Blues Trade Leopold to Blue Jackets

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Blues Trade Leopold to Blue Jackets

Post by bluenotekidd »

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues Trade Leopold to Blue Jackets

Post by STLADOGG »

An NHL player for a 5th rounder?
$2,250,000.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Must mean they think Cole is ready to play more. Wish they'd call up someone younger instead of Butler and his -23 last season..

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Definitely a cap move.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

I'm not sure what JR is referring to about cap space growing. Not sure if he means more moves are coming over the next few months or if being below the cap one day adds room to the cap the next day making it progressively increase cap space.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Well that was left field. Glad Leo will get to play. He's a veteran guy and should be on the ice or moved where he can be.

Cap space. Nice.

5th rounder? /scratches head.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

STLADOGG wrote:An NHL player for a 5th rounder?
$2,250,000.
Rather get something than not play him all year and let him walk at the end.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I thought the Blues would unload Leopold much earlier. I think the catalyst was Gunnarsson returning from injury, and has lately been a presence for our blue line. The rumors are now going to circulate around how the extra cap space can be used best. Personally, I think this should be used to facilitate a lucrative round table discussion with boardroom professionalist arrangements.

But seriously, Berglund is approaching Brewer's intimidating presence. It is difficult to see how the Blues / Armstrong could get fair value for him. Straight up... Berglund for Chris Stewart? What about.... Trade Berglund for picks and bring back SoboCop?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Those fretting on how we are going to sign Senko, here is step one. Even if we make a "buy now" move at the deadline, it won't hurt us in the long run. Reall, we get cap space, a low pick, and Leopold can stop rotting in the press box. I'm fine with it. It's not Earth shattering but not every trade is. Curious to see if Army has something else up his sleeve in the next month or two.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This is definitely step one. Never liked Leopold being on the team anyway.

Now to clear up another 6 or 7 mil to guarantee Vova retention.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Yeah, agreed it's definitely step 1. I'm curious what step 2 is and when we'll see it. Is step 2 more cap space, a trade before the deadline, or using the cap space for offseason signings.

I doubt we see step 2 for awhile though. If we could trade Berglund or Ott to free up some more space, I'd be all for it. I'm not as down on Ott as some of you are though. I think there's a really big contrast between Ott last year and this year.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:Yeah, agreed it's definitely step 1. I'm curious what step 2 is and when we'll see it. Is step 2 more cap space, a trade before the deadline, or using the cap space for offseason signings.

I doubt we see step 2 for awhile though. If we could trade Berglund or Ott to free up some more space, I'd be all for it. I'm not as down on Ott as some of you are though. I think there's a really big contrast between Ott last year and this year.
If it were at all possible, I'd swap Ott out and Barbashev in right now.

The Flake
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by The Flake »

Great News!! I was never sold on Leopold (above most of the other D talent we had now or at the time of the trade...especially for the money) Same for Ott. I don't care for either on the Blues. Hopefully he is next.

I'm pulling for Berglund to get his head out of his butt but I'm afraid he is next in line to depart. As opposed to others on this board, I still believe he has some value to another team in the open market.
Remember,
Amateurs built the ark ....
Professionals built the Titanic

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Yeah, agreed it's definitely step 1. I'm curious what step 2 is and when we'll see it. Is step 2 more cap space, a trade before the deadline, or using the cap space for offseason signings.

If it were at all possible, I'd swap Ott out and Barbashev in right now.
Every time I hear his name I think of Barbasol.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

glen a richter wrote:If it were at all possible, I'd swap Ott out and Barbashev in right now.
Agreed. Ott isn't as useless as he was when playing hurt last year but his $2.7 cap hit is ridiculous for a nailed-on 4th liner with very little scoring upside who takes penalties but doesn't fight. He's no more productive than Reaves, has less energy and costs more than twice as much. Leopold falls into the same boat for me and, honestly maybe even Berglund. All guys who the Blues may hope look more valuable to other teams than us who will then take them off our hands despite their somewhat significant salaries. I think #21's gonna have to score some before that happens though. Three years at $3.6 per is something most teams will think long & hard about before taking.

Good move to clear space; he's basically another Jackman and one of those is quite enough, thanks. As for Butler, he'll be a healthy scratch and the prospects can keep getting ice time. This means more time for Cole. We'll see how that works out...

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Shouldn't the title be, "Blues Give Leopold to Blue Jackets"?

I mean, really, a 5th rounder 2 years from now? You couldn't have gotten anything better from a team who is desperate for D help? I realize that money is the main reason for this move, but still.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Shouldn't the title be, "Blues Give Leopold to Blue Jackets"?

I mean, really, a 5th rounder 2 years from now? You couldn't have gotten anything better from a team who is desperate for D help? I realize that money is the main reason for this move, but still.
It's a cap move, man. Do the rules allow you to give a guy away for nothing? If so, they might well have done that. You know the old "Future Considerations". The Blues are up against it and looking even just medium-term #91, 17 & 34 are going to have to be paid in the next few years. The ice time freed up will give some D prospects a chance to play too.

Now hoping for more desperate takers for Ott & Berglund.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ecbm wrote:

It's a cap move, man. Do the rules allow you to give a guy away for nothing? If so, they might well have done that. You know the old "Future Considerations". The Blues are up against it and looking even just medium-term #91, 17 & 34 are going to have to be paid in the next few years. The ice time freed up will give some D prospects a chance to play too.

I understand that. I know it was a cap move; I basically said that at the end of my comment. It's not like Leopold is garbage though. He's a veteran who's fairly dependable and would be a starter on a lot of teams. I guess we're desperate for cap space, so it makes sense to just dump some people for whatever we can get. I'm just greedy and was hoping to pick up a few bonus pieces; nothing huge, obviously, but something a bit more than a 5th rounder.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I understand that. I know it was a cap move; I basically said that at the end of my comment. It's not like Leopold is garbage though. He's a veteran who's fairly dependable and would be a starter on a lot of teams. I guess we're desperate for cap space, so it makes sense to just dump some people for whatever we can get. I'm just greedy and was hoping to pick up a few bonus pieces; nothing huge, obviously, but something a bit more than a 5th rounder.
I have to agree with Viper. We really couldn't get a 4th Round pick? We had to settle for a 5th Rounder?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Getting something other than a draft pick would have really defeated the purpose. A body we don't want to pay for a body we'd have to pay? A draft pick was the best option, and even though it's buried deep into the draft, it's not unprecedented to get someone good in the 5th round. I don't take issue with the return for a guy we were never using again anyway.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

gaijin wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
ecbm wrote:

I have to agree with Viper. We really couldn't get a 4th Round pick? We had to settle for a 5th Rounder?
I can't tell if you're making fun of me now or not...lol.