Ryan Miller

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Do you blame a majority of last season's playoff outcome on Ryan Miller?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 23

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Ryan Miller

Post by ViPeRx007 »

drwoland wrote:Ffs team just put together a 7 game winning streak while dealing with a ton of injuries, our 22 year old phenom is all over national sports media, our goalies are playing great....

.... And the top thread on lgb is still a bunch of sour grapes about Ryan fn miller.

We don't need to win a cup, we wouldn't know what to do with it. What would we lament then?????

:facepalm:
Uhh. This isn't really a thread about sour grapes. I just wanted to know what people really thought because Miller, himself, has been in the media lately for playing so well for the Canucks. And a lot of the talk stems from last season's collapse and how St. Louis fans blame him; to me it paints the fan-base and the team as a whole as bitter (not that we don't have some reason to be a little bitter in general. Our playoff performances have never been wonderful, obviously). The stories always make it seem like he's being fueled by us shunning him, when I don't think most people even did that and these media people are just using it to make a happy feel-good story.

And yes, I know, this would hardly be the first time that the media has embellished something, but still.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Miller was also put into the often unfortunate situation of being expected to act as savior for the Blues. This sort of thing happens all the time in New York. Players come to the NY teams for the limelight and end up falling face first because they can't handle the pressure.

Would Miller have been successful if he re-signed during the offseason and had an entire year to get himself together? I guess that's something we can't answer though I'm sure he wouldn't have been awful. And anyway, I'm happier with the goalie tandem we have now than any in recent memory. Honestly, Elliott/Allen and the way in which they're both being used reminds me of Vanbiesbrouck/Richter in the early 90's for the Rags. We all know how that ended when Richter got the reins in 1994.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

It should remind you of Wamsley and Millen for the Blues. They were a very good tandem and I know at least 1 of them was involved in the Monday Night Miracle season.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:It should remind you of Wamsley and Millen for the Blues. They were a very good tandem and I know at least 1 of them was involved in the Monday Night Miracle season.
[youtube][/youtube]
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

St. Louis Blues 2013-14, through January 9: 43GP, 31-7-4, 67pts 1.56pts/GP

St. Louis Blues 2013-14, January 10-April 13: 39GP, 21-16-2, 44pts, 1.13pts/GP (this despite going 6-2 in OT/SO as compared to 6-5 before that)

The Blues were declining before Miller arrived. It was down to a lot of things, such as the disappearance of Backes' & Steen's goals and a suddenly porous defense. Miller didn't help, and I think that's not surprising given his position, but it would be foolish to blame the way the season ended on him. Backes & Steen: 60G in regular, 1 in playoffs. Bouwmeester: +26 regular season, -1 playoffs. Petro & Shatty: 78 regular season assists, 3 in the playoffs. And so on.

As far as outlets like ESPN go, Miller is just a manufactured story. And idiotic fans everywhere always blame the goalie. I'd just let it go...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

If you read asinine Facebook and STL Today comments after articles, then yes...St. Louis fans think Miller cost them the series last year.
If you actually watched the series, you'd see that Miller was not the reason we lost.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

It's always easy to blame it on the goalie. It's "his fault" every single goal goes in, right?

I agree with a lot of what others have said: Miller could've played better but virtually everyone on our roster not named Tarasenko could've played better. Ott was atrocious. Nobody could score a damn goal other than Tank... I was encouraged at the start of the series against the Hawks but it was the same crap, different season: lack of killer instinct, inability to finish games, and CRITICAL lack of timely goals when they were needed the most. The last four games just looked like the Blues never fell into a good pace or rhythm. There'd be flashes here and there, even dominating certain periods, but it was never sustained and we never got the puck in the net during those aforementioned times when it WAS clicking. When you have your opportunities in the playoffs, you have to capitalize. We didn't. Hawks did. Not much more complicated than that.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Oshie and Backes were players who needed to step it up but didn't. I think they each only had 1 goal the entire series and that's not good enough.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Oshie and Backes were players who needed to step it up but didn't. I think they each only had 1 goal the entire series and that's not good enough.
What does your professor think?
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Oshie and Backes were players who needed to step it up but didn't. I think they each only had 1 goal the entire series and that's not good enough.
Isn't that about what they've scored so far this season too?

:?

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

ViPeRx007 wrote:

But if you want to beat the best teams in the playoffs, like the 2 time Cup champ Hawks, players need to step up and they didn't.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

But if you want to beat the best teams in the playoffs, like the 2 time Cup champ Hawks, players need to step up and they didn't.
I know. That's what you said the first time. I was actually agreeing with you.

Also, the Hawks have won more than 2 Cups, but thanks for bringing that up.

This is why people don't get along with you here.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:This is why people don't get along with you here.
This needs to be a t-shirt.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

But this current Hawks team has won 2 cups. The core is mostly the same. A Cup winning Hawks team from the 1960s has little relevance today.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:But this current Hawks team has won 2 cups. The core is mostly the same. A Cup winning Hawks team from the 1960s has little relevance today.
I mean, really?

Like hockey much?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:But this current Hawks team has won 2 cups. The core is mostly the same. A Cup winning Hawks team from the 1960s has little relevance today.
Actually, the Hawks had a number of players leave after the first cup win due to management screwing up their cap situation. They couldn't afford to keep a few key guys.
They lost Niemi in that offseason. Which turned out to be ok, since they don't need stellar goaltending on most nights. But still, you f'd up when you win a cup for the first time in decades and then you can't keep your starting goalie in the offseason. I wonder how many times that has happened? A team wins a cup for the first time in forever, and their goalie bolts after the season is over.
I remember laughing about that...and then well shit...they still won another cup not long after that. :x
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Have to agree with jne on this. You can't bring up things from ancient history. The Hawks may have won cups in the 60's but that bears no relevance today. It's just like saying the Yankees won a boatload of world series titles in the 1st half of the 20th century, but until you re-animate Babe, Lou and Joe in their prime it doesn't mean shit about today.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

cprice12 wrote:
Actually, the Hawks had a number of players leave after the first cup win due to management screwing up their cap situation. They couldn't afford to keep a few key guys.
They lost Niemi in that offseason. Which turned out to be ok, since they don't need stellar goaltending on most nights. But still, you f'd up when you win a cup for the first time in decades and then you can't keep your starting goalie in the offseason. I wonder how many times that has happened? A team wins a cup for the first time in forever, and their goalie bolts after the season is over.
I remember laughing about that...and then well shit...they still won another cup not long after that. :x
I don't have the lineups in front of me but they had Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, and also maybe Hossa for both Cups. Maybe Shaw and Versteeg too? Regardless just those 4 are a pretty damn good core and even if they never win another Cup in the near future 2 Cups is pretty good!

Blues fans would jump off the Arch for that! :grin:

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
I don't have the lineups in front of me but they had Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, and also maybe Hossa for both Cups. Maybe Shaw and Versteeg too? Regardless just those 4 are a pretty damn good core and even if they never win another Cup in the near future 2 Cups is pretty good!

Blues fans would jump off the Arch for that! :grin:
Not a single person in that shit hole town cared about the Hawks until 2010.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

So a month later, Miller is back to being the player he was for the Blues.

Canucks are in a tailspin and Miller has been awful. Super terrible bad. Like 5 GA on 23 SA the other day.

Again, kudos to our front office for walking away from this disaster.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman