Tarasenko... Most dynamic goal scorer we've ever had?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: Tarasenko... Most dynamic goal scorer we've ever had?

Post by SteveO »

I wonder if we'll see any apparations in the Tarasenko area.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Maybe I'm turning into kodos here, but ultimately, this is the Blues we're talking about. 47 years and no Cups. Throughout the team's history, we've had some periods of incredible goaltending, incredible defense, incredible offensive players... and no Cups.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this Tarasenko train as much as anyone, and I'm thrilled as hell. It may very well be he is our most dynamic offensive player ever- I'm very close to unequivocally agreeing with that statement. But still, to date- no Cups.

If we don't go over the top, what good is it that Tarasenko is our most dynamic offensive player ever? Maybe I've just gotten my hopes dashed one too many times that it's turned me into a pessimist, but I'm sure the team will find a way to piss away any of Tarasenko's potential record achievements this season with a playoff loss to CHI, LA, or (God forbid) Nashville.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

gaijin wrote:Maybe I'm turning into kodos here, but ultimately, this is the Blues we're talking about. 47 years and no Cups. Throughout the team's history, we've had some periods of incredible goaltending, incredible defense, incredible offensive players... and no Cups.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this Tarasenko train as much as anyone, and I'm thrilled as hell. It may very well be he is our most dynamic offensive player ever- I'm very close to unequivocally agreeing with that statement. But still, to date- no Cups.

If we don't go over the top, what good is it that Tarasenko is our most dynamic offensive player ever? Maybe I've just gotten my hopes dashed one too many times that it's turned me into a pessimist, but I'm sure the team will find a way to piss away any of Tarasenko's potential record achievements this season with a playoff loss to CHI, LA, or (God forbid) Nashville.
I hear you man. I keep saying this season is very tedious for me because I can't evaluate this team's performance in any meaningful way until I see what they can do in the playoffs.

As for what good #91 is though, that's simple. Entertainment. Plus, it's pretty cool to have a player on the Blues who other hockey fans here in NYC (and there are lots of those here) bring up and ask about. That hasn't happened during my previous 10 years here, well except for Oshie after that shootout.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The one thing that I'm really loving is how the rest of the team is chipping in, too. It's not just the Frank The Tank Show. Watching the game against the Kings last night made me realize that we have turned the corner in the sense that we are responding to adversity by scoring goals instead of giving up. Granted, it's later in the game, but we're starting to see that extra gear that we've been missing. Something got added in, I don't know if it's Lehtera or a new attitude or even Butler, but this team shows its claws more. I have waited years to see us go over the top on the Kings like we did last night after suffering a setback. Zebras hated us. The team didn't give up. I think we're almost there. Cut some driftwood and fine-tune this beast.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Oaklandblue wrote:The one thing that I'm really loving is how the rest of the team is chipping in, too. It's not just the Frank The Tank Show. Watching the game against the Kings last night made me realize that we have turned the corner in the sense that we are responding to adversity by scoring goals instead of giving up. Granted, it's later in the game, but we're starting to see that extra gear that we've been missing. Something got added in, I don't know if it's Lehtera or a new attitude or even Butler, but this team shows its claws more. I have waited years to see us go over the top on the Kings like we did last night after suffering a setback. Zebras hated us. The team didn't give up. I think we're almost there. Cut some driftwood and fine-tune this beast.
After the Backes - Tarasenko scuffle in practice... they have played noticeably better.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

cprice12 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:The one thing that I'm really loving is how the rest of the team is chipping in, too. It's not just the Frank The Tank Show. Watching the game against the Kings last night made me realize that we have turned the corner in the sense that we are responding to adversity by scoring goals instead of giving up. Granted, it's later in the game, but we're starting to see that extra gear that we've been missing. Something got added in, I don't know if it's Lehtera or a new attitude or even Butler, but this team shows its claws more. I have waited years to see us go over the top on the Kings like we did last night after suffering a setback. Zebras hated us. The team didn't give up. I think we're almost there. Cut some driftwood and fine-tune this beast.
After the Backes - Tarasenko scuffle in practice... they have played noticeably better.
If that's what did it, I hope they fight constantly :) :okman:
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Extra gear is key here. They exploded in the third last night, and I said to my buddy, "that's the same shit LA and Chicago have been doing to us for years - getting an opportunity and taking it to blow open a close game."

The stats after the second period showed more shots for LA, but more scoring chances for the Blues. It's a matter of converting those chances.

Tarasenko can finish with the best of them, but it's really how much he creates out of nothing that makes him so dynamic, imo. The second goal was a thing of beauty - from the deke to the placement. Quick had zero chance; he was flat owned by that shot.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Extra gear is key here. They exploded in the third last night, and I said to my buddy, "that's the same shit LA and Chicago have been doing to us for years - getting an opportunity and taking it to blow open a close game."

The stats after the second period showed more shots for LA, but more scoring chances for the Blues. It's a matter of converting those chances.

Tarasenko can finish with the best of them, but it's really how much he creates out of nothing that makes him so dynamic, imo. The second goal was a thing of beauty - from the deke to the placement. Quick had zero chance; he was flat owned by that shot.
His first goal was beautiful as well. He received that pass from Ott, took a stride and let a quick lazer go from the top of circles that smoked Quick upper glove. How quick he got off that shot and the power behind it was unreal.

I see they gave the 2nd goal to Schwartz. I could tell it went off of his stick in front of the net, but JK and Panger didn't catch that....even after a half dozen replays. :?

And Steen's goal to essentially ice the game was another beauty. The way he lunged forward to corral that puck with his skate, then glided into the puck and let go a hard shot go that I'm sure Quick was partially screened on as his D-man tried to play goalie in front of him. That goal was fun to watch.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:
gaijin wrote:Maybe I'm turning into kodos here, but ultimately, this is the Blues we're talking about. 47 years and no Cups. Throughout the team's history, we've had some periods of incredible goaltending, incredible defense, incredible offensive players... and no Cups.

I hear you man. I keep saying this season is very tedious for me because I can't evaluate this team's performance in any meaningful way until I see what they can do in the playoffs.

As for what good #91 is though, that's simple. Entertainment. Plus, it's pretty cool to have a player on the Blues who other hockey fans here in NYC (and there are lots of those here) bring up and ask about. That hasn't happened during my previous 10 years here, well except for Oshie after that shootout.
What the hell, you live in NYC? I thought I was the only New Yorker on here! I've been trying for years to round up local Blues fans so I have someone to talk to other than my Ranger (mostly) and Islander fan neighbors.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

cprice12 wrote:
Makes you wonder who started and won that, huh...
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If you consider how we ended up with Tarasenko, it's unfathomable how lucky the team got. Effectively they dumped a failed defender in David Rundblad who's bounced to other teams and is lately a healthy scratch on Shitcago for a guy who could easily be a 100 point per season player. And the best part is we didn't have to surrender a lifetimes worth of 1st round picks to Ottawa in compensation for ripping them off.

Meanwhile, Ivan Barbashev somehow falls to the Blues in round two, and he could be every bit as good as Tarasenko if they play his development right. Two separate lines highlighted by young, dynamic Russian forwards would give fits to every opponent, every night. I feel like something has to go horribly wrong, because the way this is shaping up for the Blues is very un-Blues like.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm not singling you out, but I hate this mentality. I'm with you in that this team can't fully be judged until the dust has settled on the playoffs. But to just lump this team in with the 46 that have failed before it? It does no good. And what if, when they finally hoist that beautiful trophy, I've had a negative mindset all year up until that moment? You can't savor it. You can't enjoy it.

Ultimately, this team may slip on the banana peel as they do every year, but until then, this team has as good a chance as the other 29 to make that run. LA was in the same boat as us...until they weren't. Chicago was for 49 years...until they weren't.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

And that's why these next several years are crucial.

Every team we've previously faced in the playoffs presented matchup problems because our top line was never as good/didn't steal us any goals, as much as the top line we were facing (a la Kane/Toews/Hossa or Kopitar/Carter, etc).

Now we do. Tarasenko is that guy that I feel you have to have to contend for a cup. A guy who can finish, who can score against any matchup the other team can put against him. Every team who's won a cup in the last decade had a guy or 2 or 3 who just finished and at critical times. That's why I think now it's different.

Tarasenko just stared to come into his own in the playoffs last season and this year I'm thinking he's arrived/shortly will.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

The Kings were all over him last night. Extra shoves, jawing at him, really focused on not letting him beat them.

He needs to figure out how to respond and keep scoring...and someone else needs to pick up some slack and pot more goals too.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:

Every team we've previously faced in the playoffs presented matchup problems because our top line was never as good/didn't steal us any goals, as much as the top line we were facing (a la Kane/Toews/Hossa or Kopitar/Carter, etc).

Now we do. Tarasenko is that guy that I feel you have to have to contend for a cup. A guy who can finish, who can score against any matchup the other team can put against him. Every team who's won a cup in the last decade had a guy or 2 or 3 who just finished and at critical times. That's why I think now it's different.

Tarasenko just stared to come into his own in the playoffs last season and this year I'm thinking he's arrived/shortly will.
I hope "Shortly will" is it. If he hasn't fully arrived yet, look out.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:

Completely agree. In the past, it's always felt like we've dominated most of the action against some really good teams, but if we made a small mistake, they had a guy or two that would take advantage and score a goal to make the puck domination irrelevant. I feel like we have that guy now.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

Hmmmm,

Timely goals and "highlight reel" goals ... let's see about how many Playoff GWGs he can rack up ... 16 would be AWESOME in the same playoff season!

:okman:
Mark P