Lack of scoring depth?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Lack of scoring depth?

Post by gaijin »

I know just about every one of us has mentioned the desire for more scoring from everyone not named Tarasenko. But to be honest, as long as they win, I don't give a shit. Other people scored before Tarasenko, and I think someone will pick up the slack if needed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 05457.html

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Lack of scoring depth?

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

If the STL line cools off there could be big trouble scoring enough.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:If the STL line cools off there could be big trouble scoring enough.
That would bode well for your blackhawks.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think it goes back to chemistry and lines. We have had some injuries and that impacts what people can do.

I think Backes/Oshie/Steen will get scoring if they are able to leave them together.

I am not sure where Stastny fits on this team atm. I like the guy, but they need to get him some wings. I think people were expecting him to play with boat... and that's not happening now... and someone younger.

It really comes down to Bergie being a BAD signing. He's not filling a role on this team and makes too much to be on the 4th line. If he's out of there it makes room for someone who might actually show up and play.

idk, but I see people being shipped out more than just Leo.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Doubtful but would Army trade Jackman before losing him as a fa with zero return?

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I would think they would keep Jackman for the season if they are serious about a cup run. He is still effective when healthy.

I would see them trading Bouw around the draft, actually, to clear space in the cap and the roster.

I don't see too many more in-season trades unless something just amazing falls in their lap. They have spent several years building this team towards a cup, and they won't tinker with it too much right now.

All bets are off if the team tanks or something.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

I don't think it's an issue of the other players not being able to score, but that players have somehow gotten complacent. Frank and co. are practically doing the scoring and the rest of the team is riding on his back. Sure there can be sicknesses, injuries that we don't see and other things and it's not like the team is slouching, Backes is banged up, Osh is out and the dynamic is all over the place. It's really hard to tell where the problems are and it's too easy to yell fire someone or trade someone. Bergy's been visible and hitting like a truck which is a major improvement than where he was before. He still has moments of listlessness but they're fewer and he looks more capable, he just needs that one goal that'll build his confidence back. He's got everything else and I seriously think, and don't kill me here, that pairing him up with Lehtera and Frank might be a good idea. If he can't hack it on that line, he doesn't really deserve to be here. He gets paid too much and has too much upside not to be productive.

Honestly, I think the team should be left alone. We're winning and if anything, the front office should be fine tuning the team and nothing else. But if a good trade opportunity comes along and Bergy and/or Ott could be shipped out for an upgrade...
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It looks like we're starting to see some spread out scoring over the last 3 games. Now they need to keep it up.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I'm not worried about the scoring depth. I know the STL line is the only one that's been dynamite so far, but we've played 17 games. The STL line won't be this dominant all season and the other lines won't be so dead. The STL line will likely score the most, but the others will pick it up. Backes, Oshie, Steen, Stastny, etc. didn't all forget how to play hockey in the offseason.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Agreed cardsfan. This team is littered with 20 and 30 goal scorers. They'll pick things up, it's just a matter of time. And eventually the STL line won't be as on fire as they are now, but other lines will pick them up. The Blues have 3 lines that can score, a 4th line that can chip in offense occasionally, and guys waiting in the minors that can add scoring if injuries force them up here. That's depth, my friends.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Meh. I guess this is what you come up with if you go fishing for a problem on this team right now?

They've won 9 of 10 without ever really clicking until the last game. That's good. Really good. Stastny will carve out a role on this team, I don't worry about that. I can't fathom criticizing this team's scoring depth. The roster features 3 players in the top 50 in goals, as many as any team and more than most. I see five guys with 20G+ potential: Stastny, Backes, Lehtera and both Schwartz and Tarasenko can top 30. The sort of statistical outliers represented by #91 & 17 are what you get from a really small sample size. Stastny & Oshie have missed significant time already and Backes has been out a few games too. I can't escape the conclusion, even from what is presented in that piece, that however you look at it the Blues scoring is better this season than last. (Good job on that, Army!)

One point that I do agree with is that our 4th line is shockingly unproductive. At least Reaves is fighting recently. It would be nice to get anything out of that line.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ecbm wrote:Meh. I guess this is what you come up with if you go fishing for a problem on this team right now?

They've won 9 of 10 without ever really clicking until the last game. That's good. Really good. Stastny will carve out a role on this team, I don't worry about that. I can't fathom criticizing this team's scoring depth. The roster features 3 players in the top 50 in goals, as many as any team and more than most. I see five guys with 20G+ potential: Stastny, Backes, Lehtera and both Schwartz and Tarasenko can top 30. The sort of statistical outliers represented by #91 & 17 are what you get from a really small sample size. Stastny & Oshie have missed significant time already and Backes has been out a few games too. I can't escape the conclusion, even from what is presented in that piece, that however you look at it the Blues scoring is better this season than last. (Good job on that, Army!)

One point that I do agree with is that our 4th line is shockingly unproductive. At least Reaves is fighting recently. It would be nice to get anything out of that line.

I kind of wonder about the future of the "tough guy" lines; specifically the players that barely contribute anything offensively and are just there to log a few minutes and push people around. With the league cracking down on "excessive violence" I could see them being phased out for more skill guys. I would hate that, because I think it's a great part of the game, but it wouldn't surprise me. Maybe it wouldn't be that they'd be phased out, but I could see a new breed of them; tough guys who can actually score goals...I've never really understood why the two seem largely mutually exclusive. I guess it's because if you can score, you generally don't want to be sitting in the penalty box all the time.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:If the STL line cools off there could be big trouble scoring enough.
If anyone's top scoring line cooled off they'd be in trouble.

If the forwards remain healthy, I don't think we'll have trouble scoring enough goals to win games, even if the STL line cools off. We have the depth and they are due to pick it up a bit more anyway.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cprice12 wrote:If anyone's top scoring line cooled off they'd be in trouble.
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winnah! Funny to see how slowly the press is coming around to what has become patently obvious to anyone paying close attention to the Blues: the STL line (with Schwartz, duh!) is the top line.

And JNE win's the Master of the Obvious award...again.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:
cprice12 wrote:If anyone's top scoring line cooled off they'd be in trouble.
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winnah! Funny to see how slowly the press is coming around to what has become patently obvious to anyone paying close attention to the Blues: the STL line (with Schwartz, duh!) is the top line.

And JNE win's the Master of the Obvious award...again.
It's like saying...
"If their #1 goalie struggles, the team is in trouble."

If the best players on your team are struggling, then chances are your team is going to struggle somewhat. I don't care what team it is.

It's not rocket surgery.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/