Davidson accuses Johansen of extortion

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Davidson accuses Johansen of extortion

Post by cprice12 »

This is great.
Blue Jackets president accuses Ryan Johansen of extortion, reveals contract numbers

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 58217.html

The Columbus Blue Jackets have had enough of this Ryan Johansen restricted free agency negotiation.

To the point where affable team president John Davidson called it “extortion."

“When you see the numbers that are thrown at us, we shouldn’t even respond. That’s how bad it is. It’s embarrassing. And if the kid sits out (of training camp), he sits out. I wonder if the agent is going to pay him his money back that he’s going to lose by sitting out?” he said, via Puck-Rakers.

And then JD, as they said in “The Godfather”, went to the mattresses.

* He announced that the team had offered Johansen $6 million over two years and $32 million over six years (which JD correctly said is more than Jamie Benn makes) and $46 million over eight years. Which is astronomical money for a player that has one standout season to his credit.

Consider that Matt Duchene had seasons of 55 and 67 points before signing his $3.5 million, two-year bridge contract. Johansen had 63 points in 82 games last season, after seasons of 21 points in 67 games and 12 points in 40 games.

[ Yahoo Sports Fantasy Hockey: It's time to join a league today! ]

"I think our group has been very fair, and more than fair," said Davidson.

There’s been some mouths agape that Davidson put those numbers out there, but honestly, why should agents have all the fun?

* He said that Kurt Overhardt is using Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane as comparables. Which is insane. As Davidson said: “You can’t sit here and have the Stamkos and the Toews and the Kane thrown at us.”

* To that end, he said that Johansen’s agent is drawing his numbers from somewhere around his backside. “With the numbers they came back with … they are so one-sided it’s nonsensical. It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up. I’ve been in this league doing this for a long time now and this one here, it’s baffling is what it is. It’s baffling. Baffling.”

Ryan Johansen’s agent was on TSN 1050 to discuss Davidson's words and the contract details, and was asked to address Davidson’s comments. From Nichols on Hockey:

“Well, I mean with all due respect, I don't think you do respond. I don't think it deserves a response and this is a business deal for a young man that is obviously just beginning to burgeon in his career and I just think it's business, and it's private. It's between Ryan Johansen and the Blue Jackets. It's unfortunate, but I was raised to have integrity in what I do by the people that raised me and it's unfortunate that they've taken this course but we're just going to ignore it and try to work in good faith to get a deal done."

DID HE JUST INSULT JOHN DAVIDSON’S MAMA?!?

Overhardt went on to defend his contract demands.

“There's only so many 6-4, 230-pound centericemen walking down the streets. Ryan has got a lot more talent in his tank but he's a member of a 23-man unit and he respects his teammates and he respects his role.

"So there's also a marketplace. And there's accountability within that marketplace. And so the player's compensation just needs to be fit in where first line centermen fit and it's really that simple. So there shouldn't be a lot of drama. As we know, the CBA and the CBA since the 2005 lockout was lifted has a lot of moving parts and star players, or the first line players, they earn their money and they're accountable for it.”

"So it's just a matter of making a fit and like I said before, old school tactics and personalization of things - it just, it doesn't do anyone any good. It's September 17 and the young man would prefer to be in training camp tomorrow with his teammates. But unfortunately, some people would rather talk about innuendo and personal attacks, rather than roll their sleeves up and work.”

Because remember: Offering at least three different contracts of varying length and value isn’t doing work.

But by all means, keep chasing that Stamkos money, Kurt.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Davidson accuses Johansen of extortion

Post by cardsfan04 »

I understand players wanting to get paid when they can. Any player could have a career-ending injury in his next shift. But, this is ridiculous. I can't believe JD offered him those 6 and 8 year deals. And I especially can't believe he didn't sign before JD came to his senses.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I had never seen a GM air out the length and numbers of a player's contract until Army did it after Boat fled to the KHL. Then JD does it here and in a big way. Don't blame him. The player has no leverage here.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Johansen is a punk. JD is awesome.
End of story.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Now those numbers are insane. As I keep pointing out, there is a market where these things are worked out. As I've also pointed out-Johnansen wants top, top C money which is insane. I'd point out to his agent that we got one of them 6'3" 230lb centers right here and he's scored 30+ goals twice, plays high-leverage minutes including special teams and is a team leader...all for $4.7M per.
dmiles2186 wrote:The player has no leverage here.
Well see now, that's not true. It would be obvious if it were because the story would get no attention because Davidson/CBJ would just tell him to f off and he can sit if he likes. But he does have leverage because CBJ has crap depth at C and not the most exciting set of players generally and of course they want to keep the fans onside. They're also not a deep pockets team and don't need to be competing with the rest of the league (and/or KHL?) for their assets as they're not likely to win a lot of bidding wars.

Again, I have a feeling there are several RFAs out there waiting to see what happens with Johansen before they sign.
cardsfan04 wrote:I especially can't believe he didn't sign before JD came to his senses.
Now that I completely agree with. He could break his leg in camp and never play at a high level again. Foolish, as young men often are.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

This is the kind of crap I was talking about in the "ads on jerseys" thread. If you cave into this, you start setting a precedent. Others will use this as their starting point. Pretty soon you're going to have a kid who hasn't played a single NHL game signing contracts that the highest paid veterans in the league are getting. How do you maintain that? It's going to cost $400 to go to a game and $50 to buy a soda. Everything is going to become so commercialized your team will barely even exist. They'll be the Budweiser Presents St. Louis Blues sponsored by Dirt Cheap and Happy Pony. You have to start getting real with these guys at some point. I commend JD for his candor. "Baffling" is right.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cardsfan04 wrote:I understand players wanting to get paid when they can. Any player could have a career-ending injury in his next shift. But, this is ridiculous. I can't believe JD offered him those 6 and 8 year deals. And I especially can't believe he didn't sign before JD came to his senses.
I thought the same thing. When I first heard that the Jackets released their offers, my first thought was "wow, this is bad." The only reason it makes sense is for the Blue Jackets to put their arms in the air to their fans as if to say "Look, THIS is what we've offered, this isn't our fault here."

And it absolutely isn't. Johansen is either letting his agent do all this over-the-top demanding, or he's orchestrating it. Either way, it's BS. This league has shown over and over again: If you show you're a legitimately good player you WILL get paid. This kid needs an ounce of patience.

The only reasons, IMO, that a young NHL player would refuse to take a bridge contract such as Johansen's is (1) They don't think they can perform to that level again, or (2) they're greedy. Hell I'd almost use it as a tactic for JD. "What's wrong Johansen? Don't think you can play two seasons in a row with good numbers?" :roll:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

does this have any effect on the Schwartz or the Sobotka?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

THIS is the kind of nonsense that has led to 2 lockouts in 10 years! The players are already WAY overpaid and everyone knows it! For DECADES hockey players barely made $100k a season if that much!

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:THIS is the kind of nonsense that has led to 2 lockouts in 10 years! The players are already WAY overpaid and everyone knows it! For DECADES hockey players barely made $100k a season if that much!
Owners make far more.

Truth is labor stoppages happen because a group of multi-millionaires and a group of billionaires can't agree on how to divide up our hard-earned cash. I mean, for decades football players also made crap and had poor healthcare and virtually no retirement bennies. You want to go back to those glory days so parasitic douchebags like Charles Wang and Bill Laurie and Stan Kroenke and the Steinbrenners and Mike Ilitch can get even richer?

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I know that but we've already gone through 2 lockouts to determine what a fair revenue sharing ratio is. The players and owners both signed the CBA and agreed to it.

It seems like Johanssen is trying to go above and beyond his fair market value.
Last edited by JesusNEVERexisted on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ecbm wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:THIS is the kind of nonsense that has led to 2 lockouts in 10 years! The players are already WAY overpaid and everyone knows it! For DECADES hockey players barely made $100k a season if that much!
Owners make far more.
That's debatable. But for those that do, they deserve to.
They are the ones putting their money at risk. If the team sucks, if the fans don't show up, if revenue takes a nose dive, the owners take the hit and could end up losing money. The player's salaries are guaranteed...so it doesn't matter what shape the team or franchise is in, the players get paid regardless.
Yes, the players are the reason the fans show up, and yes they do put their health on the line (a big deal)...but their full contract is still guaranteed unless they get bought out, which rarely happens...and even then, they get a nice fat paycheck and are free to sign somewhere else to make more money...so they could conceivably come out ahead if they are bought out.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

So, um, with all this going on... why don't we give JD a call and see if he wants to make a trade for Bergs?

:roll: :lol:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:So, um, with all this going on... why don't we give JD a call and see if he wants to make a trade for Bergs?

:roll: :lol:
:okman:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko