NHL Says No to Jersey Ads (For Now)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

NHL Says No to Jersey Ads (For Now)

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461971
The NHL has once again said no - for the time being - to selling prime space on team jerseys to sponsors, a move the league estimates would generate at least $120 million.

During a recent meeting of NHL team presidents in New York, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys, a person familiar with the matter told TSN.

"Gary (Bettman) and owners like the money, but they don't want to be first out of the box with this in North America," the person told TSN. "They'll wait for the NBA or baseball to do it and then be second or third."

The NHL, like other mainstream North American sports, to this point has resisted breaking with tradition, even though NHL jerseys already carry advertising since jersey maker Reebok's logo is so prominent.

Major League Baseball may have been the first major North American sports league to consider the money-generating move. In 1999, MLB considered putting logos on the sleeves of player uniforms, but commissioner Bud Selig said no.

As recently as 2012, the NBA made up mock Boston Celtics and Chicago Bulls jerseys with sponsor logos in place of the 'Celtics' and 'Bulls' names on the front. The NBA ultimately decided against the move.

Sports marketing experts say a corporate presence on NHL jerseys is inevitable. Traditions change, after all. The NBA abandoned short shorts and the NHL, too, has tinkered with its uniforms through the years, at times allowing teams to wear white skates and long hockey pants called Cooperalls that ran from the waists of players to their ankles.

"The AHL added patched in the late 1980s and it really wasn't a big deal," said Bob Stellick, a former Toronto Maple Leafs marketing official whose clients have included McDonald's and the Royal Bank of Canada. "Look at English soccer or TFC. They ask people to purchase jerseys with a huge BMO logo and it doesn't seem to be a deterrent."

Some NHL teams already feature corporate ads on practice jerseys.

"It's inevitable but will be perceived as a sell out and weakness by the first North American league to do so," said Brian Cooper, president of S&E Sponsorship Group. "Even though English Premier League, Nascar and Euro hockey have done it. It's the blatant commercialization of sport. It's almost too close to the heart of sport."

An NHL spokesman declined to comment.

During the meeting of NHL team presidents, NHL executive John Collins, who has fostered the league's popular outdoor games, discussed plans to use technology to sell rink board ads in a different way. The so-called 'erase and replace' rink boards feature ads that can be replaced on TV, meaning the NHL can sell region-specific ads to advertisers. An NHL final could feature rink boards with Swedish ads for viewers in Stockholm, or Cyrillic ads for those in Russia.

The Philadelphia Flyers discussed the possibility of adding more ads on the ice surface, and league officials discussed ways to generate more revenue from jersey sales, which have been relatively flat in recent years. Reebok's jersey contract with the NHL expires in 2016, and companies including Bauer and Under Armour are expected to pursue a new deal with the NHL, several sources told TSN.

The team presidents also heard from several clubs including the New York Rangers who are planning to use jerseys this year that have computer chips built in. The chips will allow teams to more accurately track a player's speed and movements on the ice for use in advanced statistical analysis.

Some NHL players have reconciled the prospect of ads on jerseys.

In 2008, a group of influential NHL players that includes New Jersey's Martin Brodeur, Dallas's Marty Turco, Detroit's Dominik Hasek and Edmonton's Dwayne Roloson urged the NHL to alter league uniforms, perhaps starting first with goalie jerseys.

"When you can add additional revenue, it creates options," said Ritch Winter, an Edmonton player agent who worked on the goalies' efforts. "It doesn't have to start with ads on every jersey. Maybe you have a third jersey or maybe ads are just on goalie jerseys. What's wrong with a new tradition? The majority of immigrants to North America come from Europe and Africa and Asia, where they are used to seeing ads on jerseys. Is Manchester United's jersey any less popular around the world than the New York Yankees' jersey?"

In professional leagues throughout Europe, player uniforms are covered in ads. When former Leafs star Doug Gilmour played in Switzerland during the 1994-95 lockout, he was reportedly asked by his team to put advertising stickers on the shaft of his hockey stick. Once, when he skated out for a pre-game warm-up, a team trainer asked him to adjust his socks to make a sponsor's logo more prominent.

The introduction of ads on arena rink boards in the late 1970s was a turning point for the NHL's ties to corporate North America. The Minnesota North Stars were the first franchise to debut rink board ads, selling eight pairs at $3,000 a pair.

Cooper and other marketers said the money may be too rich for the NHL to resist for long.

In the English Premier League, teams are expected this season to reap a collective $341 million worth of jersey sponsorships, the London Independent newspaper reported. In a new deal with Chevrolet, Manchester United will bring in $84 million a season, more than double the $35 million the team got during the previous season from the insurance company Aon.

It's worth noting that soccer uniforms haven't always been emblazoned with ads.

In 1976, a soccer team in Kettering, England, became the first in British soccer to compete in a game with a sponsor's logo, 'Kettering Tyres,' on their jerseys. Britain's Football Association demanded the corporate logo be removed from the team uniform and TV networks refused until 1983 to show teams wearing uniforms with corporate logos.

That resistance eventually disappeared.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: NHL Says No to Jersey Ads (For Now)

Post by cardsfan04 »

Oh, please please please please please don't ever put ads on the jerseys.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

Didn't the Red Wings have an ad on their jerseys or was that like a memorable patch or something a couple years ago.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

STLADOGG wrote:Didn't the Red Wings have an ad on their jerseys or was that like a memorable patch or something a couple years ago.
They had an ad on their practice jerseys. It's the gateway. NBA teams are doing this too, I believe.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:Didn't the Red Wings have an ad on their jerseys or was that like a memorable patch or something a couple years ago.
They had an ad on their practice jerseys. It's the gateway. NBA teams are doing this too, I believe.

It wasn't just on practice jerseys. The stupid Amway thing the Red Wings did was/is under or near the logo in a lot of places, except on game jerseys. I think sometimes under the Red Wings logo it said, "Presented by Amway" and "Amway" was the Amway logo.

LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

That looks so cheap though...

There's got to be other ways to raise money than by turning the players into living billboards. Have some dang respect for yourselves as a league.

I don't have any solutions, but it might help by, I don't know, not paying everybody a bazillion dollars. The dollar amounts have to stop going up eventually...right?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ViPeRx007 wrote:That looks so cheap though...

There's got to be other ways to raise money than by turning the players into living billboards. Have some dang respect for yourselves as a league.

I don't have any solutions, but it might help by, I don't know, not paying everybody a bazillion dollars. The dollar amounts have to stop going up eventually...right?
Well they did start doing advertising on the boards and the ice itself...I think it's just a matter of time where it happens. As much as I hate to admit it though.
TW Tiger Woods TW

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I really hope it never happens. I can't even follow what's going on in European hockey games because every square inch of ice and the players' jerseys are covered in ads. Can't even follow the game. If that's the inevitable direction of the NHL... Man I don't know.

I think the article brings up a good point though. None of the "big 4" North American pro sports leagues wants to be the first to put ads on jerseys and each one is waiting for the other to do it first. That in and of itself is a deterrent. Regardless, I think the NFL will be the last to do it and the least to worry about. I could see the NBA or MLB giving in before the NHL does. Especially the MLB. That league is a trainwreck. They have to cut the number of games or something because those ballparks this summer weren't even close to full, ever.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I really hope it never happens. I can't even follow what's going on in European hockey games because every square inch of ice and the players' jerseys are covered in ads. Can't even follow the game. If that's the inevitable direction of the NHL... Man I don't know.

I think the article brings up a good point though. None of the "big 4" North American pro sports leagues wants to be the first to put ads on jerseys and each one is waiting for the other to do it first. That in and of itself is a deterrent. Regardless, I think the NFL will be the last to do it and the least to worry about. I could see the NBA or MLB giving in before the NHL does. Especially the MLB. That league is a trainwreck. They have to cut the number of games or something because those ballparks this summer weren't even close to full, ever.
I think the NFL would be the first to do it, greedy bastards...plus their jerseys are plain as (Frank) anyways.

PS: sorry about Sobotka, my player is gone too...
TW Tiger Woods TW

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Just say no! Put whatever on the practice jerseys - I don't care. But leave the game jerseys alone! Those European jerseys covered in ads look like shit.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now