Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Roman Polak to Toronto for Carl Gunnarsson and Pick 94

Post by STLADOGG »

This trade still pisses me off.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

STLADOGG wrote:This trade still pisses me off.
It won't when Husso starts winning Vezina's on the regular.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Post by STLADOGG »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:This trade still pisses me off.
It won't when Husso starts winning Vezina's on the regular.
Lol, yeah. That's as good of a guarantee as any I guess.
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!
It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.
Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...
No, it didn't strike me as a significant problem. But per JR and other sources, the Blues were looking for a compatible lefty shot to play w/ Shattenkirk, that's all I meant.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:I can't see how the moves so far address the team's shortcomings. THAT'S WHY WE'RE READING INTO THINGS, ARMY!!!
It addresses the need to have a lefty shot to pair with Shattenkirk, which has been stated.
Did Shattenkirk not playing with a left-handed shot strike you as a significant problem last season? Never really occurred to me. I think the thing Army actually wanted here was the draft pick-and I have no problem with that especially considering the Blues' D prospects. Still leaves me to speculate as to what the front office has planned to address needs...
No, it didn't strike me as a significant problem. But per JR and other sources, the Blues were looking for a compatible lefty shot to play w/ Shattenkirk, that's all I meant.
Given our meager PP, pairing up right- and left-handed shooting D could be a significant improvement. Much better one-timer opportunities, which were sorely missing from the blue line when the good guys were on the power play.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ComradeT wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
ecbm wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Given our meager PP, pairing up right- and left-handed shooting D could be a significant improvement. Much better one-timer opportunities, which were sorely missing from the blue line when the good guys were on the power play.
This.

What we lost in toughness with this trade, we make up for with improved puck movement, which should ultimately mean more scoring chances. If this improves our powerplay then I'm all for it. I think it will.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Getting Gunnarsson and Husso for Polak was a very good trade (as long as Gunnarsson's hip heals successfully-which it should). Gunnarsson may not be the classical "crease clearer with a nasty streak), but he has for years played consistently well in his own zone vs. opponents' #1 and #2 lines, and played with poise against hard forechecking. Unlike Polak, he doesn't panic and lose the puck on a turnover, or just dump it off the wall, only for the opponents to skate it right back in. He also can skate the puck away from trouble, and out of the defensive zone, and make the good first pass, starting up the offence. Polak does little of that very well. Playing next to either Shattenkirk OR Pietrangelo, he gives The Blues 4 defencemen who are capable of skating the puck out of trouble, leading the rush, and starting the offence off quickly, before defenders can get into position. He eats up a LOT of minutes without over-exposing a defensive weakness (unlike Polak, with his susceptibility to a hard forecheck. I like this trade VERY much even up. Getting a potential quality NHL starting goalie (Husso) out of it, as well, makes it a great trade.

I DO, however, agree that The Blues need to add toughness. But, I don't see this trade hurting Cole's chances for minutes. He's GOT to nail down full time on the 3rd shift, and hope, in the future, to win some PK time.

ecbm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by ecbm »

Understood about the lefthanded shot. Personally I don't feel like it'll make much difference but I hope I'm wrong. I just think this team needs to find some physicality on defense quick. Gunnarson strikes me as another in the Petro-Boumeester-Shattenkirk mold. Being a goalie myself, I appreciate those guys but I really appreciate defensemen who can clear the crease of a big body. I don't see that on the current roster.

Jackman5
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman5 »

ecbm wrote:Understood about the lefthanded shot. Personally I don't feel like it'll make much difference but I hope I'm wrong. I just think this team needs to find some physicality on defense quick. Gunnarson strikes me as another in the Petro-Boumeester-Shattenkirk mold. Being a goalie myself, I appreciate those guys but I really appreciate defensemen who can clear the crease of a big body. I don't see that on the current roster.
^^^This^^^