Eric Brewer traded to the Ducks

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Eric Brewer traded to the Ducks

Post by ViPeRx007 »

for a 3rd rounder in 2015.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=741400&navid=nhl:topheads
The Anaheim Ducks on Friday acquired defenseman Eric Brewer from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for a third-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft and placed defensemen Clayton Stoner and Francois Beauchemin on injured reserve.

Stoner initially came down with symptoms last week and is the third Ducks player to get mumps this month after right wing Corey Perry and Beauchemin.

Beauchemin will miss 4-6 weeks with a broken finger. Beauchemin appeared to block a shot with his hand Tuesday against the Calgary Flames.

Brewer, a veteran of 982 NHL games, has four assists in 17 games this season for the Lightning.

Brewer, the No. 5 pick in the 1997 draft by the New York Islanders, has 74 goals and 264 points with the Islanders, Edmonton Oilers, St. Louis Blues and Lightning.

Defenseman Jesse Blacker was recalled from the American Hockey League and made his NHL debut Friday against the Chicago Blackhawks. The Ducks played three defensemen with 16 games or fewer of NHL experience in Blacker, Josh Manson and Mat Clark.
This is what they get for giving us the mad cow disease earlier in the season....
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Eric Brewer traded to the Ducks

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

And 2 games in he has broken his foot blocking a shot. Brewer out 4-6 weeks.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:And 2 games in he has broken his foot blocking a shot. Brewer out 4-6 weeks.
:lol: :lol: :facepalm:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

As much as I bagged on him during his time here, I feel bad for him. He's kind of just an anonymous player in the league when he's not on your team (thank god). But to get traded, to be a piece that helps the Ducks on D, then you break your foot in that way? That sucks, fo' sho'.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:As much as I bagged on him during his time here, I feel bad for him. He's kind of just an anonymous player in the league when he's not on your team (thank god). But to get traded, to be a piece that helps the Ducks on D, then you break your foot in that way? That sucks, fo' sho'.
I'm not so sure he would have been "helping" the Ducks. They're probably better off with him hurt.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

A bit random but this got me thinking...

Anyone know how/why we didn't get a first round pick when we dealt Pronger to the Oil for Brewer (and others)? My memory is biased but I don't remember him being THAT highly rated of a defensive prospect at the time. I don't recall Woywitka or Lynch being THAT high either. Why didn't that happen?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:A bit random but this got me thinking...

Anyone know how/why we didn't get a first round pick when we dealt Pronger to the Oil for Brewer (and others)? My memory is biased but I don't remember him being THAT highly rated of a defensive prospect at the time. I don't recall Woywitka or Lynch being THAT high either. Why didn't that happen?
Brewer was actually highly regarded at the time. He was an up and coming defenseman and had just played for team Canada.
He was probably the most valuable he has been in his career at the time of that trade. So Edmonton definitely sold high.

It ended up being one of the worst trades we have ever made. We got fleeced.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:

Brewer was actually highly regarded at the time. He was an up and coming defenseman and had just played for team Canada.
He was probably the most valuable he has been in his career at the time of that trade. So Edmonton definitely sold high.

It's worse than that. It was asset-stripping, straight up. Pronger was the consensus best D in the league and according to many, the best player in the league. Brewer was considered a good dman, sure, but no way that trade's made unless the Lauries were looking to move Pronger's $6.2M salary off the books in favor of Brewer's $2M. Remember, that trade was made two months after they announced they were selling the team. F'in carpetbaggers.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:As much as I bagged on him during his time here, I feel bad for him. He's kind of just an anonymous player in the league when he's not on your team (thank god). But to get traded, to be a piece that helps the Ducks on D, then you break your foot in that way? That sucks, fo' sho'.
I'm not so sure he would have been "helping" the Ducks. They're probably better off with him hurt.
I meant helping in that they needed a living, breathing human being on D. They got one. He got hurt.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I've always felt bad for Brewer. He never lived up to be the player we hoped for. But, realistically, that was an unattainable goal. He was the centerpiece of an unpopular trade involving arguably the best player in hockey. He was never going to make people here happy. Ever. Much of the criticism he gets is warranted. But, he lost before he ever stepped foot on the ice.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ecbm wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

It's worse than that. It was asset-stripping, straight up. Pronger was the consensus best D in the league and according to many, the best player in the league. Brewer was considered a good dman, sure, but no way that trade's made unless the Lauries were looking to move Pronger's $6.2M salary off the books in favor of Brewer's $2M. Remember, that trade was made two months after they announced they were selling the team. F'in carpetbaggers.
Exactly, and first round picks don't cost anything so wtf?! It's more about how high Pronger's value was than how good Brewer was at the time. It's almost a given that you get a first rounder when you trade away a staple player. Makes no sense...

edit: I looked it up for kicks and giggles and the Oilers had traded away their 2006 pick to Minnesota, who flipped it to LA, who drafted Trevor Lewis. Not sure when the timeline of those trades were, but it's possible the Oilers didn't even have a 2006 first rounder to offer us and unwilling to mortgage the farm for two years? Who knows. No guarantee whatsoever that we would've selected Trevor Lewis but gives you an idea on the return. He's a solid player, I like him. The Oilers' 2007 first rounder ended up being 6th overall, Sam Gagner. I focus more on the "6th overall" than Sam Gagner, but... we might've had the 6th overall pick, who knows.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

cprice12 wrote:

I just assumed it was nothing more than a salary trade. That's when the owners lost dedication for the team and just wanted to save money. We traded a superstar defenseman away for nothing, and they also let Demitra walk without replacing him with anyone equal in value.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Brewer was a #5 overall pick. That's why there wasn't a first round pick included in the trade. Yes, the Blues should have gotten more.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

theohall wrote:Brewer was a #5 overall pick. That's why there wasn't a first round pick included in the trade. Yes, the Blues should have gotten more.
No, there was no first rounder because the Oil had the leverage because everyone knew that the Lauries just wanted to lower the payroll on general principle and also to encourage interest in buying the team. Brewer was the #5 pick 7 seasons before the trade. He wasn't a prospect. Put it this way-Karl Alzner was the #5 pick 7 seasons ago. Not a bad player. Under what circumstances do you think you could get Shea Weber or Zdeno Chara for him (or even, say, for Kyle Turris who went at #4 in 07)? Because Pronger was that good. The Lauries were jerks-ignoring the team for a quixotic pursuit of an NBA franchise. One more reason not to shop in their hellholes.