GDT #6: 10/23/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Canucks | FSMW/NHLN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #6: 10/23/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Canucks | FSMW/NHLN/KMOX

Post by dmiles2186 »

CANUCKS (3-2-0) at BLUES (2-2-1)

TV: NHLN-US, SNV, FS-MW

Season series: The Vancouver Canucks swept three games against the St. Louis Blues last season, with each game decided by a single goal. Jannik Hansen scored and Eddie Lack made 20 saves for his third career shutout in a 1-0 win Feb. 26, the last time the teams played.

Canucks team scope: A three-game, four-night road trip got off to a poor start Tuesday as Vancouver trailed the Dallas Stars 6-1 less than five minutes into the second period en route to a 6-3 loss.

The Canucks will try to salvage the trip by picking up points Thursday and the finale of the trip Friday against the Colorado Avalanche. Lack could be in line to spell starter Ryan Miller in one of the two games. Miller finished last season playing for the Blues. Only a handful of players, along with both goalies, took part in an optional skate Wednesday.

The Canucks started the season with three straight wins but now are looking to avoid a three-game skid after giving up 10 goals in losses to the Tampa Bay Lightning and Stars. "We played two pretty good teams," coach Willie Desjardins said. "If you have to score four every night to win … that's a lot. We need to be better defensively."

Blues team scope: Goaltender Jake Allen is slated to make his second start of the season Thursday. Allen was impressive in his first NHL game since the 2012-13 season, stopping 24 shots in a 6-1 win against the Arizona Coyotes on Oct. 18.

The lineup that surrounds Allen is somewhat up in the air, coach Ken Hitchcock said Wednesday, thanks to a flu bug that is affecting several players, forward Alexander Steen among them. Magnus Paajarvi skated in Steen's place at practice on a line with Patrik Berglund and Joakim Lindstrom.

Center Jori Lehtera, who missed practice Tuesday with the flu, was back skating Wednesday.

Center Paul Stastny, who is out with an upper-body injury, was termed "week-to-week" by Hitchcock.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #6: 10/23/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Canucks | FSMW/NHLN/KM

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I really hope Miller gets the start and the Blues are able to embarrass that clown.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Oh right. Yeah, I remember that game when the Blues made Eddie Lack look like Eddie Belfour circa 1990. One of the early lows of the Blues' late-season swoon. No matter what happens, gonna be on pins & needles this season until the spring...
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I really hope Miller gets the start and the Blues are able to embarrass that clown.
I assume Miller will be too worked up to start. :cry:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I don't really have any ill feelings toward Miller himself- I'm more upset that management gave up assets to try and upgrade goaltending rather than offense at the trade deadline (and now we have nothing to show for it).

That said, like any opposing goalie, I hope the Blues chase him.

2 points, please. :letsgoblues:

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Just win the dang game. We need to get the ebola out of our locker room and start drinking more orange juice.

Oshie gets at least one point tonight. Bank on it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

Jeebus Christ....

:facepalm:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Looks like Doug Armstrong spent the offseason doing what he does best: making teams worse.

I'll give him and Hitch about ten more games. But this crap is absolutely unacceptable.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

H-Town Blues
Rookie
Rookie

Post by H-Town Blues »

We just weren't good enough tonight.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Not sure what I just watched.
Saturday is going to be ugly

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

You could clearly tell the Canuckles move the puck around a lot better than the Blues especially on the PP.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Looks like Doug Armstrong spent the offseason doing what he does best: making teams worse.

I'll give him and Hitch about ten more games. But this crap is absolutely unacceptable.
I started to write, "Don't be a dick. He was aggressive and signed two damn good centers. The offseason was solid." Then I remembered the Berglund/Sobotka/Ott fiasco. I'm missing Sobotka something fierce right now. I wouldn't miss those other two in any scenario, especially Ott and those 2.6 million bucks.

I don't see Hitch/Army going anywhere, but I'm with you to an extent: 10 games, get over this bug, and let's see where they're at. Seeing the red Saturday and hearing them celebrate would be a bitter pill to swallow again. Luckily the Preds are really the only Central team leaving the Blues behind, but they've got to give themselves something to build on.

Glass half full:Cheers to 91. I love that dude.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Toasted Oates wrote:
Nyghtewynd wrote:Looks like Doug Armstrong spent the offseason doing what he does best: making teams worse.

I started to write, "Don't be a dick. He was aggressive and signed two damn good centers. The offseason was solid." Then I remembered the Berglund/Sobotka/Ott fiasco. I'm missing Sobotka something fierce right now. I wouldn't miss those other two in any scenario, especially Ott and those 2.6 million bucks.

I don't see Hitch/Army going anywhere, but I'm with you to an extent: 10 games, get over this bug, and let's see where they're at. Seeing the red Saturday and hearing them celebrate would be a bitter pill to swallow again. Luckily the Preds are really the only Central team leaving the Blues behind, but they've got to give themselves something to build on.

Glass half full:Cheers to 91. I love that dude.
The Preds are the #2 team in the West where the Blues are #10. And the Preds are majorly built out of cheap leftovers like Ribs and players like Neal, Weber and Rinne. Where are we missing the boat here (no pun intended)? In my eyes, the big problem is Poor Asset Management, on the ice. Don't believe me?

Steve Ott on the first line.

I rest my case.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I say we overreact about an injured/sick, terribly scheduled Blues team and then reconvene about, oh, let's just say a month from now, when we can overreact about a moderate winning streak and start planning our Stanley Cup parties. The pendulum, she's a-swayin...
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

Miller played like the goalie we wanted him to last night... He was the difference.

Had plenty of chances. Just couldn't get them to the back of the net.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I say we overreact about an injured/sick, terribly scheduled Blues team and then reconvene about, oh, let's just say a month from now, when we can overreact about a moderate winning streak and start planning our Stanley Cup parties. The pendulum, she's a-swayin...
I came here to say the same thing. Half the locker room is sick. Our #1 free agent pickup is hurt. We're only 6 games into the season and have played an inconsistent schedule.

But yeah, let's fire Hitch in 10 games if this doesn't shape up!

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I say we overreact about an injured/sick, terribly scheduled Blues team and then reconvene about, oh, let's just say a month from now, when we can overreact about a moderate winning streak and start planning our Stanley Cup parties. The pendulum, she's a-swayin...
+infinity

I guarantee whichever team wins the Cup this year will have a stretch in which they go 2-3-1, and they'll probably do it without their top FA pickup out and 1/2 the lockerroom sick.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
+infinity

I guarantee whichever team wins the Cup this year will have a stretch in which they go 2-3-1, and they'll probably do it without their top FA pickup out and 1/2 the lockerroom sick.
:plusplus:

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

So in ten more games, if we keep the same pace, and we're something like 5-7-2, and double-digit points behind NSH, you're good with that?
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:So in ten more games, if we keep the same pace, and we're something like 5-7-2, and double-digit points behind NSH, you're good with that?
-I would never be satisfied with a losing record, especially from a team that should be a Cup contender
-A lot of my point was that it's a 6 game sample size. I didn't say (nor did anybody else) that this pace is acceptable longterm.
-I don't know the exact breaking point, but as the sample size increases, if the results are the same, I will become less and less fine with it. It's hard to define an exact date or game number, because there are so many unknowns between now and a hypothetical date. I'm fairly certain 5-7-2 wouldn't be my panic point though.

Also, I'm not worried about Nashville. Just as our 6 game sample is really small, so is their 7 game sample. Every year a team that ends up being bad starts out hot. And every year a team that ends up being good starts out slow. We might be discussing those 2 teams right now.

I think a big difference in how we view it is that I see a 6 game sample in which we underperformed. You (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) see a 6 game sample and think about how bad it will be if the pace is maintained. I don't see this pace being maintained, so I'm not worried about how that would be.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

KrustyKevo
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by KrustyKevo »

:^(
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”