GDT #13: 11/6/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Devils | FSMW/NHLN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #13: 11/6/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Devils | FSMW/NHLN/KMO

Post by dmiles2186 »

Sidenote: I miss Pierre Turgeon. My favorite Blue and I feel like he's forgotten in his time here. Also, he's got like 1300 points and he's not in the HOF.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Ya, idk what that's about. Dude was fantastic for many, many years. Couple of 100 point seasons.

So that's a good trivia... among eligible players (Jagr still plays, Recchi has another year) who has the most points and is NOT in the hhof?
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

If Turgeon wasn't derailed by Hunter's hit, he'd never have worn the note because his numbers would have stayed high enough that the Islanders would have never let him go. He WAS New York. Isles fans adored him, and with good reason. The guy was amazing.

I have two sisters: one is a Rangers fan because she loved Adam Graves, the other is an Islanders fan because she loved Pierre Turgeon. The latter is more consistent with why a lot of people became or stayed Islanders fans after the run in the 80's came to an end. Turgeon gave them hope.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Regarding Hunter's personality-if the hockey HoF voting guidelines are like baseball's then character is explicitly something the voters are supposed to consider. Also, just sayin', points-wise he was a bit of an accumulator. He wouldn't have hit 1K without his last seven sub-40 point seasons from ages 33-39.

I honestly don't care much about the HoF. Great players are great players and most fans don't need someone to point them out-like Turgeon. I didn't realize he isn't in the hall and don't really care. He can center a line on my team any time!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Yep, just checked the HHoF web page and character is indeed a criterion to be considered.

Might be a long wait for Mr. Hunter...

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ecbm wrote:Regarding Hunter's personality-if the hockey HoF voting guidelines are like baseball's then character is explicitly something the voters are supposed to consider. Also, just sayin', points-wise he was a bit of an accumulator. He wouldn't have hit 1K without his last seven sub-40 point seasons from ages 33-39.

I honestly don't care much about the HoF. Great players are great players and most fans don't need someone to point them out-like Turgeon. I didn't realize he isn't in the hall and don't really care. He can center a line on my team any time!
If they went on numbers alone, Barry Bonds, roger Clemens and probably Mark McGwire would all be in the HOF. Their poor character and poor judgment kept, and will continue to keep, all of them out forever. I'd imagine the same goes for Hunter.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

glen a richter wrote:
ecbm wrote:Regarding Hunter's personality-if the hockey HoF voting guidelines are like baseball's then character is explicitly something the voters are supposed to consider. Also, just sayin', points-wise he was a bit of an accumulator. He wouldn't have hit 1K without his last seven sub-40 point seasons from ages 33-39.

If they went on numbers alone, Barry Bonds, roger Clemens and probably Mark McGwire would all be in the HOF. Their poor character and poor judgment kept, and will continue to keep, all of them out forever. I'd imagine the same goes for Hunter.
I'm going to disagree with you on the baseball analogy. Those guys CHEATED. I think that's a totally different category. I would have put Bonds in the hall if his only flaw was being an asshole.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
glen a richter wrote:If they went on numbers alone, Barry Bonds, roger Clemens and probably Mark McGwire would all be in the HOF. Their poor character and poor judgment kept, and will continue to keep, all of them out forever. I'd imagine the same goes for Hunter.
I'm going to disagree with you on the baseball analogy. Those guys CHEATED. I think that's a totally different category. I would have put Bonds in the hall if his only flaw was being an asshole.
I guess I'd put cheating in the same category as poor character and judgement, but, alas, I agree with you both. I do wonder about the popularity aspect of things though in regards to choosing players. If it's a Hall of Fame for a sport, they should go in for their numbers and their numbers alone. If they cheat, that should obviously have an effect, but where do you draw the line? If you have two guys with identical numbers and one pets kittens and the other kicks them, do you shun the kitten kicker and let the other guy in or let them both in?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

I can see where cheating is an aspect of character, but I think it's different than being an asshole on the ice.

The player in question was also noted to be a very nice guy off the ice - he just played hockey with a super-hard edge and sometimes crossed the line. Obviously, from all the minutes, he didn't shy away from his fights either. That's hockey, not character.

Bonds et al. used drugs to break sacred records - there's no comparison in my book between that and a late hit.