GDT #23: 11/28/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #23: 11/28/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

Can we make the Berglund/Ott for Eberle swap pre-game?
OILERS (6-14-3) at BLUES (14-6-2)

TV: SNW, FS-MW

Season series: This is the first of three games between the teams this season. The St. Louis Blues won all three games against the Edmonton Oilers by at least three goals in 2013-14, outscoring them 17-4. From Dec. 11, 2007, to Dec. 11, 2009, the Oilers won eight straight games against the Blues, but St. Louis has won 14 of 17 since, including eight victories of three or more goals.

Oilers team scope: This is the second half of back-to-back games against the top two teams in the Central Division. Edmonton has lost eight straight games (0-6-2) and despite outplaying the Nashville Predators on Thursday night remain without a victory since Nov. 9. The Oilers also have yet to defeat a team from the Western Conference (0-11-2). They have generated at least 32 shots on goal in five of the eight games during this skid, but have just 13 goals, including three in the past four games.

Blues team scope: St. Louis is 11-0-0 when it scores three goals, and 3-6-2 when the Blues score two or less. A lot of the scoring has been coming from the "STL line" of Jaden Schwartz, Jere Lehtera and Vladimir Tarasenko. The trio has combined for 27 goals and 64 points, but only three goals and eight points in the past five games. Four of those were on the road, and opposing coaches have started to match their best defensive players against what is technically St. Louis' "third" line. There was little offense to speak of against in losses to the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens, but others have helped out and the Blues have nine goals in the past three games.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #23: 11/28/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Oilers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

If the Blues somehow manage to frank up and lose this game we'll have to keep nyghtewynd on a suicide watch.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

It's amazing to the think of what the Oilers have become since the juggernaut they were in the 80s. The irony is they can thank Gretzky since he is the reason for much of their collapse. After he fled to LA the NHL's salary structure exploded which priced out markets like Edmonton.

You can say that would've happened eventually anyway but still.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Given that Gretzky was traded and didn't "flee" as a free agent, you can't really accuse him, personally, of causing any problems in Edmonton. It's really Pocklington's fault. Since we all know you don't know who Peter Pocklington is, ask your professor for some insight. He might be able to help you sound moderately intelligent.

Remember: Everyone hated Peter and Janet for trading the best player on the planet. Extra credit if you can identify the song/artist.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Of course I know who Peter Puck is. I have Gretzky's book & video. I know he left in large part because of him. I know Gretzky was traded but it was a forced trade. Who could forget the trade for Jimmy Carson & Wayne Van Dorp plus $15 million!

You know IF Gretzky really wanted to stay he would've stayed. The point is the economics of the game REALLY changed after Gretzky went to LA.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The new Kings ownership had been tossing around the idea of trading for Gretzky because his wife was an actress and they lived part time in the area. The Oilers didn't expect to resign Gretzky so they traded him for players rather than lose him for nothing. But there was no guarantee. He probably would have left anyway but you can't say it was forced. The Oilers just wanted to guarantee they got something in return.

Little known fact: when notified of the trade, Gretzky was babysitting future no-talent singer Robin Thicke. He was a part time houseguest of actor Alan Thicke.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Blues 7
Oilers 0

Give David his "full 60."

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I only got to listen so I don't know what was and wasn't Allen's fault (so far) but I'd rather see Binnington tomorrow. Win or lose, this is a pitiful effort against a pitiful team. We should be winning 8-0 against these fools.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I guess a wins a win, but pissing away a point in the conference. What if we're fighting Edmonton for the 8 seed in the last few games? Oh wait....

But seriously, ot needed to beat Edmonton? That deserves a bag skate.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'll take adversity anyway we can get it. Builds character. I've been saying it but last year's team had it too easy. They were rolling everyone and they didn't hit adversity til late April. Fight through it, come out on the other side strong, and keep pushing for a deep playoff run. If that means fighting tooth and nail against a team we should have been up on 7-0 after 1? So be it.

Also, we're not giving enough credit to Scrivens. Dude was amazing tonight. Only reason Edmonton got a point.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I didn't get to see much of the game, but that Tarasenko goal was sick. Gets puck in neutral zone. Game is over 2.5 seconds later.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:I didn't get to see much of the game, but that Tarasenko goal was sick. Gets puck in neutral zone. Game is over 2.5 seconds later.
His deke was impressive...and how quick he got that shot off after the deke was just sick.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/