Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Post by Kerfuffle »

Blackhawks just announced that Corey Crawford is out injured again so Anti Raanta will start in net tomorrow night against you guys. I'm guessing St. Louis counters with Brodeur since you're not facing our #1 anymore and the odds are now even.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I don't know why some people are so against this? It's really not a slap in the face to Allen or Elliott, it's called insurance. Do you really trust an Allen/Binnington duo for the foreseeable future? Binnington may have a lot of potential but he's not ready to be here yet. Allen can't start every game no matter what he says. So we get a guy with experience who should help bridge the gap while Ells is out. What's the big deal?

On Facebook people are saying Allen is going to be sent down and all this stupid nonsense. For one thing, if you try to send Allen down he's going to be claimed because he has to go on waivers. For another thing....just no. No, no, no, no. Brodeur isn't here to take over. He's here to compete for starts and be a teacher. It's Allen #1, Brodeur #2. The only way we see a steady stream of Brodeur is if Allen falls on his face. I don't see that happening.

There's really not a lot of downside. We didn't give up anything to get him. The reactions are just strange to me. If Ells comes back fine, and/or if Brodeur isn't keeping up, I assume they will either keep Brodeur on as a practice goalie or just let him go and it'll be just like it was: Elliott #1, Allen #2.

Let's burn this bitch down though, right? :roll:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:On Facebook people are saying Allen is going to be sent down and all this stupid nonsense. For one thing, if you try to send Allen down he's going to be claimed because he has to go on waivers. For another thing....just no. No, no, no, no. Brodeur isn't here to take over. He's here to compete for starts and be a teacher. It's Allen #1, Brodeur #2. The only way we see a steady stream of Brodeur is if Allen falls on his face. I don't see that happening.
Facebook commenters are approaching the Asylum for worst contributors. Most think that any move the Blues make, no matter how minor, means the guy is being signed as an answer. Like when they sign a guy that's clearly going to be an AHL only player unless needed for depth, they all freak out about how it doesn't fix our scoring problem, or blah, blah, blah. I really think I just need to quit going to Facebook altogether. It's not good for my health.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Brodeur has a great Blues career I'll admit I was wrong and eat crow, but I think there are better options for very part time goalies than a very old goalie on the decline. I agree with Kerfuffle, signing a guy with a good history doesn't make it a good move if he's washed up and not going to get the job done. I don't think Brodeur will get the job done any better or worse than Lundstrom, Binnington or any slew of other free agent options they could have brought in on a short, prorated contract with performance bonuses. This is more for the name and a few jersey sales and ticket sales. If anything, I'm more ticked that it's an obvious attempt to do something that needed to be done, but for all the wrong reasons.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

glen a richter wrote:If Brodeur has a great Blues career I'll admit I was wrong and eat crow, but I think there are better options for very part time goalies than a very old goalie on the decline. I agree with Kerfuffle, signing a guy with a good history doesn't make it a good move if he's washed up and not going to get the job done. I don't think Brodeur will get the job done any better or worse than Lundstrom, Binnington or any slew of other free agent options they could have brought in on a short, prorated contract with performance bonuses. This is more for the name and a few jersey sales and ticket sales. If anything, I'm more ticked that it's an obvious attempt to do something that needed to be done, but for all the wrong reasons.
Can you list these options?

(not being a dick, curious who you know is available and think is a better option)
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Quick scan of the free agents who are still available? Tomas Vokoun, younger by a couple years, relatively good history. Tim Thomas, also younger and a Cup champ. Bryzgalov, much younger and a decent history. J.S. Giguere who I think just officially retired (not sure, honestly) but is also a FA and a Cup champ and younger than Brodeur.

Not saying that any of those guys would have been better or worse than Brodeur will be, but Brodeur is the name. Vokoun, Thomas, Bryzgalov and Giguere aren't names. There were also a bunch of younger options who I guess would have demanded a longer term contract, guys like Nilstorp from Dallas, for example. It still seems like the reason they specifically went after Brodeur was more for tickets and jerseys than anything else.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:Hard not to read from this that Elliott's injury at least could be serious. Am I the only one who wondered what sort of lower body injury renders a guy 'week-to-week'? My guess is he seriously strained/sprained some knee ligaments and could potentially be done for the season.

Agree with those above that see this as an acceptable stop-gap move. Having a bit more veteran presence in the form of a guy who's made deep playoff runs can't hurt either.
Them needing to go out and get somebody certainly pushes the needle toward being more serious. However, I don't think it would take very long of Elliott being out for them to want to do this. If he's out 3-4 weeks like they're suggesting, I still think they would see this as a beneficial move. And, if it goes longer, then the benefit/need increases. Him being out for the season seems possible, but I don't think this signing makes that likely as they would have done it for a shorter stint too.

I think the February and March bonus dates likely give a bit of a clue to what they're expecting.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

I have absolutely zero problem with this, I don't know why everyone is freaking out.

We knew going in that we did not have much goalie depth beyond the Ells/Allen tandem. One of em got hurt, so they need to get someone to spot. $700k for Brodeur is a steal, even at 42. And I have absolutely NO problem with the fact that jersey sales likely played a part in him getting a look before the likes of Giguere and Bryz. The team's finances are known to be shabby, and anything that helps that helps the team in the long term.

Also allows them to be conservative with Elliott's return, which I think is the wise move.

Go get em, Marty.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:Quick scan of the free agents who are still available? Tomas Vokoun, younger by a couple years, relatively good history. Tim Thomas, also younger and a Cup champ. Bryzgalov, much younger and a decent history. J.S. Giguere who I think just officially retired (not sure, honestly) but is also a FA and a Cup champ and younger than Brodeur.

Not saying that any of those guys would have been better or worse than Brodeur will be, but Brodeur is the name. Vokoun, Thomas, Bryzgalov and Giguere aren't names. There were also a bunch of younger options who I guess would have demanded a longer term contract, guys like Nilstorp from Dallas, for example. It still seems like the reason they specifically went after Brodeur was more for tickets and jerseys than anything else.
But honestly, any one of those is just as much of a crapshoot as Marty. Bryzgalov may be younger, but has fallen off the map. When was the last time Vokoun was a viable NHL goaltender? Giguere is retired. Thomas' performance has really fallen off the last couple of years. I'm not disagreeing with you. I really think if we signed any one of those guys you mentioned, I'd be okay with it. My main reason is that we need cheap goaltending, we got it. Those guys would have been cheap too. It's easier to stomach some subpar goaltending on the cheap, regardless of who it is. On top of that, it saves throwing Binnington to the wolves (even though that's what they did because the threw him...back...to the Wolves in the AHL *rimshot*), still allows him time to develop.

I get your concern. But I think each of those names you mentioned as the same no risk/potentially high reward status as Brodeur. You could debate that Marty might not have the higher ceiling, and you might be right, but I'm okay with taking a chance with one of the greatest goalies of all time and seeing what he's got left.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

dmiles2186 wrote: When was the last time Vokoun was a viable NHL goaltender?
Vokoun is -very- viable. Late in his career, he's always seemed to run into 'Charlie Hodge' luck; he'd get on a team that's already got a solid starter or is called in to help improve a bad situation only to be dealt away. He is viable, younger and has gas left in the tank. If he sucked that bad, the Pens wouldn't keep him in the system and they just signed a guy who is subpar to Tomas for a multi-year big money deal. They ain't stupid, there's just no place for Vokooooun in their ranks up top atm..again, Charlie Hodge luck lol.

The problem with acquiring him is, we'd have to give up someone and/or a pick. I think if we're going to sign an older netminder at the twilight of his years, Marty or bust. While I don't agree with it, Marty's wearing the Bluenote now, and I am really hoping that he comes in and shoots for the stars...and hits. Kill the Hawks.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Wonderful... we've signed yet another pansy. :facepalm:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:Quick scan of the free agents who are still available? Tomas Vokoun, younger by a couple years, relatively good history. Tim Thomas, also younger and a Cup champ. Bryzgalov, much younger and a decent history. J.S. Giguere who I think just officially retired (not sure, honestly) but is also a FA and a Cup champ and younger than Brodeur.

Allen should still get the bulk of the starts, assuming he continues to play well. And Brodeur will be waived when Elliott comes back as he is only week to week. So you would think, in a month or so, he'll be back.
Brodeur, if he plays well, might be claimed by another team to finish out the season. I am sure that is Brodeur's goal. He knows he won't be here that long and he wants to show he still has a little bit left so he can be claimed when waived.

I like this move for a few reasons.
- I think Brodeur is capable of coming in and playing good enough to backup Allen and bridge the gap to Elliott's return. The Blues wouldn't have signed him if they didn't think he could do the job. If the Blues were near the bottom of the league, I could see this as a PR move to put some fans in the seats, but that's not the case here. They aren't going to dick around like that when the realistic goal is to win a cup this year.
- This move cost us nothing except a contract for $700k with a $10k bonus for every point the team gets while he is in net. And if/when he is waived and claimed, another team will take on the remainder of that contract. So we won't be on the hook for it all, and neither will the team that claims him. Could be a bargain for both teams...assuming he plays well and is claimed.
- Brodeur could give Allen (and Elliott for that matter) some valuable advice/tips while he is here. Allen should soak up any knowledge that Brodeur has to give. If Allen is indeed our goalie of the future and he learns some things from Brodeur while he is here, that could make the Brodeur signing shear genius.
- If Brodeur doesn't play well...then we play Allen for most of the starts until Elliott gets back... possibly waive Brodeur and bring up Binnington.

There isn't a scenario where Brodeur finishes the season with the Blues. Let's be clear on that...unless of course Elliott is out for the season (which he's not) and Brodeur plays very well. So this is a bridge signing that Brodeur hopes lands him with another team when he gets waived or traded.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

This is awesome now the Blues are the only team that can say that we have had the best forward(Gretzky) and best goaltender(Marty) stats wise of all time.
Allen will learn so much hopefully.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Army had some good quotes on what this signing actually means.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... ed1ea.html
On Tuesday, Armstrong acknowledged meeting with both Elliott and Allen before bringing Brodeur to town.

“Before we got too far, I wanted to let those guys know,” Armstrong said. “What I said to them was, ‘We’re bringing Marty in and I’m letting you guys know out of respect for what you guys mean to this team. Don’t read too much into it.’

“It had zero effect on Jake, but Brian, being experienced, it was a little bit of ‘OK, what does this mean?’ We just tried to say, ‘Our job is to win hockey games, our job is to put this organization in a great spot when you return.’

“So we’ve talked about the what-ifs, but we haven’t spent a lot of time on what-ifs. When Brian’s ready, he’ll be back in here. Our goaltenders are Brian and Jake. We believe in them. Marty understands that these guys are our goaltenders and he’s here to help out our organization and we’re here to get him on the ice.”

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Many are also overlooking the value of allowing Binnington to continue to get starts in the AHL (remember, this is his first season there) rather than sitting the bench behind Allen, which is what would have happened.

I actually like this move more and more as I think of it. Consider: the 2/1 and 3/1 bonuses aren't for being on the Blues' roster-they're for being on any NHL roster. Marty wants to prove to teams with real need in goal that he can still play in the NHL. The only way for him to do that is actually to play. He'll get a chance to do that. If he does reasonably well and Elliott comes back-we might actually get something for him as I dare say someone will be interested in having him at a prorated $950K, max. Could be a win-win-win.

For the record, Vokoun had a .891 SV% in the AHL last year and hasn't topped a .920 in the NHL since '10-11. Plus he's tied to compensation and a whopping 4 years younger than Brodeur with injury history. I don't want Thomas or Bryzgalov in that locker room. Brodeur really looks like the best option to me.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Looks like Anaheim is taking a page out of our book by inviting Bryzgalov to a try-out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 16917.html

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When the Cup is ours in June, will Marty get a ring for the 5 or so games he plays?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

In baseball, anybody who plays a game for a team gets a ring no matter what, even if they are traded or released mid-season. I don't know about hockey, but I believe you have to play a game in the playoffs to get your name on the Cup. Not sure if that translates to getting a ring or not though. I'm guessing there's a lower burden for getting a ring than getting your name on the Cup, but can't say for certain.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

cardsfan04 wrote:In baseball, anybody who plays a game for a team gets a ring no matter what, even if they are traded or released mid-season. I don't know about hockey, but I believe you have to play a game in the playoffs to get your name on the Cup. Not sure if that translates to getting a ring or not though. I'm guessing there's a lower burden for getting a ring than getting your name on the Cup, but can't say for certain.
If you plan one game in the final round your name goes on the cup. We had Ben Smith who only played game 3 against Boston in round 4 for us back in 2013. His name is on the cup. Although technically the rule does not say you have to 'skate' a shift in round 4 - all you have to do is suit up and be on the bench in round 4 and you qualify.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

ecbm wrote:I actually like this move more and more as I think of it. Consider: the 2/1 and 3/1 bonuses aren't for being on the Blues' roster-they're for being on any NHL roster. Marty wants to prove to teams with real need in goal that he can still play in the NHL. The only way for him to do that is actually to play. He'll get a chance to do that. If he does reasonably well and Elliott comes back-we might actually get something for him as I dare say someone will be interested in having him at a prorated $950K, max. Could be a win-win-win.
It worked out great with Bill Guerin. Maybe we can pull it off again.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now