him and arrives completely untended in the left faceoff circle to slam home a one-timer. Hull did that stuff, and he did it for years-still to be seen if #91 can do that. But in terms of overall skill, there's no comparison-Tarasenko is the most complete hockey player of all the elite scorers that Blues have had in my lifetime.

I honestly think he may be the best player of his generation in the world. Obviously, one has to wait and see on that sort of thing but I really do mean it.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

Get back to me when Tank does this! 50 goals in 50 games in back to back seasons! 70 goals in 3 CONSECUTIVE seasons! Only Gretzky and Hull have done that! Not even Super Mario! Sorry but Tank is no Hull or Gretzky and won't ever be in their class!

I think some of you forget how amazing Hull was. We'll never see another like him even if was kind of a dough boy and not exactly a paragon of fitness...LOL!
I'm not talking about sheer number of goals scored. I'm talking about how dynamic of a goal scorer Tarasenko is and how we have NEVER...EVER, had someone like him.

Hull was one of the best goal scorers in NHL history and he is one of my favorite players ...but with that said, he wasn't great on breakaways and he wasn't great one on one. Hull was a master at getting open and finding that seam on the ice and then ripping it when he received the pass. His shot was quick and it was accurate, but a good chunk of his game relied on others feeding him the puck. He usually didn't create those opportunities. Hull wasn't the best when he had to stickhandle or do things himself. Hull also didn't play a physical game, which Tarasenko is more than willing to do.

The video you posted just backs up my point. In about every one of those goals, someone passed him the puck in which he then one-timed and scored. There was a breakaway goal and the cup clincher for Dallas...the rest were one-timers.

Tarasenko excels where Hull didn't. Frank can walk around a few guys and then school a goalie, plus he has the quick hard release.

That's not a knock on Hull... but it is what it is.

And Gretzky was past his prime when he was here. He was still a good/great player, but I'd take Tarasenko right now over the version of Gretzky we had for that short time... anybody in their right mind would as well. Besides, I doubt Tarasenko would be lazy on the puck in the neutral zone vs. Yzerman in 2OT.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Ok, I admit you guys have some good points but why do you call Tarasenko Frank??

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ok, I admit you guys have some good points but why do you call Tarasenko Frank??
Frank the Tank...it's from a movie Old School.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Ok, I admit you guys have some good points but why do you call Tarasenko Frank??
Because it's his nickname? That and Vova. We wouldn't expect you to know that though, hawk.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:
Because it's his nickname? That and Vova. We wouldn't expect you to know that though, hawk.
It's not in a book yet. And they don't talk about that on TV in Chicago.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

He's a huge Stallone fan.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

STLADOGG wrote:
Frank the Tank...it's from a movie Old School.
When you're old enough, ask your mom if you can watch it.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I forget who said it after our playoff loss last season but a commentator was raving on Tarasenko as being, in many ways, the best player on the ice for us during the playoffs, and he said it best: "When Tarasenko shoots... it just. goes. in."

Some guys just have "it." The uncanny ability to finish, to pick spots and score goals and clearly we unearthed an absolute gem and a steal with the 16th overall pick. We kept b*tching and whining on this board forever and eternity for an elite goal scorer who could finish... well it appears we have one now. I think we obviously need to give him a lot more time before we start throwing out the Hull comparisons but if he keeps developing and avoids the injury bug, there's no reason in my mind that he can't.

I'm beyond ecstatic for this kid. The only bad thing is that the expectations for him (and quite frankly his entire line of Lehtera and Schwartz) have gone through the freakin roof. Which inevitably leads to complaints when he has "only" a 25 goal season one year, etc.

But man oh man it feels good to have a guy like him in the lineup who's a completely legitimate threat to score each and every time he is on the ice.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Anyone who has the balls to say in so many words that Frank sucks, is not a Blues fan.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

dmiles2186 wrote:
He's a huge Stallone fan.

Who isn't!?

:lol:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Hull was a beast, yes. He could get open and shoot like a motherf*****er. Tarasenko is just more skilled. Time will tell.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

You see the difference between Tank and Hull? You know Hull in his prime would've blasted one into the net eventhough they lost to the Hawks tonight. I didn't notice Tank much tonight but Hull always made you notice he was there!

I even recall the great Dan Kelly saying of Hull: "You hear his shot but you can't see it!".

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Hull, Hull, Hull, screw Hull. Given the choices, I'd rather have Chopper.

Chopper's the Death Star and ANY goalie in the league is Alderran.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:You see the difference between Tank and Hull? You know Hull in his prime would've blasted one into the net eventhough they lost to the Hawks tonight. I didn't notice Tank much tonight but Hull always made you notice he was there!
I think you're way off base here, dude. Now take a guy like Roman Vopat. I ALWAYS noticed him. The name, "Vopat"... it just captures your attention much more than "Hull," which is really boring. I also always notice guys with long hair. Once Hull cut his golden flowing locks he became invisible to me. Did I get great pleasure looking at his early Blues hockey cards several times per week? Of course, because he had that really hot and awesome Bryan Adams thing going. During games I never noticed him.

The flowing blond hair (hence "The Golden Brett; his father Bobby Hull was "The Golden Jet"), the charisma... look at that expression on his face! that's a man ready for action, my friend!:

Bryan Adams, singer (from Canada too! That's some IRONY!):

Dude, check out "Hockey Hunks." There is plenty to notice there... YUMMY!:

http://ihearthockeyhunks.blogspot.com/

Hull is an old fatass now. Yuck:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Well that wasn't cool. :facepalm:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO