Does hockey need a warning track?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Does hockey need a warning track?

Post by gaijin »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:Having been concussed chasing down an iced puck, I'm not opposed to the warning track.. however a warning track wouldn't have stopped the guy from hitting me from behind and me going into the wall head first. Not an awful idea, but I don't see this fixing anything.
I think that's the key there- when players get injured by getting slammed into the boards, it isn't because they don't know how far away from the boards they are.

I might go so far as to say a player is more likely to get a head injury by being slightly further away from the boards than right up against it. If they are 4-5 feet away and get boarded, they are likely to fall head-first into the boards. How would an 18-inch "warning track" help with that?

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Does hockey need a warning track?

Post by Oaklandblue »

I honestly think Goon's got the right idea - take away the armor. The best way to make people considerate about hurting others is to make them consider that they might get hurt too in the process. Fines and suspensions are all well and good deterrents but nothing else deters an athlete more than a potential injury.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!