NHL Rule Changes 14-15 Season

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

NHL Rule Changes 14-15 Season

Post by STLADOGG »

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7301 ... L|NHL|home
Rule 1.8 – Rink - Goalkeeper's Restricted Area

The trapezoid will be expanded by two feet from the goal post on both sides of the net.

Rule 23 – Game Misconduct Penalties

A new Game Misconduct category will be created. Clipping, charging, elbowing, interference, kneeing, head-butting and butt-ending move from the general category into the same category as boarding and checking from behind ("Physical Fouls"), whereby a player who incurs two such game misconducts in this category would now be automatically suspended for one game.

Rule 24 – Penalty Shot

The 'Spin-O-Rama' move, as described in Section 24.2 of the 2013-14 NHL Rule Book, will no longer be permitted either in Penalty Shot situations or in the Shootout.

Rule 38 – Video Goal Judge

Video review will be expanded in the following areas:

* Rule 38.4 (viii) has been modified to allow broader discretion to Hockey Operations to assist the referees in determining the legitimacy of all potential goals (e.g., to ensure they are "good hockey goals"). The revised Rule will allow Hockey Operations to correct a broader array of situations where video review clearly establishes that a "goal" or "no goal" call on the ice has been made in error. The new expanded rule will also allow Hockey Operations to provide guidance to referees on goal and potential goal plays where the referee has blown his whistle (or intended to blow his whistle) after having lost sight of the puck.

* In reviewing "Kicked in Goals," Hockey Operations will require more demonstrable video evidence of a "distinct kicking motion" in order to overrule a "goal" call on the ice, or to uphold a "no goal" call on the ice.

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.

But, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise be appropriate, if the defending player "dives" and touches the puck first (before the trip), no penalty shot will be awarded. (In such cases, the resulting penalty will be limited to a two-minute minor penalty for tripping.)

Rule 64 – Diving / Embellishment

The supplementary discipline penalties associated with Rule 64.3 (Diving/Embellishment) will be revised to bring attention to and more seriously penalize players (and teams) who repeatedly dive and embellish in an attempt to draw penalties. Fines will be assessed to players and head coaches on a graduated scale outlined below.

Incident # Player Fine(s) Head Coach Fine(s)
1 Warning N/A
2 $2,000 N/A
3 $3,000 N/A
4 $4,000 $2,000
5 $5,000 $3,000
6 $5,000 $4,000
7 $5,000 $5,000
8 $5,000 $5,000
Rule 76 – Face-offs

To curb delay tactics on face-offs after icing infractions, in situations where the defending team is guilty of a face-off violation, following an icing, the defending player who is initially lined up for the face-off will be given a warning, but will be required to remain in the circle to take the face-off. A second face-off violation by the defending team in such situation will result in a two minute minor bench penalty.

Rule 84 – Overtime

* Teams will switch ends prior to the start of overtime in the regular season.

* The entire ice surface will undergo a "dry scrape" prior to the start of overtime in the regular season.

* The procedure requiring the head coach to submit a list of the first three shooters in the shoot-out has been eliminated.

Rule 85 – Puck Out of Bounds

There have been further rule changes made relating to face-off location to avoid penalizing teams for plays intended to create bona fide scoring opportunities. Specifically, the following are "categories of plays" where face-offs will remain in the attacking zone despite the fact that the attacking team was technically responsible for the stoppage in play: Shots at the net by a player on the attacking team where: (i) the shot breaks the glass; (ii) the shot goes off the side of the net and deflects out of play; (iii) the shot goes off the dasher boards or glass and deflects out of play; (iv) the shot is tipped or deflected out of play by a teammate; and (v) the shot becomes wedged in or on the exterior of the goal net.

In addition, the following rule change will be enacted for the 2014 preseason and may be continued for the 2014/15 regular season if approved by the League and the NHLPA.

Rule 1.9 – Rink – Face-off Spots and Circles – Ice Markings/Hash Marks

The hash marks at the end zone circles will be moved from three feet apart to five feet, seven inches apart (international markings).
No more Spin-o-rama!!
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: NHL Rule Changes 14-15 Season

Post by dmiles2186 »

So happy the Spin-o-Rama is gone! Just wish they'd gone the extra step and eliminated the trapezoid. I agree w/ Lebrun on why the Spin-o-Rama should be outlawed.

[tweet][/tweet]

[tweet][/tweet]

Also...because this guy did it a lot:

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

I saw Kane do a spin-o-rama during the game a few times but never in a shootout.

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I saw Kane do a spin-o-rama during the game a few times but never in a shootout.
It has been outlawed for shootouts and Penalty Shots only. Your favorite player Patrick Kane can still do his stupid shit during regular play.
Also they actually extended the trapezoid instead of eliminated it.... :facepalm:
TW Tiger Woods TW

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I saw Kane do a spin-o-rama during the game a few times but never in a shootout.
It has been outlawed for shootouts and Penalty Shots only. Your favorite player Patrick Kane can still do his stupid shit during regular play.
Also they actually extended the trapezoid instead of eliminated it.... :facepalm:
Extending it is better than it was though. This makes the restricted areas for the goaltenders smaller.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I'm glad they got rid of the spin-o-rama on shootouts. I wish they would have extended OT and took out the trapezoid completely though. I guess extending it is better than nothing.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

cardsfan04 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
Extending it is better than it was though. This makes the restricted areas for the goaltenders smaller.
Your right, I'm an idiot. lol
Even JNE would say that!!
TW Tiger Woods TW

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

I'm liking all the changes to the rules.

Thank jebus the stupid spin-o-rama is gone. That was ghey.

I wish they made the fines for diving even more though...

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

STLADOGG wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
Your right, I'm an idiot. lol
Even JNE would say that!!

LOL, only reason I even noticed is that I had the exact same initial reaction. It's worded a little strangely.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I wish a dive was a dive and the initial penalty would be retracted. If you feel the need to embellish, then the cause must not have been that bad to warrant 2 minutes of its own.

I also wish a dive would result in a power play AND a penalty shot.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:I wish a dive was a dive and the initial penalty would be retracted. If you feel the need to embellish, then the cause must not have been that bad to warrant 2 minutes of its own.
This.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I wish a dive was a dive and the initial penalty would be retracted. If you feel the need to embellish, then the cause must not have been that bad to warrant 2 minutes of its own.
This.
Immediate game misconduct for shaking a glove trying to get ref's attention to a slash that may or may not have happened.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Well thank god they addressed these pressing issues. The game is now back to its former glory with these courageous improvements.

:facepalm:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Or... the player wants to make sure the ref calls the penalty so he embellishes the actual penalty to make it look worse. Which is why a dive and a trip or hold or whatever can occur on the same play...no matter what Federko says. Yes Bernie, it can be both.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

cprice12 wrote:

Or... the player wants to make sure the ref calls the penalty so he embellishes the actual penalty to make it look worse. Which is why a dive and a trip or hold or whatever can occur on the same play...no matter what Federko says. Yes Bernie, it can be both.
I wish they would just negate the trip and call the dive. Diving will never stop until they call every dive. If the trip is embellished then it should result in a dive call. JMO
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)