GDT #12: 11/4/14 | 6:30PM CST | @ Devils | NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #12: 11/4/14 | 6:30PM CST | @ Devils | NBCSN/KMOX

Post by glen a richter »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Tarasenko can't keep this up forever....can he?

At some point we need more guys involved. I'm happy with the wins, but they could easily be flipped the other way.

I don't have any explanation for the Ott/Berglund thing either unless it's a way to try to get them going...but, they aren't the guys we need to get going. We need Steen, Backes, Oshie and Stastny to pick it up. I know Oshie and Stastny are out, but Oshie wasn't doing anything before his injury (maybe this is a blessing in disguise for him and he'll come back strong). Stastny we don't even really know what we have in him yet.

Bottom line, we have a lot of major players who haven't really done a whole lot so far. I guess I'll take the slow starts if it means they ramp it up at the end.
What's he at? 7G in last 5 games or something? I doubt that pace keeps up, but I do suspect that we're seeing his true breakout season into superstardom.

The rest of the team definitely needs to start picking it up though. My half-full view is that if we're winning while many of our key guys are hurt, sick, or just not producing as expected, we're going to be really really good when the team gels more. I think this team is built for a Cup run better than the past few years because we have the same core with more scoring punch.
I'm more comfortable with the goaltending too. I know the sample size is small and people will still disagree with me, but Allen is a fundamentally sound goalie who's apt to make some highlight reel saves and I think he's better than Elliott. No disrespect to Elliott who's also very good, but Allen has top flight superstar goalie written all over him. I'd be shocked if he's not the #1 by seasons end.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

At some point we need more guys involved. I'm happy with the wins, but they could easily be flipped the other way.

I don't have any explanation for the Ott/Berglund thing either unless it's a way to try to get them going...but, they aren't the guys we need to get going. We need Steen, Backes, Oshie and Stastny to pick it up. I know Oshie and Stastny are out, but Oshie wasn't doing anything before his injury (maybe this is a blessing in disguise for him and he'll come back strong). Stastny we don't even really know what we have in him yet.

Bottom line, we have a lot of major players who haven't really done a whole lot so far. I guess I'll take the slow starts if it means they ramp it up at the end.
What's he at? 7G in last 5 games or something? I doubt that pace keeps up, but I do suspect that we're seeing his true breakout season into superstardom.

The rest of the team definitely needs to start picking it up though. My half-full view is that if we're winning while many of our key guys are hurt, sick, or just not producing as expected, we're going to be really really good when the team gels more. I think this team is built for a Cup run better than the past few years because we have the same core with more scoring punch.
I'm more comfortable with the goaltending too. I know the sample size is small and people will still disagree with me, but Allen is a fundamentally sound goalie who's apt to make some highlight reel saves and I think he's better than Elliott. No disrespect to Elliott who's also very good, but Allen has top flight superstar goalie written all over him. I'd be shocked if he's not the #1 by seasons end.
I've thought this same thing but I'm scared to acknowledge it for fear that Allen will have an unexpected meltdown ala Manny Legace. But the more I see of Allen, the more I can tell he's got a technique that's going to carry him a long way.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

dmiles2186 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:

I've thought this same thing but I'm scared to acknowledge it for fear that Allen will have an unexpected meltdown ala Manny Legace. But the more I see of Allen, the more I can tell he's got a technique that's going to carry him a long way.
Just keep him away from Sarah Palin and we're all good.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Keep Ott off the skilled lines and keep the lines consistant and the team is ridiculously dangerous and mighty. Allen & Ells looks ten times more dangerous than the Halak & Ells connection. Who would have thought that Lehtera was the real Go-To guy over Stastny? Hell, Berglund is throwing his weight around, he just needs to net one and build some confidence.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Oaklandblue wrote:Keep Ott off the skilled lines and keep the lines consistant and the team is ridiculously dangerous and mighty. Allen & Ells looks ten times more dangerous than the Halak & Ells connection. Who would have thought that Lehtera was the real Go-To guy over Stastny? Hell, Berglund is throwing his weight around, he just needs to net one and build some confidence.
Not to fly my own kite, or whatever the saying is, but I might have said something close to this. I don't know if I said he'd be better than Stastny, and that's still TBD anyway, but I remember saying something along the lines of how he could have way more of an impact than anyone (mostly the media "experts") would realize; they usually just mentioned him in passing like it was a minor addition. I was actually more excited for him that Stastny. The reason being that he was kind of an unknown, but I knew he had potential and the previous Tarasenko chemistry was intriguing. It's not saying I wasn't also excited about getting Stastny, it's just that we kind of already knew what we would be getting from him.

I still think that Stastny will probably outscore him, but that's what is supposed to happen. I'm still thrilled about Lehtera. He's only a handful of games into his North American career, is adjusting nicely, and will only get better with more experience.

I also agree about Berglund. As tough of a time as we all give the guy, he's been noticeable lately...in a good way for a change. He seems to be moving around and generating more chances. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Can't say anything bad about Allen or Elliott either. Both are stopping pucks and just doing their jobs. What else do you want?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Keep Ott off the skilled lines and keep the lines consistant and the team is ridiculously dangerous and mighty. Allen & Ells looks ten times more dangerous than the Halak & Ells connection. Who would have thought that Lehtera was the real Go-To guy over Stastny? Hell, Berglund is throwing his weight around, he just needs to net one and build some confidence.
Not to fly my own kite, or whatever the saying is, but I might have said something close to this. I don't know if I said he'd be better than Stastny, and that's still TBD anyway, but I remember saying something along the lines of how he could have way more of an impact than anyone (mostly the media "experts") would realize; they usually just mentioned him in passing like it was a minor addition. I was actually more excited for him that Stastny. The reason being that he was kind of an unknown, but I knew he had potential and the previous Tarasenko chemistry was intriguing. It's not saying I wasn't also excited about getting Stastny, it's just that we kind of already knew what we would be getting from him.

I still think that Stastny will probably outscore him, but that's what is supposed to happen. I'm still thrilled about Lehtera. He's only a handful of games into his North American career, is adjusting nicely, and will only get better with more experience.

I also agree about Berglund. As tough of a time as we all give the guy, he's been noticeable lately...in a good way for a change. He seems to be moving around and generating more chances. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Can't say anything bad about Allen or Elliott either. Both are stopping pucks and just doing their jobs. What else do you want?
I haven't kept up with the boards beyond light skimming as of late, so if I somehow did ape your quote, I apologize. Watching the games, I'm just simply...amazed...by how Frank and him click so perfectly. This isn't a reason for Schwartz, Steen or the others to step back from scoring, and I really hope they don't take that as a cue of sorts to do so. Reaves has been in total beast mode to make up for quite abit of that lol.

Man, watching these guys as of late has been a real blast.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

I haven't kept up with the boards beyond light skimming as of late, so if I somehow did ape your quote, I apologize. Watching the games, I'm just simply...amazed...by how Frank and him click so perfectly. This isn't a reason for Schwartz, Steen or the others to step back from scoring, and I really hope they don't take that as a cue of sorts to do so. Reaves has been in total beast mode to make up for quite abit of that lol.

I also commented a bunch of times that Lehtera would prove to be the bigger signing. Small sample size, but I still think that.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

I think it's generally true that astute Blues fans realized Letehra was a more important signing than the national sports media suggested. I said it right here that the extent to which the roster is improved or not will largely depend on Letehra after Sobotka left. He's benefiting from his chemistry with 91 but he very much looks the part in his own right. If Stastny can come back and be a effective this squad suddenly has depth at center and several dangerous goal scorers. As easy as it would have been to flip many of the recent wins to losses, I don't feel like this streak is a fluke. I do want to see others involved and occasionally see this team rout a good opponent and make a statement. Hopefully that's coming...

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Oaklandblue wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

Oh no worries. Like I said, I don't think I flat out said he would do awesome, I was just optimistic about it, especially when everyone was getting down about Sobotka bolting. I felt like Lehtera would take some of that sting out. I'm just glad it's happened.

Still wish we had Boat, but that's another story....
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko