Blues fan passes away after fall from escalator at Scottrade

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Blues fan passes away after fall from escalator at Scottrade

Post by dmiles2186 »

I had just heard about this. Awful news. Thoughts, prayers, good vibes to the family and friends.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014 ... ator-fall/

St. Louis Blues owner Tom Stillman has released the following statement after a fan died falling from an escalator during Thursday night’s game at Scottrade Center.

“The entire St. Louis Blues organization is deeply saddened today. Following last night’s home game, a fan riding an escalator in the arena was involved in a fall.

“Tragically, she died as a result of injuries sustained in the fall. We are working closely with the St. Louis Police Department to investigate the facts surrounding this tragic event.

“Everyone with the St. Louis Blues – our ownership, management, coaches, players, and staff – extends our deepest and heartfelt sympathies to the woman’s family and friends.

“We will keep them in our thoughts and prayers, and we ask all Blues fans to do the same.”

According to local police, the death has been ruled as accidental.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues fan passes away after fall from escalator at Scott

Post by Kreegz2 »

How do you accidentally fall off an escalator?
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Kreegz2 wrote:How do you accidentally fall off an escalator?
Probably drunk, liquor should be banned from sporting events.
Just pathetic.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Kreegz2 wrote:How do you accidentally fall off an escalator?
I thought the same thing. Unless she had a medical condition or was very drunk I don't see how you can just fall off an escalator.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Woman falls to death sliding down escalator at Scottrade Center

By Jesse Bogan jbogan@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8255

Oct 4, 2014 12:05 AM

ST. LOUIS • The Blues fan who died Thursday night at the Scottrade Center was described as a friend who could find the silver lining in anything and liked to make people laugh.

Melissa “Missy” Miles, 34, of south St. Louis, fell off an escalator on the second floor of the building, authorities said. She was pronounced dead at St. Louis University Hospital.

Police said the homicide unit was notified but that the fall appeared to be an accident.

Miles and a few friends had just watched the Blues beat the Minnesota Wild 4-1 and were thinking about going to a bar until traffic eased up. They were in good spirits.

On the way down the escalator, Miles was smiling when she hiked a leg over the rail.

“She straddled the rail, as if to slide down butt first,” said Robert Murphy, 32, speaking on behalf of his distraught girlfriend who witnessed the fall. “She went right over, face first, face down. She was completely unresponsive when she landed.”

Murphy said the group of friends initially thought she was joking when she attempted to slide.

“She is a person who is always trying to get people to smile and laugh,” he said. “It doesn’t seem like something out of the ordinary for her.”

Management issued a statement announcing “the entire St. Louis Blues organization is deeply saddened” and saying it is “working closely with the St. Louis Police Department to investigate the facts surrounding this tragic event.”

There was no report of a mechanical malfunction.

One night five years ago, an escalator near the Clark Street entrance of Scottrade Center suddenly sped up. Several of the steps collapsed into one another, throwing people into each other at the bottom. Authorities said 13 people were injured that time, none seriously.

There are three pair of escalators in the building.

Friends said Miles had been to a handful of Blues games.

She had two children. She had been dating Dan Franz since the 2011 World Series.

“That whole series is what kind of brought us together, just all the good times around it,” said Franz who lived with Miles in the 3800 block of Burgen Avenue.

He said she worked in payroll at Coinco, a company that makes coin equipment for vending machines. She enjoyed astronomy and live music.

“She was the most positive person I ever met,” Franz said.

Even when she lost her purse and passport in Cancun, he said.

“It turned out to be one of the best trips of my life,” Franz said. “She loved everything. The ocean. The ruins. She would notice the moon and the sun.”

Franz turns 28 today.

“We were going to do a lot this weekend,” he said. “She had this thing — it’s your birthday week, not your birthday.”

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Tragic for her and her family but really who thinks what she did was a good idea? The world is riddled with idiots who don't think out consequences before they act.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

There are a lot of stupid things people do and nothing happens, but every once in a while something does. It's unfortunate, especially when you consider how preventable it was. Just a bad decision that went horribly wrong.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Awful.
I feel so bad for her two kids.
They never mentioned alcohol being involved, so who knows on that... but either way, she was goofing around and something tragic happened.
That's pretty f'ing high up to be straddling the rail like that.
I'm not a fan of heights anyway, so I can't imagine even goofing around and acting like I'm going to slide down that thing.
Sad.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

sseagle
All-Star
All-Star

Post by sseagle »

SCOTTRADE ESCALATORS OF DEATH!

Didn't one fall apart a year or two ago and kill/maim someone?
Official Chatzy Sponsor Extraordinaire - Just wait till we score four...

Official Sponsor of FlashChat.. why am I alone still?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

sseagle wrote:SCOTTRADE ESCALATORS OF DEATH!

Didn't one fall apart a year or two ago and kill/maim someone?
It sped up suddenly and a bunch of people were thrown into each other. No one died, but there were 10-15 people hurt.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I don't know why they don't just put in some safety measures at stadiums to prevent this sort of thing. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

goon attack wrote:I don't know why they don't just put in some safety measures at stadiums to prevent this sort of thing. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
Pussy.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

F Keenan wrote:
goon attack wrote:I don't know why they don't just put in some safety measures at stadiums to prevent this sort of thing. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
Pussy.
Dats da truef
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

What they do at the United Center is the ushers step in front of the down escalator to prevent any more fans to get on it until all the people currently on it are cleared to the bottom. That avoids a problem where the riders get backed up at the bottom and can't get off and have more people coming down behind them. That was the first thought that came to mind when I read this story but when it said she straddled the hand rail then clearly it was her own fault. Since she lost her balance so easily I think it's fair to say she was drunk.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Just design the damn things so there are no potential life-threatening distances from which to fall. Duh.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

STLADOGG wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
Pussy.
Dats da truef
yu a pussey

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

So very sad-like Curt, I really feel for her kids. Easy in a moment to forget how what we do affects others.
goon attack wrote:Just design the damn things so there are no potential life-threatening distances from which to fall. Duh.
Seems obvious, doesn't it? Do escalators have to be built in such a way to allow this? Nobody builds unenclosed staircases from which it's possible to fall to your death for use by thousands of people, many of whom will be under the influence of alcohol.

On the other hand, as I tell people when they point out some of my-admittedly irrational-fears: can you give me a really good reason to mess around with heights, fire or lightning? What good can come of it? Be careful and thank the gods for the luck you've enjoyed in this life.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

A year or two ago at Coors Field a drunk fan tried to slide down the railing on the stairs, toppled over, and died the same way. Maybe we need to start an awareness campaign. Don't let friends drink and slide down stairs/escalators at sporting events.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now