Blues Trade Leopold to Blue Jackets

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Blues Trade Leopold to Blue Jackets

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:Getting something other than a draft pick would have really defeated the purpose. A body we don't want to pay for a body we'd have to pay? A draft pick was the best option, and even though it's buried deep into the draft, it's not unprecedented to get someone good in the 5th round. I don't take issue with the return for a guy we were never using again anyway.
Sigh...I know...I wasn't suggesting getting a bunch of players in return. I'm just saying a 5th rounder is pretty far down the pipeline. I have to believe that a better draft pick for a proven NHL player could have been had somewhere.

Again, whatever. The salary is off the board. That's more for our main guys, so... :okman:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Shouldn't the title be, "Blues Give Leopold to Blue Jackets"?

I mean, really, a 5th rounder 2 years from now? You couldn't have gotten anything better from a team who is desperate for D help? I realize that money is the main reason for this move, but still.
It's a cap move, man. Do the rules allow you to give a guy away for nothing? If so, they might well have done that. You know the old "Future Considerations". The Blues are up against it and looking even just medium-term #91, 17 & 34 are going to have to be paid in the next few years. The ice time freed up will give some D prospects a chance to play too.

Now hoping for more desperate takers for Ott & Berglund.
I understand that. I know it was a cap move; I basically said that at the end of my comment. It's not like Leopold is garbage though. He's a veteran who's fairly dependable and would be a starter on a lot of teams. I guess we're desperate for cap space, so it makes sense to just dump some people for whatever we can get. I'm just greedy and was hoping to pick up a few bonus pieces; nothing huge, obviously, but something a bit more than a 5th rounder.
I have to agree with Viper. We really couldn't get a 4th Round pick? We had to settle for a 5th Rounder?
I can't tell if you're making fun of me now or not...lol.
No, not making fun of you. I understand completely about the salary dump and that he wasn't playing anyway, but you'd think that a bona fide NHL defenseman would garner better than a 5th round pick.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

gaijin wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
gaijin wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Shouldn't the title be, "Blues Give Leopold to Blue Jackets"?

I mean, really, a 5th rounder 2 years from now? You couldn't have gotten anything better from a team who is desperate for D help? I realize that money is the main reason for this move, but still.
It's a cap move, man. Do the rules allow you to give a guy away for nothing? If so, they might well have done that. You know the old "Future Considerations". The Blues are up against it and looking even just medium-term #91, 17 & 34 are going to have to be paid in the next few years. The ice time freed up will give some D prospects a chance to play too.

Now hoping for more desperate takers for Ott & Berglund.
I understand that. I know it was a cap move; I basically said that at the end of my comment. It's not like Leopold is garbage though. He's a veteran who's fairly dependable and would be a starter on a lot of teams. I guess we're desperate for cap space, so it makes sense to just dump some people for whatever we can get. I'm just greedy and was hoping to pick up a few bonus pieces; nothing huge, obviously, but something a bit more than a 5th rounder.
I have to agree with Viper. We really couldn't get a 4th Round pick? We had to settle for a 5th Rounder?
I can't tell if you're making fun of me now or not...lol.
No, not making fun of you. I understand completely about the salary dump and that he wasn't playing anyway, but you'd think that a bona fide NHL defenseman would garner better than a 5th round pick.
Well then I'm glad one person understands what I'm saying.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'd reckon there wasn't much of a bidding war for his services though, due to various injuries and such, they could have gotten Boston (Chara) and the Rags (McDonagh and I think also Girardi) in on the trade and driven into a higher pick. I think Army was more interested in moving him than moving him for something valuable.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I have a question about how the salary cap works.

If it's $70 mil, does that mean on any given day, you can't have enough salary on the books that it projects over $70 mil for the entire season? Or, does it mean that you can't spend more than $70 mil for the entire season?

For easy math, let's say the season was 100 days long. $700K per day would be $70 mil after 100 days. Can you spend $500K per day for the first 50 days and then $900K per day (after some acquisitions) for the next 50 days and land on $70 mil? Or are you not allowed to be over $700K for any given day?
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I do know that the voynov situation has caused LA to dress only 17 skaters several times this year related to salary cap concerns.

I suspect it's your payroll per game, actually, but IDK and IDC to look it up.

Edit: This article talks about the Kings' issues a bit.

clicky
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I do know that the voynov situation has caused LA to dress only 17 skaters several times this year related to salary cap concerns.

I suspect it's your payroll per game, actually, but IDK and IDC to look it up.

Edit: This article talks about the Kings' issues a bit.

clicky
Oh, yeah, I don't mean for somebody to look it up. My google machine is working. I thought somebody might know off the top of their head.

I didn't know about the Voynov situation with the cap. I remember hearing he got arrested, but didn't realize it was having this kind of implication.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

And, speak of the devil. He was just charged with a felony.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

cardsfan04 wrote:And, speak of the devil. He was just charged with a felony.
It's pretty interesting to watch.

Peterson is on the commissioner's exempt list, meaning his salary isn't hitting the Vikings' cap.

I'm glad the NHL is taking action, but screwing over a team because someone is a dumbass beyond the team's control isn't cool.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:And, speak of the devil. He was just charged with a felony.
It's pretty interesting to watch.

Peterson is on the commissioner's exempt list, meaning his salary isn't hitting the Vikings' cap.

I'm glad the NHL is taking action, but screwing over a team because someone is a dumbass beyond the team's control isn't cool.
Yeah, I agree. This is dumb. The league says that he can't play and that the Kings still have to pay him, yet they don't get any relief to replace him. There should be something like the NFL exempt list for situations like this.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

One last thing re: Leopold-you have to understand that the Blues priority there was to get him off the books, not to get anything in return. If we start asking for more, they might just say keep him, which is the worst case scenario here.

I've had a lot of people tell me to look at bigger context and the technicalities of the situation when I point out that Boat was worth $2.3 or $2.6 a year. Same thing here.