GDT #1: 10/9/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Rangers | FSMW/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT #1: 10/9/14 | 7:00PM CST | v Rangers | FSMW/KMOX

Post by STLADOGG »

Balls.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I think it's going to take a minute to figure out this team with all the new faces up front on the scoring lines. I think there's a ton of potential here, but let's see what happens going forward.

Not the start I was hoping for, but I'd rather start slow and finish strong rather than the other way around.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

glen a richter wrote:How can they be losing to the Rangers? Unacceptable!
What do you mean? The Rangers are Conference Champions! That's something the Blues haven't done since forever!

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
What do you mean? The Rangers are Conference Champions! That's something the Blues haven't done since forever!
I hope you get aids.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:Too many defensive breakdowns, and Elliott was not good enough. Make a big save.

I understand the GLG was fluky, but don't put yourself in that position.
Dude...what game were you watching? If not for Elliott in NY's 16 shot first period, the game would have been over before it started. He made tons of big saves. All 3 goals were due to defensive miscues. Turnover by Shattenkirk, no one accounting for Kreider, and while lucky, the weird knucklepuck off the glass from Petro with only Bouw back...

On top of that, there were way more defensive miscues that Elliott bailed out due to 'big saves.'

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

F Keenan wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I hope you get aids.
Lol I wish JesusNEVERexitedNEVERexisted.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Tarasenko and Schwartz man oh man... Tarasenko might be a perennial 30+ goal scorer. Silky hands. Schwartz may not have as much raw talent that Tarasenko has but he just keeps making plays. I'm pumped for both of these kids.

None of those 3 goals were Elliott's fault. You give Nash an open look in the slot and what do you really expect is going to happen? Breakaway goal (never a goalie's fault unless it's just abysmal, which Kreider's wasn't), and then Bouwmeester just misses stopping the centering pass, with another wide open look. I'd say those three go in regardless of who's in net.

Just sucks to start on the wrong side of the W-L column and especially at home. :?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

STLADOGG wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
I hope you get aids.
Lol I wish JesusNEVERexitedNEVERexisted.
Even I said that!
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Frustrating game, but I think we should have won.

1st period: We were bad. I'm chalking this up to nerves, home opener and all.
2nd period: Started ok, and got better as the period progressed. I think we started to settle in somewhere around the midway point.
3rd period: We dominated, but made a mistake that led to a breakaway and had that fluky bounce.

Elliott was solid. None of the goals were his fault. If he stops 1 of those, we're remembering that save as we get a point. If he stops 2, we're talking about how Elliott stole us a game. If he stops all 3, well, nobody stops all 3.

Overall, I think the team in the 3rd period is what we'll see going forward more often than not. Still a little sloppy, but I think there are positives to take from this game. I guess I'd rather have points, but still.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

We had a bad start to the game. It seemed like the chemistry wasn't there at all. Dishing the puck into open areas that we usually swoop into and continue possession just wasn't happening...the Rangers got their first or we weren't even in the vicinity.
I found myself frustrated for most of the first two periods.

Shattenkirk's turnover in the corner that led to a goal was pretty awful.

Every power play, except for the last one, was pretty bad. That's just uncalled for. But the last PP was clicking, we just didn't put it in.

We got better as the game went on, and if not for one of the flukiest bounces you'll ever see, we were all over them in the 3rd and were primed to win the game.
I thought Elliott was fine. He didn't make the amazing save on the point blank (almost open net) goals, but it's hard to yell at him for that. He was good. One of their open side chances...Elliott played it really well, but it was just a well placed shot just inside the post. That's about all he had to shoot at. Elliott damn near got it as he slid across. Give credit to NY for that one.

The bad bounce off the glass...you can't blame anyone for that. That's the definition of bad luck. (Frank) that partition. I honestly feel if not for that bounce, we probably win that game with the way it was going. With as bad as we played the first half of the game, and to be tied late and owning the play and seemingly ready to win the game, that is a pretty nice positive to take away from it...even though I hate taking positives away from losses in which the team played poorly for half of the game, but you have to do that I guess.

This is the first time I've seen the new jerseys in anything besides highlights. Love 'em. :okman:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Felt great watching hockey again.
Once they settle in its going to be an awesome year.
I freaked when Stastny went down.
And yeah. Tarasenko and Schwartz are so damn good. Have them both on my fantasy team.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

I had a few talking points for the roundtable, but a few of them were answered last night.

1) The referees were TERRIBLE! I hope its just rust, and I recognize I'm not on ice level and hear what they say to players, but holy shit, a lot of missed calls and a lot of wrong calls. The dive call on Tarasenko never should have been called. He was the last man back, and diving would have put the NYR on a breakaway.
2) The Rangers' 4th line with Tanner Glass was pretty impressive.
3) This was the first time in a while where I heard the announcers say the other team was matching lines with our top line. Holy shit!
4) Our powerplay was active in puck movement. Last season, we would sit back and wait for a perfect pass, or move the puck until the other team got out of position. Last night, the Blues skated with the puck in the offensive zone, and it looked as if our players were outworking the NYR's PK'ers.
5) The right defense was responsible for three goals! Damn. That's supposed to be our strong side. It was awful to watch Pietrangelo and JBo's reactions after Nash's two goals.
6) Elliott was not at fault for any of the three goals. The game could have been a lot worse early.
7) I made a personal decision NOT TO SEE ANY HOCKEY live since the lockout. I have decided to come back and see my first live Blues games this season since the 2012 lockout.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

It's one game. It's hard to really say much either way. You can't count the preseason with this one either because I don't think the group that played last night ever played together before then. It was always a mix of rookies. Maybe the last few were closer but still.

They certainly looked out of sorts at times, but nerves mixed with new people that's bound to happen. I'm not one who likes to blame refs but they didn't do us any favors. A few calls made (or not made...cough..) could have resulted in a different outcome. It's encouraging that they can look off, but still were right there. Saturday is a new day and I expect they'll be better, though it wouldn't surprise me if they still seem a bit off for a few more games until they gel.

Just gotta keep cool, yo...the sky isn't falling....
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

ViPeRx007 wrote:It's one game. It's hard to really say much either way. You can't count the preseason with this one either because I don't think the group that played last night ever played together before then. It was always a mix of rookies. Maybe the last few were closer but still.

They certainly looked out of sorts at times, but nerves mixed with new people that's bound to happen. I'm not one who likes to blame refs but they didn't do us any favors. A few calls made (or not made...cough..) could have resulted in a different outcome. It's encouraging that they can look off, but still were right there. Saturday is a new day and I expect they'll be better, though it wouldn't surprise me if they still seem a bit off for a few more games until they gel.

psn you livin in the woods in a shack clownshoes!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

sseagle wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:It's one game. It's hard to really say much either way. You can't count the preseason with this one either because I don't think the group that played last night ever played together before then. It was always a mix of rookies. Maybe the last few were closer but still.

psn you livin in the woods in a shack clownshoes!
"Playstation Network you livin in the woods in a shack clownshoes!"?

What?

It seems everyone can beat the Rangers except for us. AAAAaaaaaaaaAHHHHHHhhhhh! :mrgreen:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Watching the rags have complete meltdowns the last three games has been simply wonderful. Should be 0-4 though, oh well. Lose the battle, win the war.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024