Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Hall of Fame G Martin Brodeur is coming to the Blues!

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:In baseball, anybody who plays a game for a team gets a ring no matter what, even if they are traded or released mid-season. I don't know about hockey, but I believe you have to play a game in the playoffs to get your name on the Cup. Not sure if that translates to getting a ring or not though. I'm guessing there's a lower burden for getting a ring than getting your name on the Cup, but can't say for certain.
If you plan one game in the final round your name goes on the cup. We had Ben Smith who only played game 3 against Boston in round 4 for us back in 2013. His name is on the cup. Although technically the rule does not say you have to 'skate' a shift in round 4 - all you have to do is suit up and be on the bench in round 4 and you qualify.
It has to be the finals? I thought it could be any game of any round of the playoffs.

EDIT: I just looked it up and you're (mostly) right. It's 1 game in the Finals, not any playoff game. But, there are 2 other ways to get your name on it. 1) Dress for 41 regular season games for the Cup Champion. 2) Apply for an exception (primarily for injury).
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Well it is what it is at this point and even though I disagree with the signing of Brodeur, I support him and hope (obviously) that he does damn well in the note for the one or two months he's with the team.

Also, I seem to recall in 1994 when the Rags bought themselves a Stanley Cup by hiring out all the ex Oilers, Ed Olzyck (definitely) and Mike Hurlbut (I think) both were deemed ineligible to be etched on the Cup for one reason or another and they begged, pleaded and the league relented and let them both get on it.

Edit: Hurlbut was on the Rags in 92-93, not 94. It was either Kypreos or Lidster they lobbied for even though he didn't have enough games played in the postseason. Olcyzk only played 1 in the postseason and had a crap ass regular season on top of that. I'm not sure what the hell he did to deserve his name on the Cup.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Judging from last night it is pretty obvious that signing Brodeur = :cup:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ramsfan115
Prospect
Prospect

Post by ramsfan115 »

GP w l ot so ga sa s% gaa
2013-2014 Devils 39 19 14 - 6 3 96 971 .901 2.51

This it MB's stats from last year...compared with BE's stats, he ( at his advanced age :oops: :oops: ) allowed an average of .50 goals more...and is on par with JA...oh wait...for the last three years the Blues had one of the top Ds in the league, while NJ bled their D... IMHO the dude still has it, and never really lost it...

Im not trying say that MB is the next thing to white bread for us... this is Elliot's/Allen's team... but I don't understand all the hellabolou regarding him on our team...he will do nothing but help, age not withstanding...And maybe, just maybe, he feels he has something to prove, and starts stealing some games for us...for me anyway, this is not too far fetched...

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

goon attack wrote:Judging from last night it is pretty obvious that signing Brodeur = :cup:
I know it was only 1 game but you can't win the Cup by scoring 1 goal. I do believe the Blues have been shut out 3 times already. It is a common complaint around here that the Blues scoring goes cold outside of the STL line. More lines need to start scoring to win the Cup.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Brodeur is the 2nd oldest Blue ever at 42 years 212 days old.

Anyone know who is the oldest Blue ever?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

My first guess was McTavish, but I think he was slightly younger than that and I know his last season was in Philly. Plant was over 40 when he left the blues, but I don't think he was quite as ancient as Marty. Al would have played a couple more years if people didn't try to put his eyes out, but he was right at 40 when he hung up the skates. BUT the answer is Doug Harvey, who played for STL in his final season, 1969.

But here's another one: Who is the lowest drafted (latest pick) to ever play goaltender in the NHL?
Last edited by not_a_wings_fan on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Brodeur is the 2nd oldest Blue ever at 42 years 212 days old.

Anyone know who is the oldest Blue ever?
I suppose you do and we're just having a fun little impromptu quiz?

Please, enlighten us with your vast hockey knowledge.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:My first guess was McTavish, but I think he was slightly younger than that and I know his last season was in Philly. Plant was over 40 when he left the blues, but I don't think he was quite as ancient as Marty. Al would have played a couple more years if people didn't try to put his eyes out, but he was right at 40 when he hung up the skates. BUT the answer is Doug Harvey, who played for STL in his final season, 1969.

But here's another one: Who is the lowest drafted (latest pick) to ever play goaltender in the NHL?
I don't want to bother looking up the exact draft slots of each, but I'm pretty sure both Elliott and Henrik Lundqvist were 8th round picks. Given we're Blues fans (except for, of course, JNE and Kerfuffle) I'll suppose the answer to your question is Elliott.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

glen a richter wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:My first guess was McTavish, but I think he was slightly younger than that and I know his last season was in Philly. Plant was over 40 when he left the blues, but I don't think he was quite as ancient as Marty. Al would have played a couple more years if people didn't try to put his eyes out, but he was right at 40 when he hung up the skates. BUT the answer is Doug Harvey, who played for STL in his final season, 1969.

I don't want to bother looking up the exact draft slots of each, but I'm pretty sure both Elliott and Henrik Lundqvist were 8th round picks. Given we're Blues fans (except for, of course, JNE and Kerfuffle) I'll suppose the answer to your question is Elliott.
Winnar!!!

And Ells was drafted in the 9th round, #291 overall
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman