Blues Announce Opening Night 23 Man Roster

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues Announce Opening Night 23 Man Roster

Post by dmiles2186 »

Also of note, Peter Mueller is on his way out of the organ-EYE-zation from the sounds of it. Bummer.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/p ... 0053a.html

The Blues set their 23-man opening day roster on Tuesday, sending defensemen Chris Butler and Petteri Lindbohm and forward Dmitrij Jaskin to Chicago and sending forward Robby Fabbri to his junior team.

The Blues chose to keep injured defensenan Carl Gunnarsson on the roster rather than put him on injured reserve. He won't be able to play for at least the first week, and because he was injured before camp began -- he had hip surgery in April -- he's considred a non-roster player.

That means the Blues will have 22 available players for the first game. With a light October schedule, at least in terms of games, GM Doug Armstrong thinks they can work with that. It also means that Gunnarsson likely won't go to Chicago for a conditioning stint and his first game this season will be with the Blues.

The move saves the Blues space under the salary cap. If they had put Gunnarsson on injured reserved, they would still be responsible for his salary, plus whoever they brought up to take that spot, even if that person was likely a healthy scratch every night.

"Part of the reason, in the salary cap era, you want to preserve as much salary cap space as possible and the longer we can keep that roster at 23, that money grows as the season goes on and I want to be prudent with our dollars," Armstrong said. "We don't have any back-to-back games until next weekend, if we need a player we can get him up from Chicago very quickly. Right now I'm trying to preserve our cap space as much as possible."

Lindbohm had the choice, if not making the team, to return to Finland, but after the success he had here and being told by the Blues' staff that he was very close to being NHL ready, he chose to stay and play in the AHL.

"We think he's very close to being an NHL player," Armstrong said. "I think it's a great decision that really shows where his mindset is at. It shows how close we think he is to being an NHL player."

Jaskin played 18 games with the Blues last season and 42 with Chicago.

"He really can't do much more than he's done," Armstrong said. "I just talked to him and he's very upset and he should be and that's what I like about him. Right now, he's not in group of 12 and right now, he's better to play and play a lot than to sit here in practice. He controls how quickly he'll be back up here. What he needs is an opportunity and when he gets that opportunity, he has to make sure there's no question that he'll never go back down. It's a difficult day for the player and I think he's going to use the motivation correctly to go down there and play very well."

Fabbri will be going back to his junior team, Guelph in the Ontario Hockey League. He was hurt in the Blues' next-to-last preseason game and hasn't been on the ice since.

"What I said to Robby was that when we drafted you, I expected you'd be two years in junior hockey and a year in the minors and then we get a look at you," Armstrong said. "You've impressed us enough now that if you go down to the Canadian Hockey League, have a good World Junior, have a good season, we have to look at you as a potential player on our roster next year. Really that's a great month's work for him."

The injury made the decision easier for Armstrong.

"He was making it more uncomfortable on the manager than the coach," Armstrong said. "Ken's job is to think in the here and now and (Fabbri) wasn't going away. He was pushing and he was prodding. As a manager, you want to make sure you're putting these young kids in a position to succeed, not fail. I don't think our organization is at a point now where an 18 year old is going to be the final piece of the puzzle to push us over the top. But he was making it very difficult. Now what it does, it is allows us a little more maturation next summer. One of Robby's big things is going to be maturing off the ice in a physical standpoint and a full season with Nelson, our strength coach, is going to do him a world of good. Also, you have to look at it from a business standpoint. Once he starts that seven years before free agency starts, selfishly I'd rather have these players at 26-27 than 18-19. But he might push the point next year that we have no choice but to put him on the team."

The roster:

Forwards: Steve Ott, Joakim Lindstrom, Jori Lehtera, Jaden Schwartz, Alexander Steen, Patrik Berglund, Paul Stastny, Chris Porter, Maxim Lapierre, David Backes, Magnus Paajarvi, T.J. Oshie, Ryan Reaves, Vladimir Tarasenko.

Defensemen: Carl Gunnarssson, Barret Jackman, Jay Bouwmeester, Kevin Shattenkirk, Alex Pietrangelo, Ian Cole, Jordan Leopold.

Goalies: Brian Elliott, Jake Allen.

The Blues will keep the same C and As as last year. David Backes will wear the C, Barret Jackman, Alexander Steen, Alex Pietrangelo and T.J. Oshie will have A's.

MUELLER WAIVED

For the second time in a week, Peter Mueller has been placed on waivers. But this time, it is to cut ties with the Blues.

Mueller, who signed a two-way contract with the club, was placed on unconditional waivers Tuesday with the intent to terminate his contract.

The news comes six days after Mueller was placed on regular waivers and cleared, paving the way for a potential assignment to the American Hockey League.

"He was assigned on the weekend to go to Chicago," Armstrong said. "He doesn't want to go to Chicago. If he clears, we'll talk one more time and make sure that he no longer has the desire to remain in North America and he'll released out of his contract and able to sign wherever he wants. That was a difficult one for the organization and for Peter. We thought he had a good camp. We view him as a top nine player. He just doesn't feel like he has the desire to go to the American Hockey League at this time and work his way back up. I have to respect that."

He remained with the Blues, playing in Saturday night's 5-4 overtime loss to Minnesota, but did not register any statistics in 13:32 of ice time.

After the game, Mueller spoke with Blues general manager Doug Armstrong and head coach Ken Hitchcock, who notified him that he would be designated to the Chicago Wolves. He was officially assigned Sunday, but did not report to the Blues' affiliate.

If Mueller clears waivers a second time, his contract will be terminated. He may have interest in returning to Europe, where he played last season on a team in Switzerland.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blues Announce Opening Night 23 Man Roster

Post by cprice12 »

Peter Mueller
Such a promising young kid and he actually had a nice rookie season...but has been a dud ever since.

And call me a traditionalist...but I'd rather they have 1 C and 2 A's. Why do we need 4 A's? Meh.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

APOD
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by APOD »

That's too bad I think he just needed time to adjust back to the north american game.
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor or Brian Elliott
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Jori Lehtera
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Chris Stewart / Steve Ott and the trade that made it happen!
2012-errr.......Just 2013 LGB Sponsor of Andy McDonald

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

If there is a game 5 between the Cards and Dodgers many in this town won't even care about opening night.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:If there is a game 5 between the Cards and Dodgers many in this town won't even care about opening night.
You're probably right. If you're a baseball (specifically Cards or Dodgers) fan and hockey fan it would be hard not to watch that all-important game 5 in favor of game 1 of 82. That's just the nature of the beast. Personally, I'm more ready for hockey so that's where my attention will be.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

No Game 5!
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:If there is a game 5 between the Cards and Dodgers many in this town won't even care about opening night.
You're probably right. If you're a baseball (specifically Cards or Dodgers) fan and hockey fan it would be hard not to watch that all-important game 5 in favor of game 1 of 82. That's just the nature of the beast. Personally, I'm more ready for hockey so that's where my attention will be.

(Frank) that noise!
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

sseagle wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

(Frank) that noise!
Calm down, ss. Lol.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

(Frank) that noise!
Calm down, ss. Lol.
KMOX is all ours!
:zelda:
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

(Frank) that noise!
Calm down, ss. Lol.
KMOX is all ours!
Well, until Saturday, and then they take it back.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Impossible. You have already gone on record that this town is a football town, not a baseball town.

There won't be a game 5 now...but if there were, and assuming it was on at the same time as the Blues game, which it probably would be unless the SF - WSH series had also went 5, then the SF - WSH game would have the prime time slot and we'd have the 4pm game. But if they were on at the same time, I'd record the Blues game and watch the Cards game.
Why you ask?
Because there is little to no chance they will give the score of the Blues game during the Cards game...but there is a 100% chance they'd give the score of the Cards game during the Blues game. I wouldn't want either spoiled and I could watch both in their entirety without one spoiling the other.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
sseagle wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

(Frank) that noise!
Calm down, ss. Lol.
KMOX is all ours!
Well, until Saturday, and then they take it back.
And rightfully so.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I just meant to say the NFL is by far and away the biggest sport in America. If ANY city has a winning team they would be #1. Can you think of a city where that's NOT true? If the Lions or Vikings were 12-4 would the Wings or Wild be bigger? I doubt it.

I think we can all agree we prefer cold steel on ice over all other sports!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think, looking ahead, Fabbri will be a huge boost to this team next season. If not for his injury he damn near made the team this year. He'll be huge when we can't afford Vova.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:Peter Mueller
Such a promising young kid and he actually had a nice rookie season...but has been a dud ever since.

And call me a traditionalist...but I'd rather they have 1 C and 2 A's. Why do we need 4 A's? Meh.
Don't they rotate them? Something like 2 of them at home games and 2 different at away games?

Most A's on the ice in one game should be 3 IMHO
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk