What to do?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Frusciante
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

What to do?

Post by Frusciante »

So Hitch has been doing his usual line-juggling so far this season, maybe even more than usual because of injuries and illness throughout the roster. So far, the only really productive line has been the one including Lehterä and Tarasenko. No matter who's played with those guys, they've been productive in creating scoring chances and finishing them off. Now, while I understand that Hitch wants to find his recipe for success during these weeks of a shortened roster, my question is what it will look like when everyone's back. I know this is the most common topic of discussion on most boards (line-combos), but I think the Blues will have a, albeit nice, problem once Oshie and Stastny returns. Plus, it's one of the things that are most fun to discuss.

In my mind, the only thing that is sure so far is that Lehterä and Tarasenko will play together. Everything else is up in the air. The thing is, we have 7 forwards (Backes, Steen, Oshie, Schwartz, Tarasenko, Lehterä and Stastny) that are really top 6 material, so the question is who of these players will play the 3rd line? Or do you move up say Lindström, and try to create three even lines? I'm of the opinion that we have two set lines that have shown definite chemistry and success in this league:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehterä-Tarasenko

Now, I would love to see these two lines play consistently, but what to make of Stastny? Would he play with Lindström and Berglund? While that might increase the production of Bergs and Lindström, it sure seems like a waste of his talent (and contract for that matter). So what to do?

Steen-Stastny-Schwartz
Lindström-Lehterä-Tarasenko
Berglund-Backes-Oshie

Maybe?

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Re: What to do?

Post by ecbm »

Interesting question/propositions but to be honest, first and foremost I want to see less of Berglund. Ok, he can play a role but top line/top PP minutes...well, I'm just shaking my head.

And I'm generally not a fan of Hitch's juggling. I find it incompetent for a coach not to know who is his best line on a team he's been in charge of long enough for it to be his completely. Finally, Stastny is a first-line center and I've felt for a while that putting Backes there is putting a square peg in a round hole. He score sometimes but not consistently.

Schwartz-Letehra-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Lindstrom
Oshie-Backes-Berglund/Pajaarvi/some kid*
Reaves-Lapierre-Ott

*In my opinion, the FO has whiffed on some talent identification if there's nobody in the minors who can take some minutes from these guys, though I've liked what I've seen from Pajaarvi this season a lot better than last-looks less tentative in traffic.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

The team needs to get healthy first, for one thing. They haven't even played a single game with their full roster yet, that I'm aware of.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:The team needs to get healthy first, for one thing. They haven't even played a single game with their full roster yet, that I'm aware of.
I was going to say opening night but Gunnarsson was hurt, then Stastny got hurt in game 2, then Oshie/Backes in the same game. So yeah, I guess they've never been completely healthy thus far.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:The team needs to get healthy first, for one thing. They haven't even played a single game with their full roster yet, that I'm aware of.
I was going to say opening night but Gunnarsson was hurt, then Stastny got hurt in game 2, then Oshie/Backes in the same game. So yeah, I guess they've never been completely healthy thus far.
Plus there was the EbolafluenzAIDS that they just recently said seems to have run it's course. That was just last game I think they announced that, or maybe it was the one before. Either way, I can at least justify this iteration of the line juggling with all of this going on. Frankly, it's kind of amazing they have the record they do. If people want to jump off the wagon, though, because we lost 1 out of our last 8 games, I'm not going to stop them...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko