Maple Leafs & Their Fans: Relationship Problems

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Maple Leafs & Their Fans: Relationship Problems

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Things really aren't going well in Toronto.

A few nights ago, Leafs fans were throwing their jerseys on the ice after another loss. Last night, after a win, the players didn't do their traditional salute to the fans after the game which, of course, made them all sorts of mad.

Personally, I think the fans have every right to be mad about both situations. They spend their hard-earned money to go watch games, fill up that arena all the time in spite of the team sucking horribly, and they deserve to show anger and disappointment when things aren't going right. They don't, however, deserve being called names (Kessel called the jersey throwers "classless"), or being snubbed by these "professionals".

That's what I would call the truly classes act.

To me this is a classic, "the customer is always right" thing; in this case the fans. They have probably the most loyal fanbase of any team and the players should respect that, especially when they really have nothing to fight back with. They could just say, "We're the Maple Leafs, we deserve your respect just for that alone." but....no.

Maybe you don't agree. Just curious about your thoughts.

The funny thing is that, in spite of it all, they keep filling their arena up every game. Canadian teams really are impressive in that regard. Even the Oilers, Jets, Flames, etc. fill up their arenas almost all the time and none have really had much success lately. It's pretty cool, especially when you have teams in our country who have a far better product on the ice and are barely able to stay afloat.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Maple Leafs & Their Fans: Relationship Problems

Post by ecbm »

Completely agree, Curt. That "classless" act shows that the fans identify with the team and are suffering, at least potentially, with them. Also, many (most) of those fans either were watching the dross that Toronto has been putting on the ice for years before anyone currently on the team arrived and/or will be for years after they're gone. Whereas Kessel will be associated with the club for exactly as long as he draws a check from them.

I guess they'd prefer to play for Florida where you can suck for years and nobody notices because nobody cares.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

It'd be a little tough to swallow, but from the players' perspective, I can see how they would be, 'You know, maybe we don't HAVE to salute them every time if they're going to treat us this way.'

I see them doing it from now on, but that was their 'warning shot' to the fans that appreciation can go both ways, right or wrong. I think that if this happened in Carolina or Dallas or Phoenix, it's not a story, but since it's in Toronto, it's 'CODE RED! BREAKING NEWS!' type stuff. But the way the sport is covered there, I understand why it's making waves.

They'll patch it up. The Leafs will win 2-3 in a row at home, they'll salute, fans will cheer, and everything will be back to order.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

You have to remember that in Toronto and Montreal the fans and media are similar to the New York Yankees - where they have a long storied history of many championships and are expected to win - and anything short of a championship is unacceptable. I think it's good as it pushes these clubs to improve or the fans stay away. Maybe if the fans weren't so complacent around Wrigley Field and stopped attending and demanded a competitive team, the Cubs may actually improve. But when fans support mediocrity....or crap....don't expect the front office to do anything to improve. Anyone would love to run a highly profitable business with a crappy and cheap product. So Montreal and Toronto are 2 teams that refuse to accept losing and push for more. Some players can't take the pressure and prefer smaller cities to loaf and collect a paycheck. But I like the passion those 2 teams have with their base.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Don't the Leafs have a longer Cup drought than the Blues?

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Kerfuffle wrote:You have to remember that in Toronto and Montreal the fans and media are similar to the New York Yankees - where they have a long storied history of many championships and are expected to win - and anything short of a championship is unacceptable. I think it's good as it pushes these clubs to improve or the fans stay away. Maybe if the fans weren't so complacent around Wrigley Field and stopped attending and demanded a competitive team, the Cubs may actually improve. But when fans support mediocrity....or crap....don't expect the front office to do anything to improve. Anyone would love to run a highly profitable business with a crappy and cheap product. So Montreal and Toronto are 2 teams that refuse to accept losing and push for more. Some players can't take the pressure and prefer smaller cities to loaf and collect a paycheck. But I like the passion those 2 teams have with their base.
There's a difference between getting upset at poor play and throwing your jersey on the ice after a loss. Don't throw things on the ice out of anger. I think that's a far bigger deal than the team not saluting the fans. Also, I don't think teams suck because they aren't motivated to win.

There was a really good article on this on Deadspin today.

http://deadspin.com/god-help-me-i-do-ca ... 1661563806
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Also, this is pretty cool from before Toronto's blowout loss to Nashville that ~started all of this. Anthem singer's mic went out, so the Toronto crowd finished the US national anthem:

http://deadspin.com/maple-leafs-fans-fi ... 1661626573
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Don't the Leafs have a longer Cup drought than the Blues?
Nope same amount of years.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Don't the Leafs have a longer Cup drought than the Blues?
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I've never lived in Toronto but from what I understand their fans are absolutely rabid and there's not really any other comparison in sports. Cowboys in football? Yankees in baseball might be a close one.

It's something else playing for the Maple Leafs or Canadiens. Everything you do or don't do is scrutinized to the Nth degree, it's just crazy. I'm half surprised the city didn't burn down after the Maple Leafs blew that game late to the Bruins two years ago in the playoffs.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk