UPDATED 9/27/14: Schwartz Signed

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Re: Schwartz

Post by crazyhorse »

Evidence? Are you suggesting we "bug" Armstrongs office? Speculation is all we got. Think we are all a little concerned here. Nothing against Ott, but would have much rather seen Sobotka get his cash. And definatly want to see Schwartz rewarded.
2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

crazyhorse wrote:Evidence? Are you suggesting we "bug" Armstrongs office? Speculation is all we got. Think we are all a little concerned here. Nothing against Ott, but would have much rather seen Sobotka get his cash. And definatly want to see Schwartz rewarded.
Sobotka + Schwartz = orders of magnitude greater than Ott + Berglund, who got their money.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:There's a salary cap and we're close to it. They have to operate within the salary cap even if they are profiting flevity-five billion dollars per year.

From a hypothetical standpoint, I agree with you that the Blues shouldn't nickel and dime him...I have a hard time believing that we have a reputation for nickel and diming players and I don't think that's what is going on with Schwartz.
As for cap issues, I'm with gaijin and crazyhorse-that's on this FO for cavalierly blowing $6M+ per year on Ott & Berglund. If I'm JS, it's hard to take this line seriously after getting $900K for being 43rd in the league in goals and 60th in points and I'm noting to myself what that kind of production can bring in free agency.

As for the reputation, the Blues don't have that at this point but I'm sure you've noticed from the hockey media that the Sobotka negotiations did raise eyebrows. I'd like to see this trend stop.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

crazyhorse wrote:Evidence? Are you suggesting we "bug" Armstrongs office? Speculation is all we got. Think we are all a little concerned here. Nothing against Ott, but would have much rather seen Sobotka get his cash. And definatly want to see Schwartz rewarded.
LOL, of course I'm not suggesting you bug anybody's office. I'm saying there isn't anything to support the concerns of the Blues nickel and diming Schwartz.

Anybody can make up a theory for what's going on. How about this one? Schwartz really wants to play for the Maple Leafs in his native Canada. So, he's reluctant to sign anything but a 1 or 2 year deal with the Blues and wants top dollar before bolting for Toronto when he's a UFA. Know what evidence I have for that? Absolutely nothing. Same thing.

None of us know what's happening. I suppose it's possible they are nickel and diming him. Whatever he makes this year will put the team extremely close to the cap. Criticism that we have less than 3mil to work with is valid (although the flipside is that the team spent to the cap again). But, it seems silly to take sides in this at this point by speculating that one side is trying to screw the other, because there is no way for any of us to know that that's what is happening or to think that is more likely than any other holdup.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

crazyhorse
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by crazyhorse »

2012-2013 official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
2013-2014 official LGB sponsor of Ryan Miller
2014-2015 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2015-2016 official LGB sponsor of Kyle Brodziak
2016-2017 official LGB sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 official LGB sponsor of Scotty Upshall
2018-2019 official LGB sponsor of Brayden Schenn

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Just throw in a lifetime free card to Pappy's Smokehouse. That'll get ink to paper in a hurry.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

crazyhorse wrote:For what it's worth???

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2014/9/1 ... or-concern
Last paragraph sums it up pretty well:
This is a bit different situation than last year in that both sides seem to be nearly on the same page. Yes, with camp inching closer, the risk of Schwartz not participating in some of it increases. The risk of him not participating when it counts is close to nil.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Here's a quote from Schwartz's agent:
“Hey listen, Doug is very much in support of (Schwartz) — he loves what he does for the team, only thinks he’s getting better,” Arnott said. “He wants him to be part of the big puzzle long-term, there’s no question."
That doesn't sound like somebody that feels disrespected and will be ready to bolt at his first chance.

And one from Armstrong:
“All I know is we really like (Schwartz). He’s an outstanding young individual off the ice. We like the player that he’s shown so far. I expect him to be a Blue for a long time. I’m pretty sure he’ll be playing in a Blues’ uniform this year. I’m 100 percent comfortable he will be.”

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

He's a pansy; who cares?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan-Army can say all the nice things he wants. Schwartz & agent: where's the cheese?

But hey, we can take the position of goon...I mean everyone who follows this team knows how easy it is to come up with pure goalscoring talent... :lol:

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

ecbm wrote:cardsfan-Army can say all the nice things he wants. Schwartz & agent: where's the cheese?

But hey, we can take the position of goon...I mean everyone who follows this team knows how easy it is to come up with pure goalscoring talent... :lol:
The first one was actually his agent's quote, not Army's.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

cardsfan04 wrote:
ecbm wrote:cardsfan-Army can say all the nice things he wants. Schwartz & agent: where's the cheese?

The first one was actually his agent's quote, not Army's.
Understood, but he's also obviously asking for more money than has been offered. Just as Army has said very flattering things but has offered less than Schwartz thinks he's worth. But it is definitely good that the sides are still cordial.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Most likely his agent is the problem. The Blues have x amount left to spend this year to the cap and his agent is asking for x+1. Blues can't sign him long term unless they can get his overall amount down to what they can spend this year. Agents are are idiots not accountants. Signing him before signing Ott should have been priority, then Ott would be the one compromising instead of Schwartzie. Sobotka and Schwartz not being signed first are both bad moves by the Blues. What looked like it would be a great season has already turned into a fiasco. Army can say all the nice things he wants but until he starts putting pucks in the back of the net he will need to sign goal scorers.

Get this done short term. Sign Schwartz and Tarasenko for what they deserve next summer after the cup run. :wink:
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Misc. Blues wrote:Most likely his agent is the problem...Agents are are idiots not accountants.
Leaving that to one side, I do sincerely recommend you get some representation before you enter negotiations with a corporation with scores of millions in turnover every year unless you like being put over a barrel.
Misc. Blues wrote:Signing him before signing Ott should have been priority, then Ott would be the one compromising instead of Schwartzie. Sobotka and Schwartz not being signed first are both bad moves by the Blues.
Ah. So maybe the problem isn't just the agent, after all.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I do agree that Schwartz and Sobotka should have taken precedence over Ott and Berglund. I've always supported the front office in their moves, but the Ott/Berglund signings were poorly executed, most specifically their timing. I can't blame Sobokta for feeling slighted, even though I really do feel he probably overestimated his own value. My hope is that Schwartz isn't feeling the same way as this keeps dragging out. I guess we'll soon find out. I'll be completely surprised if he doesn't sign. I'm not concerned about this season, but I am a bit more about the future. We're going to need some guys to take a hometown discount at some point if we're going to keep the core together. I guess if they don't win, changes may be necessary anyway, but it would be nice for guys to feel good about the team and want to stay. Deep down I don't think that's an issue though. It's pretty widely known that St. Louis is a place most players love, as evidenced by the many alumni that stick around.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

ViPeRx007 wrote:I do agree that Schwartz and Sobotka should have taken precedence over Ott and Berglund.
I still live in hope that the plan is to trade Berglund-it's perfectly clear that he doesn't have a future at C for the Blues and therefore his value should be greater to someone else than it is to the Blues. That would also clear a good amount of cap space for other guys. There's no way they can be planning to actually keep him at that rate. Leaving aside that I wouldn't have re-signed him at all, I still don't understand why it was done so early. Dealing with Schwartz (43rd in goals in the NHL last season) according to the realities of leverage while rolling out the red carpet for a guy whose leverage would have dried up as the offseason dragged on...I just don't get it.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

The main point that matters is WE SIGNED BERGY AND OTT YO!
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Anyone know how much Schwartz or his agent want compared to what Army is offering?

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Ok, I'm officially starting to get upset/nervous about this. I can't be the only one.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I think it's Ryan Johansen's fault.