GDT #22: 11/25/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #22: 11/25/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:Well, if Tank keeps playing like he has, this isn't Backes' team anymore. If there are differences of opinion about how to play, prepare, etc. then this may not be done.

Is the team breaking into factions?

We will see how this goes, but I don't like this at all. This is the kind of shit that starts losing streaks and rebuilds. Shouldn't be that much tension between guys on a winning team.
I think that's a plausible concern, but a fairly extreme one. I know hockey isn't football, but fights happen all the time in the NFL. You have competitive guys playing a physical sport competing against each other in practice for an extended time and tempers will boil over periodically. Factor in that it happened the night after the team blew a 2-1 lead with 40 seconds to go, and I'm even less worried.

Sometimes things like this can be a good thing. For one it's evidence that they aren't apathetic. I mean, that wasn't really a concern to begin with, but still. Hopefully they turn it into a positive moving forward.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: GDT #22: 11/25/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Senators | FSMW/KMOX

Post by ViPeRx007 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:Well, if Tank keeps playing like he has, this isn't Backes' team anymore. If there are differences of opinion about how to play, prepare, etc. then this may not be done.

Is the team breaking into factions?

We will see how this goes, but I don't like this at all. This is the kind of shit that starts losing streaks and rebuilds. Shouldn't be that much tension between guys on a winning team.
I think that's a plausible concern, but a fairly extreme one. I know hockey isn't football, but fights happen all the time in the NFL. You have competitive guys playing a physical sport competing against each other in practice for an extended time and tempers will boil over periodically. Factor in that it happened the night after the team blew a 2-1 lead with 40 seconds to go, and I'm even less worried.

Sometimes things like this can be a good thing. For one it's evidence that they aren't apathetic. I mean, that wasn't really a concern to begin with, but still. Hopefully they turn it into a positive moving forward.
I can't find it right now, but I swear I just read the other day that a similar thing happened during a Canadiens practice. It was some other NHL team anyway. I know I'm not crazy, but I can't find the link.

I guess what I'm getting at is, yes, this type of thing probably does happen more than we think. I'm not too concerned about it. It makes me wonder if the balance of power might be shifting a bit and Backes is feeling like he's going to get overthrown. Honestly, good! You need competition within the team as well. It's healthy....to a point.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko